Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

Savas K
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

Boxing Day has been popular. Does that lend any meaning to this topic?

Feb 28, 2013 at 04:43 PM
Keith B.
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

The box means nothing. A copy of original sales receipt--with serial number on it and customer name/address matching---is some assurance that it's not stolen.
But, if having the box means 15%(hard to believe), save the dang box.

Mar 01, 2013 at 04:58 AM
Savas K
• • • •
p.2 #3 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

How about selling a box that happens to come with the gear that originally came with it?

Mar 01, 2013 at 11:19 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

Keith B. wrote:
The box means nothing. A copy of original sales receipt--with serial number on it and customer name/address matching---is some assurance that it's not stolen.
But, if having the box means 15%(hard to believe), save the dang box.

Yeh, I don't believe a box adds 15% to the price. I sold my share of gear and a lot without a box and I got the going rates for the gear. Definitely not 15% less...no way.

Mar 02, 2013 at 12:42 AM
jaclarkaus
• • •
p.2 #5 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

I will buy older gear without the boxes, but always mentally question why newer ones do not have boxes - and usually assume they are hot.

Who is going to buy a $5k lens and not keep the box?

My boxes go in the cupboard and gear into the dry cabinet.

Mar 02, 2013 at 09:13 AM
james.d53
• •
p.2 #6 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

I bought a 24-70 on Craigslist last year with no box and no hood and an odd cap on the front element. It was $1200 and probably hot, but I got a purchase receipt to cover myself. The lens is in great shape. Someone's loss and my gain.

Mar 02, 2013 at 03:29 PM
MyCanon60D

p.2 #7 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

ISO1600 wrote:
Honestly, out of all my selling experiences, I find ebay the least stressful.

on here: lots of lowballs, several experiences where the buyer wasn't satisfied because of something they should have asked about, and starts making paypal dispute threats.
on craigslist: millions of shady people/scammers.
on ebay: BUYERS.

That is your money at work - Ebay charges you at least 5% more than other sites (for fixed price listing, Paypal extra). They do have a good system protecting both buyers and sellers.

Mar 03, 2013 at 12:27 AM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.2 #8 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

james.d53 wrote:
I bought a 24-70 on Craigslist last year with no box and no hood and an odd cap on the front element. It was $1200 and probably hot, but I got a purchase receipt to cover myself. The lens is in great shape. Someone's loss and my gain.

A purchase receipt does nothing to "cover you." In the (unlikely) case that the police track the stolen goods to you, the lens goes back to the original owner and you get zero compensation --- and should feel lucky that the police don't generally have time to press charges for the crime of receiving stolen goods, which would be what you deserve for knowingly buying something that is "probably hot."

Mar 03, 2013 at 02:03 AM
blonde
• • •
p.2 #9 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

i try not to buy anymore lenses that don't have the original box. its not that i like the boxes or need them for anything it just that i know that when it is time to upgrade or sell the lens, i will get asked if i still have the box and i want to get full price.

Mar 04, 2013 at 10:09 PM
curious80
• • •
p.2 #10 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

Having sold and bought a lot of stuff on ebay and craigslist, I do not believe that a box adds 15% to the value. In fact I don't think a box adds much at all to the cash value of the item. However it does make it more likely to be bought in a quicker manner.

Personally if I buy an item on craigslist (or here at FM), I do typically ask if it comes with the box. That of course does not mean that I will not buy it without the box, neither does it mean that I will pay less if it comes without a box. However to me it is just one of the many questions you would ask to know about the condition and history of the item.

Mar 04, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

chez wrote:
Yeh, I don't believe a box adds 15% to the price. I sold my share of gear and a lot without a box and I got the going rates for the gear. Definitely not 15% less...no way.

Hi Harry,

The 15% figure for having a box is probably from my contribution, at the start of the thread. As of today, I'm at 204 lenses sold. I stand by my original comment. YMMV.

Cheers, Jim

Mar 05, 2013 at 01:08 AM
Joe Garner
• •
p.2 #12 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

To me this question reads as "You have not by any chance stolen it, have you?".

Mar 06, 2013 at 04:41 PM
Bacalhau
• •
p.2 #13 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

For me it's all about disclaimers:
like - I am the second/third owner; and receipts, feedback on selling sites, etc, all do help.
Good pictures, and detailed explanation about lens condition helps, which show signs of the seller knowing what he has and talking about.
Ebay has been changing their policies - they do protect the buyer, and not so much the seller - thus the 'empty-box", "damaged item" and "brick-in-the-box retuen" scams, so popular these days.
Yes, boxes are just clutter, but in high priced items, just makes it nicer - I would not pay more for it either.
if you meet in person, it's easier to "read" the person.
So where's the box? - I just don't keep them or care for it. on CL I set a FIRM price - no bs, or will walk away, that simple.

Mar 06, 2013 at 10:37 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.2 #14 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

These are the reasons that I keep all boxes, manuals, CD cables, etc. I have everything for every piece of photographic gear, and all of the laptops.

Mar 09, 2013 at 03:18 AM
amsterdem
• •
p.2 #15 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

Most photographers are perfectionist, who pay attention to detail. So having the box and the included accessories really adds value. It completes the item sold.

7-15% increase in value is expected.

I concur with most of the comments posted, buyers tend to ask less questions when the complete package is presented.

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:54 AM
neilvan
• •
p.2 #16 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

Just came across this on my local Craigslist, made me think of this thread...

Seriously, $40 for a cardboard box?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rch/pho/3677108600.html

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Veedotcom

p.2 #17 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

Great answers! My issues is people not taking pictures of the actual items. Posting some photoshop googled picture...hilarious!!! I prefer the box myself.

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Mickey
• • • •
p.2 #18 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

Offer up a Canon 50mm f/1.0 with the original box and you'll likely get a $500-$1,000 more than for one without the box.

Mar 13, 2013 at 05:07 PM
stan23
• • •
p.2 #19 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

Mickey wrote:
Offer up a Canon 50mm f/1.0 with the original box and you'll likely get a $500-$1,000 more than for one without the box.

In that case, there should be a market for someone to make replica boxes of older lenses

Check this out:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/pho/3661088061.html

At $30 a pop (average) he's sitting on over $12,000 in boxes!

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:45 PM
cocosphere
• •
p.2 #20 · Craigslist Buyers - Where's the box?

It might not be rational, but the box makes me feel better about the item I am buying when purchasing on Craigslist. I always speak to the seller directly before we arrange to meet in person and I feel like I can pretty quickly tell if the seller is genuine or not. I have met a lot of nice people for the most part. The most memorable recently was a woman who handed me her brand new 5d3 (gift from her husband) to get me to help put the lens I was selling on for her to test. Incidentally, she didn't care about the box.

I go for the box like others to get more for the item at resell (FM) where possible, however I also buy without the box as well. It's Craigslist, so generally the prices are negotiable within reason regardless. Even when the seller states firm in my experience.

Apr 08, 2013 at 01:41 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password