Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · New Logo Feedback

Marcus Watts
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · New Logo Feedback

I am surprised anyone thinks 1 is decent. It's pretty horrid.

Feb 23, 2013 at 05:25 AM
johnrg
• • •
p.2 #2 · New Logo Feedback

I like #1 the best, too. I agree with Ian that it's the most distinctive.

Feb 23, 2013 at 05:28 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · New Logo Feedback

I've spotted another reason to like #1. Alone among the contestants, it spells your name using lower-case letters. All the others use all-caps or small-caps, which makes a name marginally harder to read. The up-and-down variation in shape of lower-case letters makes words easier to distinguish, even at small sizes.

Feb 23, 2013 at 05:29 AM
WNStudio
• • •
p.2 #4 · New Logo Feedback

First reaction- i thought that in no 1 there's kn not kw. My vote for no. 3.

Feb 23, 2013 at 06:24 AM
camerausername
• •
p.2 #5 · New Logo Feedback

I feel like the little separated part of the k is supposed to represent something but I don't know what; that makes me not like it.

Feb 23, 2013 at 06:32 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.2 #6 · New Logo Feedback

#1 looks like KN, #3 looks like KU

Feb 23, 2013 at 02:47 PM
CRFTony
• • •
p.2 #7 · New Logo Feedback

The font in #4 looks too similar to Scriptina to me and that's something every weekend warrior uses and makes the logo look generic. I like 1 the best.

Feb 23, 2013 at 03:11 PM
kwhaley29
• •
p.2 #8 · New Logo Feedback

Ian Ivey wrote:
There's one more thing to consider. I infer from the variety of colors that you did not indicate a color palette preference. Red is exciting, blue is cool, so you might be biased in favor of #3 just because of the respective designers' color choices. But if you aren't starting off with a specific color requirement, and if the designer of #1 can produce it with red (or orange or yellow) rather than blue, it might be interesting to see how it feels. I don't know whether that would be an improvement or not. But the industrial feel of
...Show more

Ian, thanks for your input. I asked the designer to swap out the blue with a few other colors and here is the result:

Feb 23, 2013 at 06:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ian Ivey
• • •
p.2 #9 · New Logo Feedback

That's interesting. I'm not sure whether I like orange or blue better. I think yellow is spiffy against black background, but you may not want to lock yourself into a dark background like that. Orange might be a happy medium.

You've asked a bunch of photographers to (over)analyze your photography logo. The reaction you get here, almost by definition, would logically be biased toward the kinds of things other photographers tend to gravitate toward. I continue to favor #1 both because it's not a typical photographer's logo, and also because it's easy to see and read. That design also shows more typographical creativity than the other three (novice designers tend not to modify letterforms as much as this designer has).

I look forward to seeing what you choose.

Feb 23, 2013 at 07:42 PM
gazzaf1
• •
p.2 #10 · New Logo Feedback

The major problem with #1 is it looks more like KN, with the N at an angle. The W doesn't pop out. The only fix I see is to reduce the size of the W to fit and look correct.

Feb 23, 2013 at 09:21 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.2 #11 · New Logo Feedback

gazzaf1 wrote:
The major problem with #1 is it looks more like KN, with the N at an angle. The W doesn't pop out. The only fix I see is to reduce the size of the W to fit and look correct.

That's only if you see a strong need to make the letters unmistakable, which I'd argue is counter-productive. It's not necessary to make the "w" obviously a "w" to every person who has never seen the logo. Most people who either know the brand or will see the logo in context won't have a problem understanding it. Those who glance at it and think it's an "n" without further investigation are irrelevant to him.

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.2 #12 · New Logo Feedback

I think #1 is weak no matter how you look at it.

The rest are fine.

Feb 24, 2013 at 07:25 AM
Sam Hassas
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · New Logo Feedback

1. doesn't say photography.
2. best of the four.
3. eh.
4. generic and over done.

**photographers are the worst to seek logo advice from. Go to designers.

Feb 24, 2013 at 09:41 AM
kwhaley29
• •
p.2 #14 · New Logo Feedback

After spending some time seeing what each logo might look like in various applications I decided to go with the first one (but with the orange). The red square looked like it would work great with certain printed materials, but as a watermark it seemed to busy and hard to read. Also with it being such a strong logo in terms of color and the signature element, it felt like it was dominating everything including my photos.

The vertical version of first logo works great as a watermark even when transparent. I also like that this one seems to have some versatility in terms of being able to separate out certain components of the logo to be used throughout the brand. For example, I think that the text by itself would fit very well into the header of my existing site if I wanted to go that route, whereas the font used in the third logo wouldn't be nearly as compatible.

Thanks again for all of the feedback.

Feb 24, 2013 at 05:23 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.2 #15 · New Logo Feedback

Post again when you've updated your site. I'll be interested to see how it works out.

Feb 24, 2013 at 06:57 PM
Joshua Gull
• •
p.2 #16 · New Logo Feedback

1 or 2 for me depending on what you want your brand to say (1 being more creative and edge, 2 being more classy and timeless).

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:47 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password