fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

       2       end
  

Archive 2013 · LR4.4RC improves X-Trans Fuji conversions...

  
 
kwalsh
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · LR4.4RC improves X-Trans Fuji conversions...



LR4.4RC is out, specifically calls out improved demosaicing for X-Trans color filter array.

Initial comparisons make it look like a significant improvement. No more water color effect, no more color bleeding, good detail. I'm sure one can obsess over various improvements from other converters, but it now looks like LR/ACR workflow will work well with the X-Trans.

Ken



Feb 26, 2013 at 07:42 AM
douglasf13
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · LR4.4RC improves X-Trans Fuji conversions...


That's good news.


Feb 26, 2013 at 09:34 AM
Joseph Marney
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · LR4.4RC improves X-Trans Fuji conversions...


Much improved, from my quick "pine needle" & "cat fur" tests.


Feb 26, 2013 at 10:22 AM
ricardovaste
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · LR4.4RC improves X-Trans Fuji conversions...


Samples anyone? I'm interested in the "no watercolour effect" that you mention Ken - are you saying it's completely gone?! I'd be impressed, but surprised, given that you can see this in the JPEGS.

Please do share, I'm interested.



Feb 26, 2013 at 10:29 AM
naturephoto1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · LR4.4RC improves X-Trans Fuji conversions...


Here is a difficult image (my first) that was underexposed of a sunset down my street in January, taken with my Fui X-E1 with my Leica 35-70mm F4 Vario Elmar lens and processed through LR 4.4RC.

Rich







Feb 26, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Joseph Marney
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · LR4.4RC improves X-Trans Fuji conversions...


I could do a comparison this evening, as I haven't updated my desktop yet.


Feb 26, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Brody LeBlanc
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · LR4.4RC improves X-Trans Fuji conversions...



Blending In - Fujifilm X-Pro1 w/ Leica-R 35/2 by brodyl.91, on Flickr

Gray - Fujifilm X-Pro1 w/ Leica-R 35/2 - Speedbooster by brodyl.91, on Flickr
I don't do a lot of landscapes, but it seems like they done good.



Feb 26, 2013 at 11:14 AM
ricardovaste
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · LR4.4RC improves X-Trans Fuji conversions...


Some leaves, anyone?


Feb 26, 2013 at 11:30 AM
kwalsh
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · LR4.4RC improves X-Trans Fuji conversions...


ricardovaste wrote:
Samples anyone? I'm interested in the "no watercolour effect" that you mention Ken - are you saying it's completely gone?! I'd be impressed, but surprised, given that you can see this in the JPEGS.

Please do share, I'm interested.


Sorry, what I probably should have said is "no additional watercolor effect compared to JPEGs". It appears to be a significant improvement over the previous LR/ACR handling and gets much closer to what JPEG processing looked like.

Some comparisons were posted here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50930892

and here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50930793

and a whole comparison article from DPR:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/1550547764/adobes-fujifilm-x-trans-sensor-processing-tested

Personally I think the whole X-Trans thing causes more problems then it solves, but at least now it seems going to an ACR/LR workflow won't make it significantly worse.

Ken



Feb 26, 2013 at 12:07 PM
hiepphotog
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · LR4.4RC improves X-Trans Fuji conversions...


A short list of some comparisons out there:

http://www.fujirumors.com/feedback-lightroom-4-4-and-acr-7-4-release-candidates/



Feb 26, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Brody LeBlanc
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · LR4.4RC improves X-Trans Fuji conversions...


kwalsh wrote:
Sorry, what I probably should have said is "no additional watercolor effect compared to JPEGs". It appears to be a significant improvement over the previous LR/ACR handling and gets much closer to what JPEG processing looked like.

Some comparisons were posted here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50930892

and here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50930793

and a whole comparison article from DPR:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/1550547764/adobes-fujifilm-x-trans-sensor-processing-tested

Personally I think the whole X-Trans thing causes more problems then it solves, but at least now it seems going to an ACR/LR workflow won't make it significantly worse.

Ken


Shoot a lot of work at 6400 and tell me the X-Trans isn't helpful.



Feb 26, 2013 at 12:16 PM
buggz2k
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · LR4.4RC improves X-Trans Fuji conversions...


I'm wanting X-Trans to continue to grow.
Foveon as well.
I'm not thinking of one winning over the other.
I'm getting an X-Trans body soon.




Feb 26, 2013 at 12:38 PM
kwalsh
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · LR4.4RC improves X-Trans Fuji conversions...


Brody LeBlanc wrote:
Shoot a lot of work at 6400 and tell me the X-Trans isn't helpful.


Shoot a lot of work at base ISO and tell me the X-Trans isn't hurtful

But yes, fair point, and the reason I was happy to see the better LR/ACR support.

