FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              11       12       end

Archive 2013 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Are they trying to scare you not to send in your defective gear for warranty repair so that they can fatten their bottom line?

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:53 AM
M Lucca
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

OP, maybe you should send them pictures of what true Impact Damage is from this other thread.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1192971

Unless the d800 has lower tolerances when it comes to Impact Damage.

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:03 PM
gpchase
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Kinda funny I run across this thread as just last night I was pm'ing with another Canon user that was getting hosed by Canon Canada for the repair of an impact to a lens he claims never occurred...and a big repair $$...so I asked if he requested the replaced parts returned and apparently they cannot provide...??
Anyways I think what we're seeing here is the results of these companies latest financials...with the disasters recently experienced and world economic turmoil..ultimately the customer pays

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:03 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Simple question, but I am probably asking too much.

If Adorama have Helen Oster, and B&H have Henry Posner, to scan photography forums like FM, why can't Nikon hire someone to deal with these customer service horror stories? (Helen even poped-up to help someone in a Toronto-based photo meetup forum.)

Both Helen and Henry are a huge asset to the company they represent. Nikon should learn from them.

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM
VetraLens
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

lara_ckl wrote:
Simple question, but I am probably asking too much.

If Adorama have Helen Oster, and B&H have Henry Posner, to scan photography forums like FM, why can't Nikon hire someone to deal with these customer service horror stories? (Helen even poped-up to help someone in a Toronto-based photo meetup forum.)

Both Helen and Henry are a huge asset to the company they represent. Nikon should learn from them.

Cynical (but probably correct) answer: Because B&H and Adorama both recognize and respect that consumers have a choice for retailers. There's at least a dozen reputable places online to buy your gear, often at the same price due to MAP and unilateral pricing. It's much more difficult for users to change systems, especially when they're already using what they believe is the best system. Nikon knows people will take the lumps of terrible customer service because they don't want to stop using the products they love.

Feb 27, 2013 at 01:26 PM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Wayne Willison wrote:
Nikon has had it in the "Shop" for focus issues since Feb 20-13. I called today, the 26th, and now they claim there is impact damage and that the new status is RE-ESTIMATE. The girl on the phone said the warranty will be voided because of the damage. She has requested they(the techs) take pictures of the damage and then she will forward those pics to my email. "If you don't here from me in a day or two, feel free to call back," she said.

I have no idea what she is talking about. That camera has never even
...Show more

Yeah, impact damage from one of the techs dropping the camera probably. Just keep on them and if you have to get a lawyer to send them a letter saying you will sue them if they keep BS'ing you.

Hope you get it worked out.

Feb 27, 2013 at 01:55 PM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

turbodude wrote:
fight it! this is what NPS / Nikon USA sent to me as evidence of impact damage to my 70-200, which caused erratic focus issues.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8101/8511716915_6c1e514d00_b.jpg

Look real hard, they said impact damage was so severe that it caused the AF motor to fail. Bent filter ring and casing...

There is a white scuff on the RUBBER RING of the lens! Not even the metal or plastic, THE RUBBER!!!!

If that little scuff made the AF motor brake, then Nikon makes junk.

Feb 27, 2013 at 02:15 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Betacamman wrote:
Hopefully they kept the shipping box.

I've had excellent Nikon Repair service at Melville many times.

But, I sent a lens in for adjustment and it was dropped.
Nikon did not keep or photo the box
USPS would not pay!
They said I sent it in for repair, therefore it must have already had the filter and front lens elements damaged.

I also got an "Impact Damage" report from El Segundo 10 years ago,
They claimed dirt inside the camera.
I sent it in for a free Sensor cleaning, Duhh.
After paying $800 to get my D1 back, it would not focus right and now had lots more "dirt inside it than when I sent it in.
I got a free mailer from Melville and they fixed everything with no charge.

Edited on Feb 27, 2013 at 02:33 PM · View previous versions

Feb 27, 2013 at 02:22 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Shipping insurance is a scam because that's easy money for them to steal from you. Read the fine print before you hand over your money.

Feb 27, 2013 at 02:27 PM
Wayne Willison
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Nikon Service updated my status today claiming impact damage as the reason for not honoring my camera warranty. The charge for the repair is $224.
I called them and argued that there was no damage done by me to the camera. That got me to where they would ship the camera back un-repaired. I then would be able to put my $3000 camera on a shelf and leave it there (the D800 isn't heavy enough to use as a doorstop).
These 2 images show the "impact damage". The one scrape on the bottom corner was either done by Nikon people or by me installing and removing an L-bracket. It is a paint scrape, not a dent from a blow.
The other image shows more prominent scrape marks, one on the lens mount and the other beneath the lever that engages focus on a lens. This lever was replaced by Nikon in Sept 2012. I can't prove they made the scrape marks, because I didn't notice them when the camera was returned to me last September. I can't prove anything about the cause of either of these scrapes because it never occurred to me to take macro pictures for when the company who has many thousands of my dollars comes back to bite me.

