Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · What do you like about Canon?

StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · What do you like about Canon?

Prior to my move to Canon my rather large mitts were quite rough from brick, block and other cement and carpentry day work, but after injury all rough skin was gone as was muscle, leaving soft as a baby's arse hands...

Canon gear was smoother, had more grip, less rough/sharp edged, a bit lighter, even their lenses, grips, flash, compared to Nikon whose buttons n switches felt even sharper/tighter...for me it's always been about feel in hand, ease of operation...ergonomics...Nikon, Pentax, Olympus always to slick, slipped out my hands.

The move to AF gave me pause, with Canon dumping us FD folks I nearly made the switch to Nokin, but the EOS-3 with it's classic T-90 feel and ECF kept me tightly in the C Club.

All the gear just feels right and along the way, although slow for some, Canon for me has raised the bar 'special feature' wise enough times for me to stay.

From the A-1's LED laden viewfinder, to the T-90s hefty curves, the EOS-3s ECF, the 1Vs lightening speed and handling, to my 1st digital the 40D with it's three 'C' custom modes that are most welcomed given my still fingers...the other guy stays the other guy.

For me a huge positive is Canon's customer support, problem acknowledgement and fixs...Canon is just bigger and thus can/does provide better service, including, CPS, the CLP and the CLC all great advantages.

Pros
1 - Ergonomics, usability
2 - Superior Glass, selection
3 - Best digital colors, not a fan of cold blue/yellowish green skin
4 - Innovation/Introduction of new advanced features, even short lived ones like ECF
5 - Back to ergonomics, camera/lens combos, balance, just feels/seems better

Cons
1 - This higher pricing as of late is torquing my wrench and I'd prefer a softer touch
2 - Although I'm happy with Canon's sensor tech, I do wish Canon would address the only until recently MP/DR debate that Exmor has raised, sure hope they do for you pros who most certainly deserve that effort...

The pro's are 99% for this humble shooter, Canon is my brand...fanboy, IDK..I just like tools that make it easier to shoot, this promotes my creative and inquisitive nature, and in the end makes my time spent more satisfying, happier....so EOS fun it is.
Jerry

Edited on Feb 25, 2013 at 05:50 PM · View previous versions

Feb 25, 2013 at 02:46 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.2 #2 · What do you like about Canon?

Lenses. Though pricing for new ones has moved to nosebleed territory there is a lively and generally affordable used market for those of us without deep pockets.

Ergonomics of he 1D series. I've played with or used all of the major brands. I think someone at Canon actually studies what fits well in the hand and fosters fluid use.

(Have a few grumps also, but keep it positive here!)

Feb 25, 2013 at 02:55 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · What do you like about Canon?

MP-E 65 lens. For everything else there is a replacement.

Feb 25, 2013 at 03:13 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.2 #4 · What do you like about Canon?

The fact that I have some Canon gear. Definitely better than having none at all.
I haven't used the other systems for ages so I don't know if they're any better/worse now. I chose Canon over Nikon in 2007 because their 17-55 had IS while Nikon's didn't (the price was the same). Been sticking with it ever since though if I had to choose now, I might've chosen Nikon instead (if I had unlimited money, that is).

P.S. Oh wait, how could I forget... the APS-H sensor. I love it because it's better than the APS-C one but removes the worst performing corners of the FF lenses. Though the downside is that most of the excellent dedicated APS-C lenses (including ultrawides) are not usable.

Edited on Feb 25, 2013 at 03:20 PM · View previous versions

Feb 25, 2013 at 03:14 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · What do you like about Canon?

The depth and performance of their current lens lineup is truly remarkable. Every single L lens they produced in the last 3-4 years is nothing short but amazing. I am still blown away by the 24-70mm Mark II even after almost 6 months of using it.

Feb 25, 2013 at 03:16 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · What do you like about Canon?

retrofocus wrote:
MP-E 65 lens. For everything else there is a replacement.

Really? How about the TS-E 17/4L, EF 50/1.2L, EF 85/1.2L II, and EF 200/1.8L ?

