end

Archive 2013 · 85mm Comparison

Smiert Spionam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 85mm Comparison

DontShoot wrote:
I've used all but the 85 1.8D. These are my experiences with them:

Focusing speed: The Sigma 85 1.4 was the fastest focusing lens of the bunch. The 85 1.4D comes in at 2nd (with screwdriver focus and all), the 1.8G 3rd, and the 1.4G last.

Center sharpness: I would rate the Sigma 85 and Nikon 85 1.8G at the same level (sharpest) the 1.4G comes in at 2nd, and the 1.4D last. Note that while the 1.4D was not as sharp as those other modern lenses, it is part of the allure of why the 1.4D is so good for
...Show more

Yeah, the newer lenses are much more neutral -- ie, sharper, higher contrast, and less idiosyncratic -- than the 1.4D. The D has a handful of characteristics that can either be considered flaws (relatively weak at infinity, low contrast at wide stops, etc.) or assets, depending on your use. It's got a slightly cool, desaturated look at wide stops that is perfect for many portraits. I can approximate that look easily enough in post with the Sigma or 1.4G, but there's a certain charm in a lens that is perfect for a specific use.

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:20 PM
asamimasa
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 85mm Comparison

I've made a comparison between the 1.8G, 1.4G, and sigma. Didn't have the 1.4D on-hand at the time.

http://www.ucsdphotoclub.com/entry.php?38-COMPARISON-The-premium-Nikon-85-showdown

The gist of it-

-I'd personally get a 1.8G or Sigma 1.4
-The difference in blur between the 1.8 and 1.4 isn't as much as I thought it would be
-The Sigma is the fastest to focus, but the Nikon G's seem slightly more reliable
-1.8G is the weakest against flare

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:47 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 85mm Comparison

asamimasa wrote:
I've made a comparison between the 1.8G, 1.4G, and sigma. Didn't have the 1.4D on-hand at the time.

http://www.ucsdphotoclub.com/entry.php?38-COMPARISON-The-premium-Nikon-85-showdown

The gist of it-

-I'd personally get a 1.8G or Sigma 1.4
-The difference in blur between the 1.8 and 1.4 isn't as much as I thought it would be
-The Sigma is the fastest to focus, but the Nikon G's seem slightly more reliable
-1.8G is the weakest against flare

Other than the flare(which can be controlled somewhat) the differences were nill.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:01 PM
cvrle59
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 85mm Comparison

I used to use 85 F/1.8D for basketball, and I went through an update testing different options.
I found that 1.8G has slightly faster focus than 1.4G, but with almost no cost in quality of image. I use 1.8G from time to time for HS basketball if no enough light, but I am using 70-200 VR2 95% of the time. Nothing beats focus speed of the lens, when you using focus tracking. It is made for sports....

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:14 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.