What I don't understand is what motivates a large corporation like Nikon to pirate a mere $224 from a customer who holds or shall I say held, their products in such high esteem as to own 3 of their cameras and several top of the line lenses?

Feb 27, 2013 at 03:02 PM
Wayne Willison
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Lens mount area.

Feb 27, 2013 at 03:03 PM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

mshi wrote:
Shipping insurance is a scam because that's easy money for them to steal from you. Read the fine print before you hand over your money.

No it's not.

I shipped a lens with UPS, dropped it off (got a receipt). It was never delivered and never scanned. I filed a clam and showed them the drop off receipt. Got a check a couple weeks later for the insured amount.

Feb 27, 2013 at 03:12 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

What a bunch of BS. Sorry to hear this is happening to you. I got my d800 back from nikon after they replaced the mirror box assembly. Then a pin fell out and they said it was due to impact. I said, bs, it was due to a faulty sub mirror assembly or your technician forgot to put the pin in. The only thing that saved me was I had sent an email the very day I got it back saying the autofocus was still buggered and I would have to send it in again. It was still usuable for a while, until the mirror almost fell out.

I swear they must go through the camera with a fine comb looking for little scrapes and bangs. I am confident though that the mount system on nikon is about half as durable as the canon mount.

Feb 27, 2013 at 03:15 PM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Wayne Willison wrote:
Nikon Service updated my status today claiming impact damage as the reason for not honoring my camera warranty. The charge for the repair is $224.
I called them and argued that there was no damage done by me to the camera. That got me to where they would ship the camera back un-repaired. I then would be able to put my $3000 camera on a shelf and leave it there (the D800 isn't heavy enough to use as a doorstop).
These 2 images show the "impact damage". The one scrape on the bottom corner was either done by Nikon people
...Show more

WOW! That is BS! Nikon has mental problems. A scuff is "impact damage". And how can a scratch inside the mount be from "impact damage" ??

Nikon has gone plain nuts!!!!

Feb 27, 2013 at 03:25 PM
VetraLens
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Wayne Willison wrote:
These 2 images show the "impact damage". The one scrape on the bottom corner was either done by Nikon people
...Show more

Wow. As a Canon user straddling the Nikon line (currently test-driving the D600 in addition to a Canon Kit) this gives me great pause. I know that a handful of reports does not the truth make, but it's quite disheartening to see this same tactic used with any type of frequency.

Feb 27, 2013 at 03:28 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Hardcore wrote:
I am confident though that the mount system on nikon is about half as durable as the canon mount.

If I remember correctly, Nikon has started to make their body mount in China since 2011.

Feb 27, 2013 at 03:42 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Cost of D800 - $2800
Cost of Shipping Insurance - $60
Cost to repair - $224
Images of scuff marks as a means to void warranty - Priceless

Demand to talk to the Manager or go higher if need be.

Feb 27, 2013 at 04:09 PM
tdong
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

i wrote a letter to nikon canada after receive the impact damage bs on a 2 months new D800 and it fixed within 2 days.

Feb 27, 2013 at 04:20 PM
surreal612
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Instead of bashing Nikon as a whole why not send your camera to another repair facility for a second opinion. There will always be a couple of incompetent staff in every company that ruins the company reputation as a whole.

If the second repair facility have proven that it was not damaged from an impact and able to successfully repair your camera then you can write a letter to the first repair facility to reimburse you with shipping cost and insurance that you've paid for.

Remember, you always have a CHOICE instead of getting frustrated which won't do you any good.

Pardon my english

Feb 27, 2013 at 04:34 PM
PaulCal
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

surreal612 wrote:
Instead of bashing Nikon as a whole why not send your camera to another repair facility for a second opinion. There will always be a couple of incompetent staff in every company that ruins the company reputation as a whole.

If the second repair facility have proven that it was not damaged from an impact and able to successfully repair your camera then you can write a letter to the first repair facility to reimburse you with shipping cost and insurance that you've paid for.

Remember, you always have a CHOICE instead of getting frustrated which won't do you any
...Show more

Well, I would say when we buy a product like Nikon or Canon we do so becuz of the warranty not in spite of it. Why would you send a warrantied camera to a non authorized dealer?. You pay for the warranty when you buy the camera new. Its part of the deal so you will have an out should you have an issue. Eh?

Feb 27, 2013 at 04:44 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.