I don't consider the AF Nikkor 85/1.4 and AF 200/2 to be replacements for their Canon counterparts; alternatives, yes. Also, the Nikkor 50/1.2 manual focus lens isn't a replacement for the EF 50/1.2L. YMMV.

Also, for many lenses with equivalent specs, the Canon EF and TS-E variants are superior, n'est ce pas?

Feb 25, 2013 at 03:32 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.2 #7 · What do you like about Canon?

For me, I love the IQ that Canon bodies have given me over the years. I also like and appreciate that I can puchase great L lenses for ressonable prices (see: 17-40, 24-105, 70-200 f/4 non-IS).

There really isn't much I can complain when it comes to Canon.

-Nick

Feb 25, 2013 at 03:40 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · What do you like about Canon?

Love everything about canon but the noise

Feb 25, 2013 at 04:12 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.2 #9 · What do you like about Canon?

jcolwell wrote:
Really? How about the TS-E 17/4L, EF 50/1.2L, EF 85/1.2L II, and EF 200/1.8L ?

I don't consider the AF Nikkor 85/1.4 and AF 200/2 to be replacements for their Canon counterparts; alternatives, yes. Also, the Nikkor 50/1.2 manual focus lens isn't a replacement for the EF 50/1.2L. YMMV.

Also, for many lenses with equivalent specs, the Canon EF and TS-E variants are superior, n'est ce pas?

I understood the OPs question in regard what I would especially like in my own current Canon gear which makes it unique. I never had a 85/1.2 lens and I have no need for it. Same for the 17/4 T/S - no need (I prefer the 24 T/S instead which is also made by other manufacturers). Again, no need for a 200/1.8 either.

I like the Canon 50/1.2 a lot, but don't see it as irreplaceable in comparison to good and fast 50 mm lenses from other brands either.

Even I like my Canon glass, I don't see it as vastly superior compared to other manufacturers glass. Given that I am only talking about MY current gear, not other lenses where I have no experience with and no need for.

Feb 25, 2013 at 04:22 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · What do you like about Canon?

mttran wrote:

Don't know if you've tried a 5D3 but the noise on that thing is incredible.

I shot an event last week at 2000 ISO, the highest I have ever used and had to apply very little NR in Lightroom, astonishing, and I hate noise.

Feb 25, 2013 at 04:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.2 #11 · What do you like about Canon?

AGeoJO wrote:
The depth and performance of their current lens lineup is truly remarkable. Every single L lens they produced in the last 3-4 years is nothing short but amazing. I am still blown away by the 24-70mm Mark II even after almost 6 months of using it.

Yes - I have to agree with that.

I can't wait to see what they produce with the next set of lenses. Much as I love the 50L I'd love to see what Canon could do with a new one. Could they make it optically nearly as good wide open as stopped down, as they have the 24-70 II?

Feb 25, 2013 at 04:35 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · What do you like about Canon?

mttran wrote:

Michael, have you tried the silent shutter mode on the 5D Mark III ?

Feb 25, 2013 at 04:45 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.2 #13 · What do you like about Canon?

Lenses, the new RT flash system and the new focusing system. I just wish they would stop changing the functions of the dials when I change modes!

Oh, ^^ and the silent mode on the 5D3 is awesomely quiet compared to anything Nikon currently has.

Feb 25, 2013 at 04:57 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.2 #14 · What do you like about Canon?

I got started with Canon with the Elan film body based on friends recommendations that Canon products were good and more affordable than Nikon. I've stuck with Canon because they've been reliable tools that have never failed me and continued to impress as new models come out. I'm familiar and satisfied with their system and I've not been given any reason to change.

Canon's lens lineup is amazing with at least four tiers of expense/features. While Canon sells the big whites, big wides, tilt shifts and f2.8 L zooms, they also produce the f4 L zoom range that produces excellent image quality at reasonable cost - I include the unique 100-400 lens in this group. And they make the 70-300 non-L and 55-250 EFs tiers for less obsessive consumers. Then there are the nice non-L primes. Something for everybody and every application.

