3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

Danner
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

NikonGuyIsHere wrote:
Whats the "i" button for?

Information display on the rear LCD. Been around for a good while, very handy.

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:03 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

Actually, from the accounts online, it appears that the I button will also offer access to a quick-settings menu, allowing you to make fast changes to settings without digging into the menus.

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:06 AM
NikonGuyIsHere
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

Danner wrote:
Information display on the rear LCD. Been around for a good while, very handy.

Isn't that the INFO button, which is on my D700. Not familiar with the "I" button though

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:18 AM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

"i" button does essentially what the info button does, except as a translucent overlay during live view/video shooting.

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:22 AM
theSuede
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

Which is the largest difference; being able to change a menu setting without cycling in/out of live view.

The two big things for me is the AA-less sensor (which I predicted at ~60MP FX sizes some three or four years ago - 60/2.35 = 25.5MP DX) and the decoupling between the mirror and shutter mechanism.

The question for videographers is if they chose to enable AF-S lens 1/8-step aperture changes during filming, like the D800, or if it's crippled. It being crippled would be the only reason (except stupidly short DoF's) to chose a D800 over a D7100 for video.

The D5200 (which uses another sensor admittedly...) kicks the D800 butt regarding video. Better ISO performance, more resolution, sharper, less moire and artifacts. All three have clean 4:2:2 1080p HDMI out.

Personally I couldn't care less about the buffer depth. I've run into it once - over some 100,000 frames of D7000 and D800 shooting. Aren't people that wants 20+ frame sequences shooting jpg anyway?

Being able to use LV shooting in total silence, and with a lot less clattering of mirror up/down movements after each frame is a much bigger plus for me than what the buffer depth limitations detracts.

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:37 AM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

theSuede wrote:
Personally I couldn't care less about the buffer depth. I've run into it once - over some 100,000 frames of D7000 and D800 shooting. Aren't people that wants 20+ frame sequences shooting jpg anyway?

Yup... never met a sports pro who shoots RAW. Too many files, too tight deadlines.

Feb 21, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Thang
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

deadwolfbones wrote:
Yup... never met a sports pro who shoots RAW. Too many files, too tight deadlines.

limited buffer depth in RAW is an issue for nature/wildlife photographers like myself.

D7100 is a great upgrade/replacement of the D7000 - YES! but as a new "DX Flag Ship" what a joke. They probably meant "for now..."

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

deadwolfbones wrote:

I shoot motorsports for a couple of teams and their sponsors. I never know when they want a frame blown up to 3 x 2 meters or more. Then I need all the details I can get and the flexibility that only a RAW file can give me, particularly when the lighting is difficult, and late in the day, it is. While many, possibly most, sports pros shoot jpeg, I've met several who shoot RAW + jpeg or RAW only.

With motorsports, I run into the buffer limit often, particularly when accidents happen or at the start, even with the D2Xs in crop mode. But it happens in most kinds of action sports. I shot Polo a few weeks ago, and that was even worse, since one never knows how long a dramatic situation will last.

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

The buffer issue depends on what and why you're shooting. For wildlife, I like raw. My images are sold as fine art prints and I like the flexibility I get with a raw file to pull shadows or save highlights. Can't always get the critter in the best spot and sometimes raw saves the day.

Besides, if this really is the D300 replacement, it should have a much better buffer than it does. I wonder (hope) maybe they held that off for the D400. I guess time will tell.

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:07 AM
talexander
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

I'm not buying it for the reason Steve listed. 6 frames of 14bit raw is unacceptable. I could live with the 11/12 from d7000 but 6 is unacceptable.

Still hoping for a d400.

Tim

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:39 AM
svopen
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

Like everyone else, I've been waiting for a D400. I'll wait for the real world reviews but the disappointing buffer is what's keeping me from preordering at this point.

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:56 AM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

Canon APS-C users waiting..... waiting..... waiting...... waiting......

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:11 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

Jorgen Udvang wrote:
I shoot motorsports for a couple of teams and their sponsors. I never know when they want a frame blown up to 3 x 2 meters or more. Then I need all the details I can get and the flexibility that only a RAW file can give me, particularly when the lighting is difficult, and late in the day, it is. While many, possibly most, sports pros shoot jpeg, I've met several who shoot RAW + jpeg or RAW only.

With motorsports, I run into the buffer limit often, particularly when accidents happen or at the start, even with the
...Show more

Yeah, that makes sense. I was thinking primarily of those working for publications, where they need to get the files quick, with a minimum of post-processing.

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:40 PM
afm901
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

VinnieJ wrote:
Same goes for the D600 as well.

I don't want to use the AE-L/AF-L button for AF-On. I used the AE-L/AF-L button for it's labeled purpose. Also, the AE-L/AF-L button is too far to the left for my liking.

The D600 is not a camera I would consider either. It's not a Pro body with all the features I want and have grow accustomed to...

Scott

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

deadwolfbones wrote:
Yeah, that makes sense. I was thinking primarily of those working for publications, where they need to get the files quick, with a minimum of post-processing.

Even when shooting RAW, I deliver 2-400 web sized photos 2-6 hours after the races, running a batch conversion i PS and culling the unwanted low res photos as they appear in Bridge. Even as a one man operation, RAW doesn't slow me down much, and for those working with assistants, it hardly matters at all, since cards are collected and post processing done during breaks between races.

Feb 21, 2013 at 01:04 PM
krickett
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

I had 2 D7000's and I parted with 1 in anticipation of the announcement. I think it's a strong camera for anyone shopping for a new DX camera, but I'm in no rush to obtain the 7100.

The extra MP's and the improved AF are certainly welcome. My only complaint about the D7000 was the low light AF.

I really hope that they eliminated the buffering issue. I'll wait and see on that. I occassionally ran into that problem.

Regardless though, at this point, the D600 might be more compelling as a backup/light camera. I would have pounced on a D400.

Feb 21, 2013 at 01:49 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

theSuede wrote:

Ah, NO! I shoot sports all the time and I shoot in RAW mode 100% of the time. RAW makes it much easier to fix exposure issues in difficult and highly variable situations. Even with my D300 I hit the buffer at times if the action goes on long enough.

For me, buffer is a BIG issue.

Feb 21, 2013 at 01:50 PM
MRM4
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

I saw on Ken Rockwell's site where he said the D7100 will come without a LCD cover. What's up with that? I can just see a ton of these on the used market in 6 months with most of them having scuffed or scratched LCD screens.

Feb 21, 2013 at 01:52 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

http://www.whattheduck.net/sites/default/files/WTD1322.gif

Feb 21, 2013 at 01:54 PM
AaronNegro
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Official: Nikon Announces 24MP D7100 DSLR Camera

I like the specs, if IQ and handling is on par with them this is going to be a very nice tool.

Very good push for the Canon counterstrike.

Feb 21, 2013 at 02:21 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.