New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · DX vs FX mode

ShutteredMe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DX vs FX mode

I was comparing shots from my D800e body in DX mode and FX mode. When I zoom in on both pictures the size of the object is the same at 100%. I was thinking that at 100%, a DX shot would show more of the object. Can someone explain to me why they would be the same at 100% view? Sorry maybe a stupid question...

D800E with 35mm F2D

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM
mfletch
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DX vs FX mode

The DX mode is simply a crop of the full size image. 100% will be the same size.

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:39 PM
plubbry
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DX vs FX mode

Yup, the DX crop mode simply 'cuts' the perimeter off the image. The max detail you'll see is dependent on the pixel density of the sensor. Since that doesn't change, DX crop mode will show the same detail as an FX shot but be 'missing' all the edges.

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:46 PM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · DX vs FX mode

So I get a few more fps and smaller file size, but no focal length advantage... got it.

Feb 22, 2013 at 06:42 AM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · DX vs FX mode

well, "focal length advantage", no. It's just cropping, so you're dealing with a smaller file, getting more fps, like you said.

That's different from comparing a 24mp DX camera and a 24mp FX camera. In that case, you get more pixel density with the DX, giving you that 1.5x advantage. Using an FX sensor in DX mode loses about ~50% of the pixels (if I remember correctly). So 24mp DX vs 24mp FX in DX mode is like comparing 24mp DX and 12mp DX (24mp FX in DX mode).

Feb 22, 2013 at 07:07 AM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · DX vs FX mode

Chestnut wrote:
well, "focal length advantage", no. It's just cropping, so you're dealing with a smaller file, getting more fps, like you said.

That's different from comparing a 24mp DX camera and a 24mp FX camera. In that case, you get more pixel density with the DX, giving you that 1.5x advantage. Using an FX sensor in DX mode loses about ~50% of the pixels (if I remember correctly). So 24mp DX vs 24mp FX in DX mode is like comparing 24mp DX and 12mp DX (24mp FX in DX mode).

Thanks Dex. That makes a lot of sense now. DX mode (should be called Crop Mode) on my D800e equals to about 15.4mp I think.

Feb 22, 2013 at 07:46 AM
raboof
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · DX vs FX mode

Thanks for the question. I did not know it was just a crop either. No reason for me to keep a FX and a DX body now. I don't even need high fps.

Feb 22, 2013 at 08:38 AM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · DX vs FX mode

raboof wrote:
Thanks for the question. I did not know it was just a crop either. No reason for me to keep a FX and a DX body now. I don't even need high fps.

Actually it make me wanting a DX camera now for the extra reach using my telephoto and FX camera for portraits and landscapes. I went all FX thinking that was the case.

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:55 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · DX vs FX mode

ShutteredMe wrote:

Actually it make me wanting a DX camera now for the extra reach using my telephoto and FX camera for portraits and landscapes. I went all FX thinking that was the case.

D7100 is targeting that use - it lets you crop a crop sensor - 2X crop - 300mm becomes 600mm, with still plenty of resolution.

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:14 PM
raboof
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · DX vs FX mode

Is it difficult to switch mode on the D800 to shoot DX? I've been thinking about it since I can have both in one body.
Based on this answer:
"The DX mode is simply a crop of the full size image. 100% will be the same size."
Is "reach" means cropped? If so, I might just shoot in FX and "reach" whatever I want with the same IQ (no?).

This is confusing. Sorry, I am a bit new at this FX/DX. I should look this up myself though

Feb 22, 2013 at 01:43 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · DX vs FX mode

The camera is doing the same thing to a 36mp image that you would when you put it on the computer, and cropped it yourself. It's just cutting off the edges of the frame, making it SEEM like you are shooting with a 1.5x longer focal length....your 50mm lens is STILL a 50mm lens, it just SEEMS like a 75mm lens when you're in crop mode...the pixels that are there wont change....they're still the same at 100%.....

Also, there are benefits to using an ACTUAL DX camera, rather than just relying on the crop mode of the D800....one reason, is that some people don't like a masked viewfinder....makes it a little funny shooting that way if you're not really used to it....also, the new d7100 will have a crop mode, that essentially gives you a 2x focal length increase over FX.....so your 300mm lens on a D800 in crop mode is "like" shooting with a 450mm lens.....you put that 300mm lens on a D7100 in crop mode, and you're at approx 600mm (585mm)....and it does so at 15.4mp.....which is more resolution than the D800 in crop mode (which is also 15.4mp, but with less reach)

Feb 22, 2013 at 02:49 PM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · DX vs FX mode

pburke wrote:
D7100 is targeting that use - it lets you crop a crop sensor - 2X crop - 300mm becomes 600mm, with still plenty of resolution.

Yes, the D7100 is very interesting. Guess buffer is the problem like everyone is saying.

Wouldn't the same principle applied for the crop mode in a DX body? All you're doing is cutting the edges off? 100% view of the regular mode and the crop mode yield the same size...at least that's my understanding following the above discussions. If not, then I am really scratching my head...

Feb 22, 2013 at 04:11 PM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · DX vs FX mode

raboof wrote:
Is it difficult to switch mode on the D800 to shoot DX? I've been thinking about it since I can have both in one body.
Based on this answer:
"The DX mode is simply a crop of the full size image. 100% will be the same size."
Is "reach" means cropped? If so, I might just shoot in FX and "reach" whatever I want with the same IQ (no?).

This is confusing. Sorry, I am a bit new at this FX/DX. I should look this up myself though

Switching mode on the D800/D800e is really easy. I assigned the fn button + the back wheel to change the modes.
Yes, on the D800/D800e, DX Mode is just cropping the edges. You can accomplished the same thing shooting in FX mode and crop in post. That is my understanding from the posting here...
The advantages are when using the DX mode, the increase in FPS and smaller filesize. However, I hate shooting DX mode because I can't get use to framing the object in the small window. It's doable, I just suck at doing it.

Feb 22, 2013 at 04:17 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · DX vs FX mode

ShutteredMe wrote:
Switching mode on the D800/D800e is really easy. I assigned the fn button + the back wheel to change the modes.
Yes, on the D800/D800e, DX Mode is just cropping the edges. You can accomplished the same thing shooting in FX mode and crop in post. That is my understanding from the posting here...
The advantages are when using the DX mode, the increase in FPS and smaller filesize. However, I hate shooting DX mode because I can't get use to framing the object in the small window. It's doable, I just suck at doing it.

I use 1.2x crop more often than DX-crop. You still have smaller files (about 24Mpx) and 5fps
I assign FX, DX and 1.2x with the Fn button (no use for 4:5).

Feb 22, 2013 at 04:59 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.