And I have to add that I'm an unapologetic fan of the 5D line. I now have all three and each has expanded the capture range and ease of use but retained the excellent image quality of the original. Don't know if I'll be able to let my 5Dc go or not.

Feb 25, 2013 at 05:01 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · What do you like about Canon?

A couple "likes" of mine about Canon -- the manuals are clear and the indexes are well arranged, and the camera menus are more intuitive for me.

Really like the imaging characteristics, not too theatrical or over-cooked. Nice rendition, especially in the 1D/1Ds-series bodies.

Lenses I love and cherish: 16-35L II, 24 TS-E II, 50/1.2L, 100L, 28-300L, and even the 15-85 IS. I don't own it, but I love the new 24-70L II.

The ergonomics and controls. For example ,I prefer the 60D w/ grip to the D7000 w/ grip, and prefer the 1D series to all the Nikon pro and semi-pro models.

Last, but certainly not least: CPS!

Feb 25, 2013 at 05:04 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #16 · What do you like about Canon?

1) Generally prompt and courteous repair service.

2) Best lens selection.

3) That they'll announce when something has a problem and when it's fixed.

There are other things I like, but those 3 are Canon strong points (although #1 is mostly a U. S. difference). And for some people the lenses aren't as big a difference, I know.

Feb 25, 2013 at 05:07 PM
campyone
• •
p.2 #17 · What do you like about Canon?

My first serious digital camera was a Nikon D100, which I bought because I had Nikon lenses from my 35mm film days. I switched to Canon because of the 5D, which was a relatively inexpensive, full-frame, high-mpx (for the time) camera, and because Canon lenses generally seemed to be less expensive than Nikon. If I were starting today I'd probably buy a Nikon D800-E but it's not important enough for me to switch from Canon to Nikon, I'm generally happy with my Canon gear.

Feb 25, 2013 at 05:09 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · What do you like about Canon?

retrofocus wrote:
I understood the OPs question in regard what I would especially like in my own current Canon gear which makes it unique. I never had a 85/1.2 lens and I have no need for it. Same for the 17/4 T/S - no need (I prefer the 24 T/S instead which is also made by other manufacturers). Again, no need for a 200/1.8 either.

I like the Canon 50/1.2 a lot, but don't see it as irreplaceable in comparison to good and fast 50 mm lenses from other brands either.

Even I like my Canon glass, I don't see it as
...Show more

Fair enough. I took it in a more broad sense. OTOH, all of the lenses in my list are in my posession; otherwise, I wouldn't have mentioned them. Sorry about the implied criticism.

Feb 25, 2013 at 05:16 PM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.2 #19 · What do you like about Canon?

I went with Canon in 2005 partly because iq seemed better than D70 but also because I could use my old Nikkors more easily on the XT! I like using my old alts sometimes. I needed to when I first went digital, couldn't afford all af lenses.

I've heard the D800 is better, but after 15+ yrs of being not that thrilled with Nikon, I might not get around to finding out for myself.

Ever try picking up an old af lens for a D40? No af. Nikon has always had lens compatibility issues. whether non ai on an FM-2n or no af with older af lenses on lower end newer bodies or no metering with mf lenses on D70.

Feb 25, 2013 at 05:21 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.2 #20 · What do you like about Canon?

jcolwell wrote:
Fair enough. I took it in a more broad sense. OTOH, all of the lenses in my list are in my posession; otherwise, I wouldn't have mentioned them. Sorry about the implied criticism.

Absolutely okay, no problem! I am sure that professional wildlife shooters definitely see a big advantage in Canon lenses with many choices from 400 mm onwards. Good thing is that I definitely like all my Canon (and Sigma) glass, I never made a bad choice here with Canon either. That's why I am also sticking with it for now. My lens collection for my personal use is complete, so I am fully happy and set here and continue using my gear.

Feb 25, 2013 at 05:47 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password