Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · When an "offer" isn't.

unangelino
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · When an "offer" isn't.

OK, I know this will make me seem even older than I am (and even more grumpy) but I have to put this out there:

Please, refrain from the use of the phrase: Would you take?

That is not an offer and it's not a game a good FMer should play. An offer states what a buyer will do, not what he might do if his horoscope says to.

An offer reads like this: "I'll pay you $967 dollars shipped and PayPaled for your Canikon Q50."

Would you take is usually nothing but a fishing attempt. When a seller is silly enough to "accept" an offer worded that way he's almost always gonna get a reply like, "OK, I'm waiting on a PayPal refund and I've got some fishing gear up on ebay...once I have the money I'll get back to you."

Translation? Now that I have your bottom feeder, low-ball number in hand you can wait to see if I'll actually come through. Either that, or he'll get no reply at all.

It's just not a way of doing business that fits here at FM, IMHO.

So please, if you want to make an offer just make one. If you're just fishing for the lowest possible price imaginable, with no commitment on your part, take your game to Ebay and Craigslist.

End rave.

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:25 PM
tntcorp
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · When an "offer" isn't.

w/ all due respect:

but unless i'm wrong, it's also the prerogative of the buyer to counter w/ the specific of the transactions as well.

i don't believe that a buyer is locked-in to the transaction when response to such "fishing" attempts.

or the buyer can chose not to response at all.

good luck with the sale! ;-)

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:33 PM
jaredmizanin
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · When an "offer" isn't.

Tag.

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:36 PM
dad3and3
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · When an "offer" isn't.

First, "Would you take" this to the proper forum?

Second, What a bunch of ......

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:39 PM
nufan2222

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · When an "offer" isn't.

This is just how business work. If a guy decide that he doesn't want it or change his mind down the line, you have no choice but move on to the next buyer

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:42 PM
number4

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · When an "offer" isn't.

Would you take- my offer of support?

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:45 PM
Kevin Hummer
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · When an "offer" isn't.

Friday afternoon, ppl must be bored

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:47 PM
Thang
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · When an "offer" isn't.

I wait for no one. If the buyer says "I will take it" but doesn't pay within 30 minutes, (unless prearranged and buyer is a high standing member) I go on to the next person.

Negotiation is part of every transaction BUT that doesn't mean I am committed to that buyer either.

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:49 PM
Mike1.6
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · When an "offer" isn't.

I think you worry too much Paul. Precision of language is not something I rely on in 'net communications. I can thoroughly sympathize with you, but in the end, it's not a big deal. People that want to buy something speak clearly and people on the fence ask vague questions. They're easy to spot and just as easy to deal with.

That being said, I think you should definitely express your opinion on this subject. Eventually, this thread will end up in the "Forum & Miscellaneous" section, where it belongs.

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:54 PM
selee
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · When an "offer" isn't.

The same FM'er played that fishing game with me twice!! I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same guy srewing with all of us here.

Feb 15, 2013 at 07:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

unangelino
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · When an "offer" isn't.

I agree completely.

The buyer is totally free to state his terms and conditions. That's fine. The buyer is never locked in until he pays.

That's why offers to buy, and stating acceptable terms as you say, should be made clearly.

tntcorp wrote:
w/ all due respect:

but unless i'm wrong, it's also the prerogative of the buyer to counter w/ the specific of the transactions as well.

i don't believe that a buyer is locked-in to the transaction when response to such "fishing" attempts.

or the buyer can chose not to response at all.

good luck with the sale! ;-)

Feb 15, 2013 at 07:04 PM
Ektar25
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · When an "offer" isn't.

"Please refrain from" posting this kind of BS in the B&S Forum.

Feb 15, 2013 at 07:05 PM
cohenfive
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · When an "offer" isn't.

I've been looking for a Canikon Q50. Are you really selling one or just fishing?

I think this thread belongs elsewhere....

Feb 15, 2013 at 07:10 PM
jaybird555
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · When an "offer" isn't.

Would you take my advice, I'm not using it...

Feb 15, 2013 at 07:11 PM
nygfan44

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · When an "offer" isn't.

I don't think there's a big issue here. No Buyer or Seller is committed to an agreement until both parties accept the other's terms. I don't expect any Seller to 'hold' an item for me, unless they are prepared to do so. I don't 'hold' an item for a Buyer, unless they leave me a non-refundable deposit. If someone wants to buy my "Q50" they pay my asking price, make an acceptable offer and pay, or it stays for sale.

I don't think someone 'fishing' is all that horrible. It could be annoying...I get that part. Personally I only refer to transaction specifics ( pricing, offers, shipping or fees, etc...) in PM's. I think other issues such as item availability and functionality are fine for public viewing. Now if there's a certain etiquette to be maintained her at FM, I am willing to abide by it. I'm a newbie and certainly don't want to be a 'gonner' too.

Al

Feb 15, 2013 at 07:28 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · When an "offer" isn't.

Not to add to the banter, but I've been accused of "fishing" just for asking a question like what the shutter count was, or If a certain repair had been done.
Now these I would call legitimate questions, but thats not the way it was taken. I'll have to admit though, so people are just a pain to deal with, and that includes buyers and sellers as well.

Feb 15, 2013 at 07:37 PM
machinez
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · When an "offer" isn't.

Everything is conversation until money is exchanged.
Some conversations can get straight up annoying.
Couple what OP is saying and put a 24 to 48 hour delay between correspondences from a person with no feedback and recent join date. You know all you are doing is giving your fingers a little exercise when hitting the reply button.

Feb 15, 2013 at 07:41 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · When an "offer" isn't.

Yawn...

There are buyers that want something for nothing. There are sellers that want the sun and the stars for their old junk. There are picky people, and slow people, and flaky people...

If you're not prepared to deal with these kind of people, perhaps you should consider not selling your merchandise on the internet. This is reality, welcome to it.

Feb 15, 2013 at 07:43 PM
eteng32
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · When an "offer" isn't.

Agreed. I am a newbie here and see things from both perspectives. This is just the nature of the beast. Do people go into used car lot and pay asking price? Both parties are prepared to negotiate. just this guy's 2 cents.

binary visions wrote:
Yawn...

There are buyers that want something for nothing. There are sellers that want the sun and the stars for their old junk. There are picky people, and slow people, and flaky people...

If you're not prepared to deal with these kind of people, perhaps you should consider not selling your merchandise on the internet. This is reality, welcome to it.

Feb 15, 2013 at 07:52 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · When an "offer" isn't.

unangelino wrote:
Please, refrain from the use of the phrase: Would you take?

If it is sent via PM, there is the delete button.

Problem solved.

Feb 15, 2013 at 08:58 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password