Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7              11       12       end

Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

s14brent
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

I had a lens sent in to check gritty/sticky zoom, they claimed "impact damage" and voided my warranty. (took over a month in the shop on parts hold and they charged me $427).
When I got it back, the zoom was still the same, maybe even tighter.
I sent it back 2 weeks later since I needed it for a gig and they tried to tell me it was impact damaged again!! (they tried to charge me $242)! I had to fight with them to do the repair for free as it should be (under their repair warranty) and the fact that i just spent over a month and a half without the lens. After talking to a service manager, I got everything approved for free re-repair. Only to wait another 5.5 weeks being on "parts hold". Lens came back like brand new though, it only took almost 3.5 months to get it right.

Mar 04, 2013 at 02:12 AM
Vox Sciurorum
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

lara_ckl wrote:
What I find strange and interesting is that they are quoting $224 to repair the "impact damage". If I am not mistaken, a "clean and check" is already $224. Assuming the quote is the final price, what are they repairing? The scuffs and scratches on the "evidence of impact damage" photos don't need to be repaired. Any internal focus related parts can't possibly (can it?) be repaired or replaced for the same cost as a "clean and check".

As far as I can tell Nikon classifies work into just a few categories and charges an average price for each category.

Some lens damage is repairable by clean and check. If they take it apart, clean the insides, and put it back together they will also do basic alignment checks. I had an "unrepairable" lens apparently fixed by this method. They didn't have the parts to repair it. When it came back the soft upper left corner was sharp again.

Mar 04, 2013 at 02:14 AM
Foggy14
• • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Sorry to hear about your troubles Wayne. I went through the same thing with El Segundo on a lens.

I love my Nikon gear and respect what the engineers in Japan are able to do, but Nikon USA is on probation with me. If they pull this insulting "impact damage" nonsense to avoid a valid warranty claim a second time I'm done with the brand.

Mar 04, 2013 at 04:39 AM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

how about the service center in CA

Mar 04, 2013 at 05:05 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Jun Zhou wrote:

There is one, it recently moved or is moving from El Segundo to the Wilshire District.

Mar 04, 2013 at 05:26 AM
turbodude
• • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Jun Zhou wrote:

this is the only one ive used and they suck

Mar 04, 2013 at 09:25 PM
s14brent
• • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

I lost my wallet in El Segundo. no joke nikon.

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:13 AM
m.sommers00
• • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Post here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1229393/1#12033084

I'll update as things progress. Pray for me!

Dec 31, 2013 at 06:52 PM
Hardcore
• • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Impact Damage. How can we as consumer's fight this? I have had Nikon claim impact damage twice now. I fought tooth and nails and now I take many steps before I even send my camera in to make sure I have some sort of case against them for this blatant fraudulent activity!

They must get enough people to pay. Those that fight it, they seem to eventually "warrant" under what they told me as "good will". What a bunch of crap. Do what you agreed to do. Warrant you damn product. If your losing money, fix your issues rather than pull this crap. Makes me regret switching some days from Canon. Maybe Fuji will be my next camera as they actually seem to care about and listen to their customers!

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Dan Bellyk
• • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

form wrote:
I think Nikon has gone off the deep end for customer service. This in itself is a big part of why I am planning to sell my Nikon setup and go back to Canon full time.

Canon Canada is worse, that's why I switched but Nikon has done this to me as well. Sometimes I wonder if some of the tech's damage the gear by mistake and just pass it off.

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dan Bellyk
• • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Hardcore wrote:
Impact Damage. How can we as consumer's fight this? I have had Nikon claim impact damage twice now. I fought tooth and nails and now I take many steps before I even send my camera in to make sure I have some sort of case against them for this blatant fraudulent activity!

They must get enough people to pay. Those that fight it, they seem to eventually "warrant" under what they told me as "good will". What a bunch of crap. Do what you agreed to do. Warrant you damn product. If your losing money, fix your issues rather than
...Show more

Hey Corey what service centre did you send yours to?

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:52 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Sent my 70-200VRII to Nikon because the aperture was stuck. They fixed it at no cost. So 7 months later I used it with my studio lights, and discovered that setting the aperture to what's shown on my light meter results in 1-stop underexposures. No such issue with my other 4 Nikon lenses, so a reasonable person would assume that Nikon didn't calibrate the aperture after it was repaired. Nikon said the 6-month warranty on repairs had expired, so it will cost $$ to get it calibrated. No sympathy from Nikon.

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Hulot
• •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

BigIronCruiser wrote:
Sent my 70-200VRII to Nikon because the aperture was stuck. They fixed it at no cost. So 7 months later I used it with my studio lights, and discovered that setting the aperture to what's shown on my light meter results in 1-stop underexposures. No such issue with my other 4 Nikon lenses, so a reasonable person would assume that Nikon didn't calibrate the aperture after it was repaired. Nikon said the 6-month warranty on repairs had expired, so it will cost $$ to get it calibrated. No sympathy from Nikon.

you didnt notice any difference in manual mode before?

