1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · Finally Getting in the Door

a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Finally Getting in the Door

SThom3095 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the awesome responses! It is giving me a lot to think about it, and I appreciate the advice.

So, I'm sorry to mention Nikon over here in the Canon Forum... But what I'm hearing a lot of in this advice is that either a rebel or a 5D would be a good place for me to start. I do not really want to go the Rebel route, because I want a camera that I do not have to replace as soon, and I feel like I would end up wanting to replace the Rebel before the 5D. But
...Show more
i am a Nikon D700, i had previously used, and started with Canon, Canon XS,XSI,20D,30,40D, 5D, 5DMK 2, they are very nice, and some I hade more than twice, sadly, but my story ends with this advice, I loved the Canon 5D MK I, and hands down recommend it as a tool to learn for many years, and learn is what you will do with outstanding iq, for the amount paid today!! Get it, a 50mm 1.8D, and any other lenses you like, with or without the "L" designation, it means nothing in the terms of what they can resolve, its not like you will not that that shot without one, yes, they can get you places, albeit at a budget most of us cannot afford, and those of us than can, have an idea where any other lens will take us. Good luck on your journey, and enjoy the ride, photography is fun, cool, and a staple of many generations, with that one shot they will show for many years, and pass on to their young, just look at some other posters here, for the proof!

Feb 24, 2013 at 03:39 PM
Chris Humphrey
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Finally Getting in the Door

As someone else mentioned here earlier... While it's seemingly counter intuitive to new photographers, the lenses are generally much more important than the cameras. I'd always pick pro lenses with a consumer camera than the top of the line camera with consumer lenses. That's a no brainer, and I'd expect many on here would agree.

Ultimately, I think Canon gives you better options for your glass than Nikon and I'm SURE that everyone on this board anyways would agree with that.

I'd look at getting a couple primes. They're sharper, and give you MUCH more flexibility than cheaper kit lenses. Look at maybe a 50mm f1.8 (or a 1.4) a 35mm f2, or a 28mm f1.8. An 85mm f1.8 would be a great starter lens for portraits. While you might eventually upgrade the other lenses, the 85mm f1.8 could stay in your camera bag for years. (I've been shooting professionally since 2004, and I still have it in my bag).

Anyways, best of luck and welcome to the club.

Feb 24, 2013 at 03:41 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Finally Getting in the Door

15Bit wrote:
I would say that you would be best considering the choice between Canon and Nikon as a choice between systems rather than a choice between cameras. Check especially that your chosen system has the lenses, flashes etc you think you will want in the future, and compare prices. Then pick what suits you best.

That's a very good advice, though I think the average user would struggle to find meaningful differences between the two. BTW, have you held them and got an impression on UI and menu system?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Feb 25, 2013 at 06:06 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Finally Getting in the Door

Dont be assuming just because a camera has a crop sensor its not good for landscapes.

I've shot award winning landscapes with canon crop sensor bodies. A t2i or T4i is an incredibly versatile and competent tool.

Yes full frame is better, I shoot a 5d2 now, but you would be hard pressed to notice a difference in low ISO large prints.

FF bodies come into their own for larger prints, higher ISO and shallow dof/subject isolation.

I would recommend a rebel or 40/50/60d , kit lens+ 50mm or 17-50f2.8, a tripod and cable release and a handful of filters ( hitech 2/3 stop grad and a polariser). Buy as much of this used as you can.

See how you go with those and learn some techniques (landscapes often dont happen by chance) then think about filling holes (10-22mm) or upgrading something. I know you dont want to but no one knows how you will go shooting. Some people end up preferring wide, some end up liking longer focal lengths.

For me (on crop) most of my shots are 10-12mm or 16-24m.

Feb 25, 2013 at 06:45 PM
Red 90
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Finally Getting in the Door

I guess the first question is if the $1000.00 just a starting budget with more money to be invested afterwards. Photography can be an expensive hobby.

If 1K is about what you really want to spend and not much more beyond that, I would stick to a crop sensor and and entry rebel body. I would also go used as well as there are a lot of used rebel bodies out there with kit lenses that will suit your use. What I would do is the following

Used T2i or T3i with 18-55mm kit lens = $500.00 or so
Tripod and head = $200.00 (used)
50mm F1.8 = $100.00
Flash = 420ex or 430ex = $200.00 (used)

That will pretty much equal up to your 1K budget. This is what I think will be the minimal you'll need to achieve the goals you want. Tripods are important for landscapes. You can get around the wide angle by stitching pictures together. The 50mm F1.8 is good for portraits shots with the crop sensor. You'll also realize the on camera flash sucks and the use of external flash and bouncing be needed, especially for the kit lens where it's not as fast.

If 1K is just a starting budget and you really want to go full frame, I'd go with a 5D classic and start with a 50mm F1.4 lens used. At least you can start shooting and save up again till you can get a tripod, more lenses and a flash.

Feb 25, 2013 at 07:07 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Finally Getting in the Door

Get yourself a Canon Rebel, or similar Nikon with the two kit lenses. Based on your experience with the camera you get, you can then start thinking about upgrading based on your needs. Don't get caught up on the gear though --- there is definitely a "grass is greener" feeling when it comes to photography. Many people assume that if they get a better camera, it will improve their photography --- only to realize that it's the photographer that makes the difference, and there is no substitute for creativity.

Feb 25, 2013 at 07:34 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Finally Getting in the Door

saneproduction wrote:
A used t2i with the 18-55 IS and 55-250 IS kit lenses for as cheap as possible. Add a sigma 30 1.4 if you need low light shooting. That is what I got my dad. I set my brother up with a used 40D which is also a good choice. A used 60D could work, but is taking up a lot of your budget that could go to lenses.

