Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              5       6       end

Archive 2013 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

robbymack
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Boy the last thing I worry about is what the new Nikon specs are. Technology ebs and flows, in a few years time the tables will likely be flipped. That's why I invested in a system with better (in my opinion) available lenses and ergonomics not the latest and greatest spec page.

Feb 21, 2013 at 03:03 PM
MintMar
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

jj_glos wrote:
I was pretty interested when I first saw the D7100 info, then I realised I mis-read the press release... I thought Nikon were bring out a 1.3 crop for around 1k!

Me too :-) OTOH, what they bring is "AF sensors right at the edge of the frame at the expense of reduced MP in the image", which is an interesting concept no matter how frequently it'd be used.

Feb 21, 2013 at 03:03 PM
MintMar
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

robbymack wrote:
Boy the last thing I worry about is what the new Nikon specs are. Technology ebs and flows, in a few years time the tables will likely be flipped. That's why I invested in a system with better (in my opinion) available lenses and ergonomics not the latest and greatest spec page.

I like Nikon's specs. They increase the size of the drops in Canon's drip-feed upgrade process and hopefully assure that "upgrade" in the 20D -> 30D style doesn't happen again.

Feb 21, 2013 at 03:08 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

robbymack wrote:

i half agree , but unfortuantly it now seems that as much as Tech will eb and flow the £££$$$ differences wont.

Feb 21, 2013 at 03:09 PM
Sayeret18
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

If the D7100's sensor performance is as good or better than the D5200, then Canon faces a very tough challenge. I would expect the 7D2 to have better high ISO performance above 6400 and be a bit more robustly constructed, but this is a 60D/70D price point. DP Review seems impressed so far, and for me, they are the gold standard for DSLR body reviews.

Feb 21, 2013 at 03:16 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Sayeret18 wrote:
DP Review seems impressed so far, and for me, they are the gold standard for DSLR body reviews.

DP Review are in the business of selling cameras... I prefer to read independent and more objective reviews from actual photographers.

Feb 21, 2013 at 03:38 PM
robbymack
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

MintMar wrote:
I like Nikon's specs. They increase the size of the drops in Canon's drip-feed upgrade process and hopefully assure that "upgrade" in the 20D -> 30D style doesn't happen again.

I too don't like the drip feed upgrades, but I think we blow them out of proportion because we all want 1d performance for $1500 and no more...thats just not realistic. I honestly don't care about "megapickles" and dr. the 5dii had more than enough iq for my needs. What it lacked was great af and a relatively slow frame rate. I get everything I want in a 5diii. What some see as an incremental upgrade I see as a d4 for half the price. Sure it would be nice to have enough dr that I can underexpose by 5 stops and still bring it back, but that's just not the way I like to shoot. If you do I totally see the benefit of the Nikon (actually sony) sensor. But that's all it is, a sensor, IMHO a camera is much more than a sensor. Ergonomics trump a lot of apparent drawbacks for me and the Nikon system utterly fails in this regard (my opinion). That all being said when someone asks me what consumer level camera they should get to take pictures of kids and family on full auto with no interest in learning the other modes I almost always recommend a Nikon dxxxx to them simply because I do see the value in money. But if someone comes to me with a real interest in learning photography then I recommend they rent each for about a month and make a decision on their own. Heck at some point unless canon figures out the sensor tech I do see all dslr's licensing the Sony sensor. It seems to me Sony is playing to win. They learned that lesson with Betamax and they haven't forgotten. It will be interesting to see if they can figure out how to make good lenses, if so it could be game over for both Nikon and canon.

Feb 21, 2013 at 03:52 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

The D7100 in-camera crop allows for 7 (instead of 6) max fps. Interesting for FL limited shooters to have a 2x crop factor and 15Mp.

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:00 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

A new 7D2 at £2000 would be totally insane IMHO. Just totally unreasonable.

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:10 PM
paulfeng
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

With regard to 7D2 rumors, well, all details should be taken with a grain of salt, but particularly those regarding price. MP, FPS, # of focus points, etc. - those might be based on one or more prototypes out in the field. But it's not like the proposed selling price would be printed on the side of the body or found in a menu under the "price" tab.

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dadgummit
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Rickuz wrote:
Well, I don't care about cropsters, but I think it is very interesting that Nikon once again makes a body without the pesky AA-filter.. First the D800E and now the D7100.

