Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Hawaii vacation! BUT.....

Edward Castro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Hawaii vacation! BUT.....

we are also taking my 2 year old daughter. So I'm having a difficult time trying to decide what island to visit that would be fun for her. We have to take her because we would miss her too much. Anyone have any insights or suggestions? (please don't say leave her because it's not happening).

Thanks!

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Jim Cowsert
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Hawaii vacation! BUT.....

Maui without a doubt. More family oriented than Oahu and a lot less busy. Rent a condo in Kihei and your set for a great vacation. Plenty of beaches, more family activities, and lots to see.

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:20 AM
Grizzlygibbs

p.1 #3 · Hawaii vacation! BUT.....

I would second Maui, but have never been to any other Island. I also have never taken a child let alone a 2 year old on a plane trip but giver her some gum and bring lots of fun things for her on the plane. There are a ton of beaches near Kihei that are very family friendly with great grass for her to play in along with soft sand!

What time of year are you going? My friend lives there and works for a company called the Lahaina Cruise Company, which they do whale watching, tours, and sightseeing. She has been posting pictures every day of humpbacks, some with baby humpbacks!

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:59 AM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #4 · Hawaii vacation! BUT.....

Well we are thinking of going in April.

Feb 21, 2013 at 06:26 AM
amsterdem
• •
p.1 #5 · Hawaii vacation! BUT.....

Jim Cowsert wrote:
Maui without a doubt. More family oriented than Oahu and a lot less busy. Rent a condo in Kihei and your set for a great vacation. Plenty of beaches, more family activities, and lots to see.

+1, rent a condo in kihei, away from the tourist filled Lahaina. But if you're feeling adventurous the Big Island is the only place to go.

Feb 21, 2013 at 08:22 AM
mspencer1
• •
p.1 #6 · Hawaii vacation! BUT.....

Maui will work great for you- We were just in Maui with our 2 year old daughter in December.

Feb 21, 2013 at 01:18 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #7 · Hawaii vacation! BUT.....

Oh glad to hear that mspencer1. You guys convinced me (plus all the pic's I've seen on Google) that I'll be staying at that island. I would love to go to Hana, but it's to windy and I think my daughter will get car sick. Also mspencer1, did you rent a car? And if you did, what about a car seat, you take one or rented one? Thanks!

Feb 21, 2013 at 03:05 PM
Grizzlygibbs

p.1 #8 · Hawaii vacation! BUT.....

Does she get car sick often? There are a ton of places to pull over and lots of other things to do on the Road to Hana. You could atleast drive part way so you can see the wonderful water falls, stop at a pool, and go to The Garden of Eden Botanical Garden. If your able, I would invest in a kids hiking pack (a good one like kelty of deuter) so you can walk around if she gets tired.

Lahaina is touristy but there are a few good things to do there, waterfront shops, boat tours, The Old Lahaina Luoau, etc.

Have a great trip!

Feb 21, 2013 at 03:20 PM
gocolts
• • •
p.1 #9 · Hawaii vacation! BUT.....

We go to Hawaii every year- go to Maui, stay in Kihei if you're on a budget, but Kaanapali over in west Maui is going to have more kids-oriented activities/resorts IMO. My wife and I stay in Wailea every year, which is nice, but if we took our daughter, who's 2, we'd probably stay in Kaanapali.

Although, if you got the cash to burn, the Grand Wailea would be, IMO, the BEST choice for a family. Private beach, and more swimming pools than you'll have time to use. We go to dinner there every year and we see toddlers playing in the kiddie pool well into the night.

As for the road to Hana, if you want a test run, do the west maui drive, a lot shorter with plenty of incredible views, and if the family does ok with that, tackle Hana. And yes, rent a car.

Seriously, there's enough to do throughout the island that you won't get bored, and your daughter will have a blast playing on the beach.

Feb 21, 2013 at 05:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mspencer1
• •
p.1 #10 · Hawaii vacation! BUT.....

Edward Castro wrote:
Oh glad to hear that mspencer1. You guys convinced me (plus all the pic's I've seen on Google) that I'll be staying at that island. I would love to go to Hana, but it's to windy and I think my daughter will get car sick. Also mspencer1, did you rent a car? And if you did, what about a car seat, you take one or rented one? Thanks!

We did rent a car that came with a car seat so that we didn't have to travel with one.

Feb 22, 2013 at 06:28 AM
Lotuselite
• •
p.1 #11 · Hawaii vacation! BUT.....

Although I do not rent kid seats I seem to recall hearing that the car rental companies hold you to ransom if you rent one. I 'm not sure but I think they are mandatory, although I can be corrected on that. I know I see a lot of them coming on to the baggage carousel as checked baggage.
Hana and back the same day is a very full day from the west side of the island. We have done it a few times but always overnighted which makes it a lot easier to spend time seeing that side of the island.
Edited to add, if you go to the Hana side and go on some of the off road walks make sure you have some bug spray, you can run into mosquitoes big time, especialy as evening approaches.

Feb 23, 2013 at 06:14 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #12 · Hawaii vacation! BUT.....

OK, well we where thinking of Muai but decided to visit Honolulu, more things, besides beach, that we'll be able to take my daughter too. The aquarium, and cultural center, Dole pineapple plantation and other places. Either way we are excited, just purchased the tickets today! My daughter is going to have such a blast, just on the plane ride its self.

Now, another question, for those who took a 2 year old, did you take a car seat for the plane?

Mar 06, 2013 at 06:50 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Hawaii vacation! BUT.....

Edward Castro wrote:
Now, another question, for those who took a 2 year old, did you take a car seat for the plane?

Yes.

Mar 07, 2013 at 12:36 AM
mspencer1
• •
p.1 #14 · Hawaii vacation! BUT.....

Edward Castro wrote:

We did not bring a car seat with us for the plane since we reserved our rental car with a car seat. For the plane we brought a harness that works with the seatbelt- it worked out great and fits into a purse.

Mar 07, 2013 at 03:03 AM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #15 · Hawaii vacation! BUT.....

I'm still thinking of a car seat, she will just be turning two at the time of our vacation.

Mar 07, 2013 at 04:21 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Hawaii vacation! BUT.....

Edward Castro wrote:
I'm still thinking of a car seat, she will just be turning two at the time of our vacation.

We took ours cuz
1. she is comfortable in her seat and likes it
2. you never know what you'll get from the rental agency and how clean is it.

Mar 07, 2013 at 05:49 AM
DLP
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Hawaii vacation! BUT.....

The Big Island would have been an easy choice for me. Lots of child friendly resorts. Plenty to see and pretty much a photographers paradise.
Maui is just touristy and a bit run down with a few exceptions. Hitting Ho' Okipia in December for the surf or driving the road to Hana after a storm. A lot of people get car sick on the road to Hana and the turn off's are often packed. Either could be challenging with a 2 year old.
FWIW the beach is not "Private" at the Grand Wailea. There is public access if any one is not staying at the Four Seasons or the Grand Wailea.
HNL should offer you plenty to keep your daughter happy. As far as the car rental goes there be sure you check the Valet/Parking fees for your hotel. I'm always on the fence about HNL being worthy of a car rental or not unless you are driving to the North Shore etc and then you can always rent a car for the day (Reserve in advance!).

Mar 10, 2013 at 03:25 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password