Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · International travel with camera equipment...weight issues?

beccaquint

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · International travel with camera equipment...weight issues?

Hey all,

This seemed the best place to post this...I'm going to be doing a chunk of international travel over the next few months. The one thing that has me worried is the weight restrictions several international airlines place on carry on luggage...my Think Tank bag is appropriately sized but definitely weighs more than 7kg ()or even 10kg) when fully loaded. Has anyone ever had issues with this? Do airlines let it slide because it's camera gear? If not, any suggestions for getting around it?

Feb 17, 2013 at 05:47 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · International travel with camera equipment...weight issues?

Three round trips, cattle car class, from Philadelphia to Charles De Gaulle, first time aboard Delta, last two aboard USAirways. I always took too much gear, first time in V.1 of TT Airport Accelerate (?), last two times with my TT Rotation 360. Got nary a glance in Philly. At departure from CDG, each time I had to take out all my gear, lenses, bodies, etc., place them in a separate plastic bin for X-ray inspection. Not a problem of any kind, at least on those carriers and between those two airports. HTH, tony

Feb 17, 2013 at 06:17 PM
GillR
• • •
p.1 #3 · International travel with camera equipment...weight issues?

I've had my backpack weighed when checking in to Virgin Atlantic flights from the UK. Two flights in the last 12 months, but neither time was it weighed when boarding in the US for the return flight. I scraped in 0.1kg under the limit, but only because I'd packed some of my gear into my husband's backpack

When barding a plane at Munich, both my husband and I had to take our SLRS out and show the security staff that they would take photographs. Never had that anywhere else.

Feb 17, 2013 at 07:14 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · International travel with camera equipment...weight issues?

would have been interesting if what you had with you was a film camera.

Feb 17, 2013 at 07:22 PM
Lotuselite
• •
p.1 #5 · International travel with camera equipment...weight issues?

Most airlines have their baggage requirements on their websites. There is a fair bit of variation.
As to enforcement of those requirements, I'd guess you might be taking your chances.
Carry on baggage has become a zoo.

Feb 18, 2013 at 02:07 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password