Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              16      
       end

Archive 2013 · Dynamic Range

mttran
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #1 · p.17 #1 · Dynamic Range

chez wrote:
...There are some photogs that could use more DR in the type of photography they do...and others don't need anymore...and the saga continues. Just wish people who don't need or care about DR just would skip by the discussion so the ones that actually have a use for DR could have a civil discussion.

+1, precisely...beside why supporting a decade long canon milking process, i don't get it.

Mar 05, 2013 at 07:09 PM
ggreene
• • • •
p.17 #2 · p.17 #2 · Dynamic Range

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
The reality is this: you have two options. Switch to Nikon or wait. There really isn't a discussion past this. Most of the posts are justification - why I *do* need it and why I *don't* need it. I think a lot of it is in response to earlier threads where those who do need it couldn't understand that others didn't need it and started calling those who don't "canon apologisers". Not exactly civil.

Exactly.

I don't think anyone in these threads has ever said that the Nikon/Sony sensor does not get more low ISO DR then Canon sensors so what is the discussion about? How many threads do you want reiterating the same obvious fact in a gear forum? We've had side by side comparisons and graphs up to our eyebrows showing the superior DR in the Exmor sensor. Canon will respond at some point. If we had solid rumors of a new sensor with similar capabilities I could see it but we don't so these threads end up being the same people complaining about how far behind Canon sensor tech is.

Mar 06, 2013 at 12:29 AM
chez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #3 · p.17 #3 · Dynamic Range

ggreene wrote:
Exactly.

I don't think anyone in these threads has ever said that the Nikon/Sony sensor does not get more low ISO DR then Canon sensors so what is the discussion about? How many threads do you want reiterating the same obvious fact in a gear forum? We've had side by side comparisons and graphs up to our eyebrows showing the superior DR in the Exmor sensor. Canon will respond at some point. If we had solid rumors of a new sensor with similar capabilities I could see it but we don't so these threads end up being the same people
...Show more

If you look at the original OP, it was all about real world shooting conditions where more DR would be helpful...nothing to do with a pissing match between Canon and Nikon or Sony. If everyone would stick to the topic rather than rushing in and trying to lecture everyone else, things would not go off the rails.

Again...what is your interest in this thread?

Mar 06, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Access
• • •
p.17 #4 · p.17 #4 · Dynamic Range

Is it really just two options? 5 years ago people would have said to use MF (even today, I know someone who at least has access to a MF system), I think today we also have a few native Sony systems, OM-D (I haven't used side by side with a 5D3, but it does seem to have very good shadow noise at the lower ISOs), etc. If you truly live and die by DR, aren't there more reasonable options today than just Nikon?

Mar 06, 2013 at 12:42 AM
ggreene
• • • •
p.17 #5 · p.17 #5 · Dynamic Range

A post to a Canon hardware group directly pitting a Nikon D800 against a Canon 5D3 for low ISO DR.

Again... what is your problem with someone saying if you need low ISO DR you should be seriously thinking about a Nikon/Sony body?

Mar 06, 2013 at 12:46 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.17 #6 · p.17 #6 · Dynamic Range

ggreene wrote:
A post to a Canon hardware group directly pitting a Nikon D800 against a Canon 5D3 for low ISO DR.

Again... what is your problem with someone saying if you need low ISO DR you should be seriously thinking about a Nikon/Sony body?

And does that somehow threaten you...this discussion about DR and how to best use it? Is someone holding a gun to your head, making you read every last word here? In fact, I believe I have seen you in every thread discussing DR and the only piece of wisdom ( and you have given this piece of wisdom multiple times ) is to buy Nikon. No real actual experiences of how to shoot through limited DR. No actual experiences on how much better the DR is with the D800 and what problems still exist with shooting the D800 in extreme DR conditions. Nothing other than your continual stuck record skipping along singing the same "Go buy a Nikon" tune.

A piece of advice...if you have no true interest on a topic, just skip by that topic rather than come into it and disrupt it.

Mar 06, 2013 at 01:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.17 #7 · p.17 #7 · Dynamic Range

chez wrote:
If everyone would stick to the topic rather than rushing in and trying to lecture everyone else, things would not go off the rails.

Now, that's what I call an ironic post.... ;-)

Edited on Mar 06, 2013 at 01:05 AM · View previous versions

Mar 06, 2013 at 01:05 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.17 #8 · p.17 #8 · Dynamic Range

Access wrote:
Is it really just two options? 5 years ago people would have said to use MF (even today, I know someone who at least has access to a MF system), I think today we also have a few native Sony systems, OM-D (I haven't used side by side with a 5D3, but it does seem to have very good shadow noise at the lower ISOs), etc. If you truly live and die by DR, aren't there more reasonable options today than just Nikon?

Not really. For landscapes, you need to have the lens to go along with the sensor. The OMD is quite intriguing, but the lens are not there and the mpix is not there for large prints.

In fact I am holding off from going Nikon as it's TSE lens are subpar to what is available for Canon.

Mar 06, 2013 at 01:05 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.17 #9 · p.17 #9 · Dynamic Range

gdanmitchell wrote:
Now, that's what I call an ironic post.... ;-)

Yep...almost as ironic as your piece of wisdom you just added.

Mar 06, 2013 at 01:06 AM
ggreene
• • • •
p.17 #10 · p.17 #10 · Dynamic Range

chez wrote:
And does that somehow threaten you...this discussion about DR and how to best use it? Is someone holding a gun to your head, making you read every last word here? In fact, I believe I have seen you in every thread discussing DR and the only piece of wisdom ( and you have given this piece of wisdom multiple times ) is to buy Nikon. No real actual experiences of how to shoot through limited DR. No actual experiences on how much better the DR is with the D800 and what problems still exist with shooting the D800 in extreme
...Show more

If this is a post in the Landscape Photographer group talking about DR in general that's one thing but it's posted to a gear forum talking about a direct Nikon vs Canon comparison and you are surprised that people are responding with hardware recommendations?

My advice to you is if you have no interest in Canon sensor tech then move on.

Mar 06, 2013 at 02:34 PM
artd
• • •
p.17 #11 · p.17 #11 · Dynamic Range

ggreene wrote:
I don't think anyone in these threads has ever said that the Nikon/Sony sensor does not get more low ISO DR then Canon sensors so what is the discussion about? How many threads do you want reiterating the same obvious fact in a gear forum? We've had side by side comparisons and graphs up to our eyebrows showing the superior DR in the Exmor sensor. Canon will respond at some point. If we had solid rumors of a new sensor with similar capabilities I could see it but we don't so these threads end up being the same people complaining
...Show more
There are a few "complaint" posts but then there are also the "learn how to expose properly" posts or "you're stupid/lazy/incompetent if you think you need more DR" posts.

Remember, the orginal question in this thread asked about how does Canon DR limitation impact real world scenarios. If someone asserts that DR limitations do not make a difference in real world circumstances, and if I have experience and evidence to the contrary, I will share that.

I would put it to all posters: our goal here should not be to complain about Canon's sensors; nor should we want to be dismissive of those who feel there are limitations to Canon sensors. Our goal should be to discuss and explain how and when those limitations come into play and what the practical implications are. Put the information and experience out there so that individuals reading these forums can then judge for themselves if the DR issue is one that would or would not affect their own photography.

We should be able to do that much in a civil manner.

Mar 06, 2013 at 06:13 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password