Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
6
       end
  

Archive 2013 · Canon next crop better be competitive!
  
 
Gunzorro
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Canon next crop better be competitive!


Charlie N wrote:
I think they physically cant due to the distance between lens and sensor. Canon is further away than nikon, so you can add an adapter to the nikon to work with canon, but not vise versa.... dont quote me on it, just my understanding of it (read it somewhere).


They can. Kodak offered the same (first!) 14MP DSLR camera, the DCS Pro 14n (or c), in the early 2000s that had different mounting and flange distance, yet retained both brands electronic contacts and functions. The models were designated "n" or "c" at the end of the model number. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/kodakslrc

Here are some images on Google:
https://www.google.com/search?q=kodak+dcs+pro&hl=en&rlz=1C1AFAB_enUS487US487&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=kvknUcb8FLS40gHI84G4Dg&ved=0CFQQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=979

Pretty cool concept.

The "why" would be that it would swing Canon owners toward Nikon, since one of the main objections would be neutralized: Canon superior lenses. I'm sure Canon would not be in favor of such a ploy.

It may never happen -- just fantasizing!



Feb 22, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Monito
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Canon next crop better be competitive!


StillFingerz wrote:
Memory is not expensive these days why not double/triple the flocking buffer


Memory that is very high speed, very compact, high bandwidth (parallel), capable of simultaneous writes & reads, and draws low-power is not your desktop DRAM or your laptop DRAM. It is more expensive.



Feb 22, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Gunzorro
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Canon next crop better be competitive!


M Lucca wrote:
So what's 1.3x out of 1.5x is how many x?

Is that with reduce MP size?

Is Nikon doing the 14bit/12bit dance again? I'm so confused.

Please I just want the straight shot performance.


1.5 X 1.3 = 1.95 (basically 2X)



Feb 22, 2013 at 11:13 PM
jorkata
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Canon next crop better be competitive!


StillFingerz wrote:
....it's a conspiracy I tell ya, or just plain stupid


You mean like Canon's decision to put a single-point AF system in a $2100 camera .

I tell ya, that one was just plain stupid, no conspiracy there.
Canon just took a dump. Plain and simple.



Feb 23, 2013 at 12:18 AM
StillFingerz
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Canon next crop better be competitive!


Monito wrote:
Memory that is very high speed, very compact, high bandwidth (parallel), capable of simultaneous writes & reads, and draws low-power is not your desktop DRAM or your laptop DRAM. It is more expensive.


Yeah dah, but why short it...are we talking a few hundred bucks, 500 bucks or more to fix this would most not grab it anyway, given the D300s/D400 are nowhere to be found...if it's to be 'the' DX action camera as touted

It's just just a little nit pick, but flock...get it right someone



Feb 23, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Sven Jeppesen
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Canon next crop better be competitive!


Thang wrote:
did you read the word "if"?


Yes I did read the word if. But there are 100 different rumored specs on the rumored 7DII. And he didn't wrote which one or what specs



Feb 23, 2013 at 04:08 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Ian.Dobinson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Canon next crop better be competitive!


M Lucca wrote:
So what's 1.3x out of 1.5x is how many x?

Is that with reduce MP size?


It's just cropping the existing frame (you can easily do the same in post)
A 1.3 crop of the 1.5 crop APS-c sensor leaves about 15mp and an effective (ff terms) 2x crop sensor (sort of like a 4/3rds camera)



Is Nikon doing the 14bit/12bit dance again? I'm so confused.

.


Don't mention the 14/12 dance . As per the other thread on this camera it gets someone VERY uptight




Feb 23, 2013 at 08:16 AM
LCPete
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Canon next crop better be competitive!


Gunzorro wrote:
Broken record here: Canon is lucky that Nikon doesn't engineer an EOS EF mount system for their top cameras such as D800e and this new D7100. If they were able to reverse engineer all functionality, there might be an awful lot of Canon lenses mounted to Nikon bodies!

I've wondered if someone like Sony could bring out a body with a Canon mount
Apparently the patent has run out for the canon mount
They would sell a lot of cameras with a Sony sensor with a canon mount



Feb 24, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Ian.Dobinson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Canon next crop better be competitive!


LCPete wrote:
I've wondered if someone like Sony could bring out a body with a Canon mount
Apparently the patent has run out for the canon mount
They would sell a lot of cameras with a Sony sensor with a canon mount



Why?

As has been said many times before the idea is to get a user in a 'system' . So by giving a body with a mou t that's not your own you only sell the body while the other company sells all the lenses .

The closest ever to do it was Sigma . Back when they were designing the original SA (film) they apparently were going to use the EF mount . Which is why its possible (in some cases) to do a mount change on some of the SD bodies .

The only other time I can think of (which was mentioned earlier) was the Kodak SLR/n - c bodies. But in that instance it was in kodaks interest because they were not a system builder and had no lenses to offer .

Of course we could go back in time when lots of bodies were built around the screw thread mount or the period when if you bought a 3rd party lens you could get a 'T' mount for a different fitting . But in those days the camera was only the tool to hold the film



Feb 24, 2013 at 11:11 AM
howard
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Canon next crop better be competitive!


Gunzorro wrote:
They can. Kodak offered the same (first!) 14MP DSLR camera, the DCS Pro 14n (or c), in the early 2000s that had different mounting and flange distance, yet retained both brands electronic contacts and functions. The models were designated "n" or "c" at the end of the model number. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/kodakslrc

Here are some images on Google:
https://www.google.com/search?q=kodak+dcs+pro&hl=en&rlz=1C1AFAB_enUS487US487&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=kvknUcb8FLS40gHI84G4Dg&ved=0CFQQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=979

Pretty cool concept.

The "why" would be that it would swing Canon owners toward Nikon, since one of the main objections would be neutralized: Canon superior lenses. I'm sure Canon would not be in favor of such a ploy.

It may never happen -- just
...Show more

Ever wonder why Kodak went bankrupt?



Feb 24, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Gunzorro
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Canon next crop better be competitive!


howard wrote:
Ever wonder why Kodak went bankrupt?


So, you think that camera pushed them over the edge, eh? Mystery solved!

M43 and the old Pentax and Leica screw mounts did pretty good at swapping lenses around. M43 offers the electronics support.

IMO it seems like a marketing plus whenever a company can place a piece of its gear into a photographer's working rotation. Foot-in-the-door kind of thing.

Anyhow, it's just a thought.



Feb 25, 2013 at 01:43 AM
StarNut
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Canon next crop better be competitive!


PetKal wrote:
Good show, Ian......are we lead-piping now some possible future Canon camera which doesn't exist even on paper, based on a Nikon camera which exists on paper only since yesterday ?


Perhaps the best post I've ever seen in this sub-forum!



Feb 25, 2013 at 02:09 AM
1       2       3              5      
6
       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
6
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password