Ken



Feb 26, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Brody LeBlanc
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · LR4.4RC improves X-Trans Fuji conversions...


kwalsh wrote:
Shoot a lot of work at base ISO and tell me the X-Trans isn't hurtful

But yes, fair point, and the reason I was happy to see the better LR/ACR support.

Ken


Ahh fair enough. See, to me I feel like the X-trans cameras weren't necessarily aimed at all photography pursuits like landscape/cityscape/still-life, but at the same time I do get what you mean.
I mean, when I buy a camera I want to use it for whatever idea/image presents itself, not just what I "usually" shoot.
On the other hand, doing a lot of events and low-light work with the X-Pro1, it has proved to be an invaluable tool.
I loved my D700, M8, and 5DmkII (well, the 5D not as much as the other two) but I don't think I would have been able to pull off everything I've done with my X-Pro1.
For me, it's sort of a best of both worlds camera. Small, discrete but still a powerhouse of IQ.
Still, it's probably been the most frustrating camera to own as well.
I mean, I bought it last April and now almost a year later we're still getting the problems worked out.
But when I think back, was buying the X-Pro1 the right choice?
Yes, for me I'd buy it a million times over.
I only hope the X series of cameras continues to grow and gain popularity.
My next camera will probably be whatever replaces the XE-1 (I mainly use alt lenses and find myself using the OVF less and less.)
I'm pretty darn impressed with Adobe's update but still think C1 and SP5 might have the upper hand.
Either way, I'll probably stick with LR. It's just so dang easy to use.



Feb 26, 2013 at 01:07 PM
jtchuk
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · LR4.4RC improves X-Trans Fuji conversions...


Maybe I'm missing something here but what is it about low ISO performance that is hurtful?

I don't own a camera with X-Trans so I don't know much about low ISO performance, I've just heard that high ISO performance is pretty amazing.



Feb 26, 2013 at 02:59 PM
Jman13
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · LR4.4RC improves X-Trans Fuji conversions...


I think the low ISO shots look pretty darn good. The non-fixed Adobe RAW conversion could lead to garbage from time to time, but the 4.4 update fixes that. Looks really good to me.


Feb 26, 2013 at 03:01 PM
Vern Dewit
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · LR4.4RC improves X-Trans Fuji conversions...


Good news!


Feb 26, 2013 at 03:23 PM
kwalsh
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · LR4.4RC improves X-Trans Fuji conversions...


jtchuk wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something here but what is it about low ISO performance that is hurtful?

I don't own a camera with X-Trans so I don't know much about low ISO performance, I've just heard that high ISO performance is pretty amazing.


The sensor loses fine color detail at low ISO. And LR/ACR4.4, C1 or the JPEG engine can't fix this. It is inherent in the filter array. It is by no means the end of the world, but it is a trade off. Regions of fine color detail go monochrome or suffer other issues with the X-Trans when they are perfectly rendered by a standard Bayer CFA of identical resolution (e.g. NEX5N).

So, comparing say to the NEX5N you'll see that the XE1 has a bit less chroma noise at high ISO but also less chroma detail at base ISO. And this is exactly what you'd expect from two nearly identical sensors with different color filter arrays. The Fuji optimizes high ISO over low ISO performance in they CFA choice - and that will be very good for some photographers and less good for others. And really, the differences are not that huge in either case.

Ken

P.S. You can examine for yourself with the DPR studio comparisons:

XE-1 with ACR4.4

NEX 5N

Look especially at the overlap of the blue and green feathers and the blue and gold pattern on the currency on the left edge of the board.



Feb 26, 2013 at 04:46 PM
naturephoto1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · LR4.4RC improves X-Trans Fuji conversions...


kwalsh wrote:
The sensor loses fine color detail at low ISO. And LR/ACR4.4, C1 or the JPEG engine can't fix this. It is inherent in the filter array. It is by no means the end of the world, but it is a trade off. Regions of fine color detail go monochrome or suffer other issues with the X-Trans when they are perfectly rendered by a standard Bayer CFA of identical resolution (e.g. NEX5N).

So, comparing say to the NEX5N you'll see that the XE1 has a bit less chroma noise at high ISO but also less chroma detail at base ISO. And this
...Show more →

There appears to be a fair amount of color difference as well as exposure difference and possibly contrast difference between the images. I would guess by sight that there is about 1/3 stop difference between the exposures. The Fuji image appears to be cleaner than the NEX image.

Rich



Feb 26, 2013 at 04:58 PM
Brody LeBlanc
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · LR4.4RC improves X-Trans Fuji conversions...


Joseph Marney wrote:
Here is a compare at 200% that shows the difference pretty well.


This is an excellent comparison. Geez, no wonder people were so unhappy with 4.3. That's hideous.



Feb 26, 2013 at 07:54 PM
       2       end




FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

       2       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account