Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

mdude85 wrote:
Would you like me to go on?

Actually, please do (honest respect @ fellow FM'er). I'm open minded enough to acknowledge that I'm not FB savvy at how they are protecting us (other than I can read their TOA that protects them, not me).

As mentioned, I need to remove my dinosaurus ostrichus brainius from terra firma ... thus the education is a good thing for me, et al.

Edited on Apr 02, 2013 at 03:41 PM · View previous versions

Apr 02, 2013 at 03:35 PM
mdude85
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

5 reasons is not enough? How many would satisfy you? 10, 15 or more? That way I know how much energy to devote to this tiring conversation ...

Apr 02, 2013 at 03:40 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

Fair enough ...

You've made your points @ why you think FB is safer than having your own site or hosting via any other entity.
I've made my points @ why I think FB's TOA is of concern.

But, I still don't see how a TOA that includes agreement to extend transferable IP licenses to others can be safer than something like Photoshelter or your own that does not extend such "Carte Blanche" transferable IP license.

Thanks for the insight, hopefully they collectively will aid the OP, et al on the matter.

Apr 02, 2013 at 03:45 PM
mdude85
• • • •
p.2 #4 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

I think the TOA is "of concern" as well, but still more secure than a website, all things considered. Of course there is nothing stopping the OP from creating both. Ideally the website has a somewhat different function from the Facebook page, but each supplements the experience of the other.

Apr 02, 2013 at 05:48 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

Well, there are a a number of reasons, among them including.... - Regular web hosting companies have much less sway over how content is shared and distributed based on their lack of a single, centralized and highly intelligent sharing system owned by Facebook

That's Facebook's control, not yours.

- The Facebook sharing system tends to promote organic distribution from one single source instead of a more antiquated and tedious system of downloading content from a conventional website and uploading it somewhere else, thus making the content shared by Facebook much easier to track, follow and ultimately control

That's Facebook's control, not yours.

- Regular web hosting companies often have much more obfuscated terms of service than Facebook; many have no easily accessible terms of service whatsoever

Just Google "<hostname> terms of service" Works for me.

- There are usually fewer "eyes" on regular hosting companies dissecting their behaviors to keep them "on their toes"; smaller hosting companies have almost no oversight at all

I can't think of any cases where a host has been even accused of stealing intellectual material, however. The fact is, the smaller companies also have to pay more attention to their clients than the larger companies.

- Unless your content goes truly viral such that it is downloaded and reuploaded multiple times (which is rather uncommon given that about 1 billion pieces of content are shared daily and only a small handful reach a large audience), the Facebook analytics allow you to view who is sharing your content and how many people are viewing it in a way that few (if not zero) hosting companies can

Anyone can get Google analytics, and there are numerous analytical sources for Wordpress sites.

But the real point is this:

My daughter has had a popular beauty blog for over five years. She has five years of follower interactions, five years of beauty comments and reviews, and it's all backed up on her hard drives and in her cloud storage. She moved the whole thing from one host to another about a year ago, and she can do it again at any time...all five years of it. If any given host goes out of business, she can start again elsewhere "as though it never happened."

If she had started her operation five years ago on My Space--which was the hot thing at the time--she'd have lost it. If had all her eggs in Facebook's basket today, she'd be in constant danger of losing it. You can't back all that stuff up from Facebook.

Apr 03, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

It's definitely important to have your own site. IMO, a facebook only presence isn't very professional. Also, keep in mind that Facebook is the next Myspace.... remember Myspace? My point Exactly...

Apr 03, 2013 at 03:13 AM
mdude85
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

Re: terms of service. Personally I'd rather sift through this than this, but that's just me. If you read carefully then you will find that most major web hosts exercise the same level of control over your content as Facebook, if not more. For instance, Bluehost's terms of service states that:

"By submitting content and data to Bluehost, Subscriber grants to Bluehost, its successors and assigns, the worldwide, royalty-free, and nonexclusive license under Subscriber's copyrights and other rights, if any, in all material and content displayed in Subscriber's web site to use, distribute, display, reproduce, and create derivative works from such material in any and all media, in order to maintain such content on Bluehost's servers during the term of these Terms."

Facebook's data policy is not exactly novel. Most web hosters have similar indemnity clauses, warranty disclaimers, and notices that the terms of service can change at any time and without notice. Fortunately, Facebook's sheer size helps keep it on the radar of many users and consumer watchdog-type organizations, which is why even smaller changes to its terms of service tend to be news-creating events.

Optimally I would recommend both a website and a Facebook page. I would not recommend choosing between one or the other. The type of service that Facebook has set up allows you to control your content better than most other types of services. It also retains the option of the same or more control than most other types of services or hosting companies. That's just the tradeoff, and a billion users don't seem to mind all that much.

Also, for those who are wondering, Facebook provides downloadable backups for user accounts and stores several different types of backups for each account on its own servers -- if the data were so easily destructible then it probably would not be such a popular service for billions of photos.

Best of luck to everyone!

Apr 03, 2013 at 03:22 AM
rico
• • • •
p.2 #8 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

Owning and operating your own web server is the gold standard for content control and legal ownship. That means you own the hardware, and develop the content yourself, including the HTML. You don't have to review the TOS to see what sneaky maneuver is underway because no TOS exists. You can, of course, contract for service and content, but then keep your lawyer nearby.

Apr 03, 2013 at 07:50 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · Stick with Facebook or create my own site?

dylanstraub wrote:
I have a business page on Facebook but I'm only posting low res watermarked images there. I'm worried about image theft but I really don't like to represent my business with low res crap. So will I do better with a site or should I just accept the fact that there's not much I can do to protect myself from theft? Are there strategic benefits to having a presence on both fbook and a site dedicated to better quality work? I appreciate any feedback you can give me. Thanks.

Worrying about image theft is like worrying about theft at your home. You can have all the security in the world and yet one day you can still get robbed.

What you should be worrying about is not having a website and using facebook as the face of your business.

Apr 04, 2013 at 08:10 PM
       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password