Jan 01, 2014 at 12:46 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

James R wrote:
What would this class action cover? The oil on the D600 sensor? Or, Nikon's poor customer service? Many have reported returning the camera due to the oil and many have sent it into Nikon for service. Not much of a class action suit IMO. I do believe their CS seems to be hitting bottom. I hope Nikon will turn that division over to a more innovative leader who will re-access every aspect of its operation. I wonder if it would be better to get these complaints off the web and into the hands of Nikon's upper management?

What a good consumer attorney will tell you is; if they engage in a "pattern and practice" of consumer fraud you have a colorable argument for a class action lawsuit.

Depending on the evidence - you may even have a RICO case, which provides for treble damages. RICO is not just for the "mob."

My buddy who is a shark, said if you could get the case filed in California, you stand a better chance of prevailing because their laws are so tough.

Jan 01, 2014 at 12:54 AM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Is there a consumer protection agency against fraudulent treatment of customers for warranty claims in the US? Companies are supposed to do what they say they will, or they can certainly be sued. I expect it's going to take some lawsuits to change Nikon's way. I believe you should start with someone in Washington. I wonder if this could constitute mail fraud, because they get the products via US Mail. Well, for products sent via US Mail.

I believe that some people that are sending in products for warranty repair, need to start having a non affiliated respected shop "inspect" the product for damage from impact or any other misuse or abuse, and get a written inspection report. A sample subset should send their "inspection certificates with the product for repair, and a sample subset should get the inspections done, but not send the certificates, and see if there's any difference in how Nikon classifies repairs. THAT would be interesting. Difficult to pull off, I know without a very concerted and organized effort. I guess nobody would want to be in the no certificate test group. We know what would happen there, huh?

I've been a long time Nikon customer. But I won't be standing in long lines for "new" Nikon gear, since the warranty appears now to not be worth the paper it's written on. Note I say appears. I can't say for sure it does or doesn't, but it sure looks suspicious.

Jan 01, 2014 at 01:15 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

According to my friend, you would need to jump through a lot of hoops to prevail, but others do it in their lawsiuts. Some of the things he said would be critical:

* Clearly photograph the camera upon purchase, especially the parts they claim cou,ld be impact damage.

* Photograph the camera from the same perspectives immediatly before shipment to a Nikon warranty center.

* If the photos you have are clearly devoid of any possible impact damage, then he said you should be able to survive their Rule 56 motion for Summary Judgmnent. Inspection (s) by experts would also be of immeasuarble help.

* If a case survives a Rule 56 hearing, they would likely negotate in earnest because their attorneys would certainly tell them if it goes to a jury, they would most likely lose.

* He also said, be prepared to come up with $100K

My buddy, besides being a shark is an avid amateur photog. He shoots Nikon.

One last item - I reacall, and not too long ago, a post from a Canadian Canon user who got the same "impact damage" claim from Canon. Monkey see, monkey do.

Jan 01, 2014 at 01:33 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Jun Zhou wrote:

I've used both CA SS's in the last 3 years.

No problems, excellent service, quick turn around.

But, no warranty service.

Jan 01, 2014 at 01:40 AM
Hardcore
• • •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Dan Bellyk wrote:
Hey Corey what service centre did you send yours to?

Hey Dan, the problems I had were from the Toronto office. 2 times they claimed impact damage on me. I recently sent my d600 to the Vancouver centre and they repaired my camera no questions. Who knows if there is any correlation though. Disappointing though that both my d800 and d600 have had total mirror failures.

Jan 01, 2014 at 05:48 AM
Dan Bellyk
• • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

I sent a lens in and it came back damaged but the recently sent in my 200VR1 in for cleaning and calibration and there was no charge even though I bought it used. For the most part they are pretty good and being able to borrow gear when I need it is great.

Dan

Jan 01, 2014 at 06:40 AM
aardvark7122
• •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

I had a similar response with Nikon Canada. I received a 55-300 VR lens as a gift Christmas 2012. Wanted to try it out but the weather was miserable. Took a few shots indoors, all of a sudden couldn't see anything through lens, only the faintest amount of light no matter what the aperture or conditions. Sent it to Nikon in Richmond, B.C., was told the problem was impact damage. The camera had never been outdoors or my living room. They told me they would fix it this one time for free but any other problems with the lens and warranty would be voided. Of course I also incurred shipping charges of $50.00 for what was obviously a factory flaw of some kind. A year previously they charged me $350 and 8 weeks in the shop when my D3100 fell onto a heavily carpeted floor a distance of approximately 3 inches and the LCD cracked.

Jan 01, 2014 at 06:54 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password