Will Canon ever give us a Camera without AA-filter, or are they too much in love with video?

Please excuse my ignorance but what does the AA filter do?

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:26 PM
paulfeng
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Anyway - as someone firmly in the Canon camp coming from the 7D, I think the 7100 announcement may have convinced me to wait at least until the 7D2 announcement to decide on my next body, with the likeliest candidates being either a 5D3 or the 7D2. My hope is that the 7100 price/performance will influence Canon to make that metric for the 7D2 better than it would be without competition, in which case the choice between the 5D3 and 7D2 might be brought into greater relief.

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:26 PM
dadgummit
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

David Baldwin wrote:
A new 7D2 at £2000 would be totally insane IMHO. Just totally unreasonable.

Going by Canonrumors most recent specs it shows
■24.1mp APS-C Sensor
■Dual DIGIC V
■10fps
■Dual Memory Card Slots (Unknown configuration)
■61 AF Points (I wonder if we’ll get red focus points in AIS?)
■3.2″ LCD
■Build quality like 5D3
■GPS & Wifi
■$2199 ($500 more than the 7D at launch, I’d like to see such a camera come in under $2000)
■ISO Performance to get close to the 5D3
■“Lots of video features”

If the ISO is close to a full frame with 10 FPS at 24mp well I can see sports photogs lining up to put in an order at $2k!!

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:30 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Hmmm, £2000 is a lot different to $2000.

"ISO Performance to get close to the 5D3"

Never happen. That new Nikon body looks very good value to say the least.

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:36 PM
dadgummit
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

David Baldwin wrote:

Never happen.

Too true, I don't know why the Atlantic Ocean seems to add 50% or more to the price of electronics.

I would never say never to the ISO thing. The D800 has about the same pixel density as a 24mp crop sensor and its ISO is close to the 5D3 (Or better if you believe those reviewers that test cameras without lenses). The technology is already on the market to do it but it is probably expensive.

Edited on Feb 21, 2013 at 04:46 PM · View previous versions

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:39 PM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

The price and specs of the D7100 should be compared to the upcoming 70D. If the 7D2 rumored specs are true it will be well worth $2k for me.

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:40 PM
howard
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

dadgummit wrote:
Too true, I don't know why the Atlantic Ocean seems to add 50% or more to the price of electronics.

I would never say never to the ISO thing. [B]The D800 has about the same pixel density as a 24mp crop sensor[/B] and its ISO is close to the 5D3 (Or better if you believe those reviewers that test cameras without lenses). The technology is already on the market to do it but it is probably expensive.

That is not true. It is equivalent to a 14MP APS-C sensor:
36MP / (1.6^2) = 14MP

Feb 21, 2013 at 05:06 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

The D7xxxx cameras are not in the same class as the 7d class. Nikon's nearest equivalent prosumer cropped cam was the D300s which the 7d buried back in 2009. Nikon has no answer to the 7d.

D7000 and d7100 are in the same class as the x0d. Target market isn't the same. For me (which many D300 owners also agree) the entire ergonomics of the D7000 is terrible. And I don't know if Nikon will ever make a D400. Seems like Nikon has given up entirely on this prosumer segment.

Feb 21, 2013 at 05:07 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

David Baldwin wrote:

Never happen. That new Nikon body looks very good value to say the least.

Not when you remember we get gouged on the £$ conversion. So when they say $x dollar its usually pretty close to them just replacing the $ for £ sign .

What really concerns me is that if you think back to the launch of the 7D i think its was up over £1700 and indeed still has a RRP over here of £1699 (street price of £1050 now)

And Infact the USA RRP for the 7D is $1599 . So they even added to it before they swapped the currency sign

So that really does not bode well for something that if up speced looks likely to have a higher RRP .

Mind you its still a good thing (at least for the moment) of apples sales model. Where RRP is the price you will pay no matter where you buy it from . But I think we are heading down that route

Feb 21, 2013 at 05:22 PM
gocolts
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Canon next crop better be competitive!

Competition is good. My guess is Canon already has the products in the pipeline to respond, it's just a matter of price. But I would agree this is more a competitor to an upcoming 70D, although I could be wrong.

Feb 21, 2013 at 05:30 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password