+100!

T2i, 18-55IS, 55-250IS

Great set up!

And best yet -- altogether only about $600 used.

Feb 25, 2013 at 08:06 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Finally Getting in the Door

enough left to buy a sigma 30 1.4

Feb 25, 2013 at 08:14 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Finally Getting in the Door

Personally, I had a D7000 at the same time I had a T2i. I tested them against each other with several good quality lenses, such as the AF 60/2.8 macro and the EF-S 60/2.8 Macro, and I preferred the T2i imaging. I eventually sold the D7000, keeping the T2i (then the 60D), and the 5D. I wouldn't get a 5D at this time with your $1000 to spend. You can do so much more with the T2i, including video and Live View, and a wide range of focal lengths in those lenses we've been recommending. Trust me, you'd be upgrading from the 5D just as soon!

Don't let ego cloud your judgement. As Rob says, some really great shots can be had with the crop sensors.

Buy an aftermarket extended battery grip for the T2i and it becomes much more manageable.

Feb 25, 2013 at 08:17 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Finally Getting in the Door

saneproduction wrote:
enough left to buy a sigma 30 1.4

Or the amazing EF-S 60/2.8 Macro.

Feb 25, 2013 at 08:32 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Finally Getting in the Door

Canon 5Dc + Canon 50 f/1.4...full frame with and the 50 f/1.4 will let you shoot indoor low light...use the center focal point with the 5Dc...excellent results...

All shot at f/2

http://jeffersonposter.smugmug.com/photos/i-5qtBR4s/0/XL/i-5qtBR4s-XL.jpg

http://jeffersonposter.smugmug.com/photos/i-DVJdrhR/0/XL/i-DVJdrhR-XL.jpg

And decent bokeh from the Canon 50 f/1.4

http://jeffersonposter.smugmug.com/photos/i-55PgkLC/0/XL/i-55PgkLC-XL.jpg

Feb 25, 2013 at 09:02 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Finally Getting in the Door

Jefferson no idea what those shots are supposed to do?

Current crop bodies are very close tot he 5d in terms of IQ, have higher resolution and things like live view and sensor cleaning and even auto modes.

Feb 25, 2013 at 09:09 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Finally Getting in the Door

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...and those shots are doing just fine

Jefferson

Feb 25, 2013 at 09:15 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Finally Getting in the Door

RobDickinson wrote:
Current crop bodies are very close tot he 5d in terms of IQ, have higher resolution and things like live view and sensor cleaning and even auto modes.

They are close, but not quite there yet (which shows just how incredible the 5D was when released). Though there are many advantages to buying a camera that isn't 6-7 years old, both in features and probable lifetime. I speak as a very happy 5Dc owner when i recommend an xxD to the OP - i don't think a used 5D is the best use of his limited budget.

Personally i would tend towards a used xxD rather than Rebel just to get the bigger viewfinder.

Feb 26, 2013 at 01:19 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Finally Getting in the Door

Ben Horne wrote:
...Many people assume that if they get a better camera, it will improve their photography --- only to realize that it's the photographer that makes the difference, and there is no substitute for creativity.

I don't completely buy into the don't-buy-better-gear-until-you-know-you-need-it philosophy. I bought a couple of my lenses speculatively (just to see what i could do with them) and found they enabled my creativity and quickly i found myself taking pictures i hadn't even remotely considered before i got the lenses and used them. Similarly, i upgraded from a 350D to a 5D a couple of years back and found it a refreshing change (though not one without some negatives).

I would agree that you can't buy creativity, but i think you can enable it via wise purchases.

Feb 26, 2013 at 01:38 AM
kevinsullivan
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Finally Getting in the Door

Used T2i ($325)
Used Tamron 17-50/2.8 non-IS ($325)
Used Canon 70-300 IS ($300)

= $950, and plenty good enough equipment to produce great photographs

Feb 26, 2013 at 02:03 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Finally Getting in the Door

not the best example, but, Canon 5D MKIM EF 85mm 1.8, handheld.

_MG_9985 by aNikkorGuy, on Flickr

_MG_0038 by aNikkorGuy, on Flickr

Feb 26, 2013 at 02:32 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Finally Getting in the Door

in the hands of the unskilled, it rocks, and it looks beautiful!!

IMG_3124 by aNikkorGuy, on Flickr

The Barn by aNikkorGuy, on Flickr

Feb 26, 2013 at 02:39 AM
Red 90
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Finally Getting in the Door

It's very easy to convince yourself that you need better equipment. When you mull over specs, read reviews, other peoples comments, they will always say the newer model or higher end model has features or qualities that you can't live without. Be careful not to get caught up in that.

Be mindful of what you need exactly to get the photography you want done. This determines the focal length of the lens you need, whether or not you need good autofocus tracking, fast frames per second, megapixels, tripod, weather sealing, etc... etc.. etc.. Then match what you need done with the budget you have. You will always end up with some compromises in your decisions but you need to balance between how much you want to spend to what abilities you need your equipment to do.

This is why there are so many different lenses and camera types. They all suit different uses and budgets.

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Finally Getting in the Door

Kitting out a crop body with nice glass like the sigma 30 1.4, canon 17-55 2.8IS (or Tamron 17-50), Tokina 11-16 etc is just plain cheaper and more functional than full frame. You have to spend a lot more to get the same kind of glass. Once you have a critical mass of nice gear and use it to it's max, you can sell it for close to what you paid (if you buy used) and move on to a full frame kit. Don't fall into buying lenses that will work of full frame later, that is a fallacy. There is lots of good used crop gear out there for people who want to get started.

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.