1       2       3              6      
       8       end

Archive 2013 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

contas
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

rirakuma wrote:
No one is going to give you medal by flooding the thread with off topic info. If you're going to have a silly argument with another member could you please do it somewhere else. Thank you.

Are you on your knee? you need to shout: "God save the King " for the full set of a slave.

Feb 19, 2013 at 01:31 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

crazeazn wrote:
the lense in the video doesnt look like the one in the photos? what gives.

These are still prototypes, and Zeiss has mentioned that the exterior will still undergo minor changes before being put into production. I expect the smooth focusing ring rubber to become textured. The smooth finish would be hell with even a small amount of moisture.

Feb 19, 2013 at 02:45 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

contas wrote:
Are you on your knee? you need to shout: "God save the King " for the full set of a slave.

Your understanding of physics seems strangely related to the top hits on Google, and about as good as the colours of a Foveon sensor.

Feb 19, 2013 at 02:46 AM
contas
• • •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

I don't want to be rude, personally have with you 3 discussions, and you still remember the outcomes.Internet or Google is a never better source of info don't need to repeat.I 've done atleast 6 conversion AF Zeiss lenses to Canon and Sigma SA rely only from single that source.I don't like the way you a ZF user think you are a real Alt of Zeiss lens either remmber you are a player not a fighter don't compete,btw, your Nikon D800 is a Bayer and it limits your way perception the real world: the colors, details from Bayer is through interpolation and filters.To judge Foveon, print it out.Won't answer.

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:17 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

You are an endless source of entertainment.

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:26 AM
Guari
• • •
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

carstenw wrote:
You are an endless source of entertainment.

+1

I'm quite amazed, actually

Contas, please stay on topic or go discuss your revolutionary ideas on a physics forum.

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:52 AM
contas
• • •
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

I will stay where I want but not answer cartenw, just don't want lead to a hash collision.
Guari: pls refer back to 5th page your silly questions were full filled.

Feb 19, 2013 at 04:59 AM
S Dilworth
• •
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

hiepphotog wrote:
It is interesting to see how Zeiss always avoids using exotic glass by forgoing size/weight constraint (e.g. the two Jahre's vs. Canon Asph and now this vs. the Leica APO).

If by exotic glass you mean anomalous partial dispersion glass, Zeiss uses it frequently (eight of the 13 current Z-series lenses use it, for example. And the youngest Z-series lens without anomalous partial dispersion glass is the 28 mm f/2 from 2007).

carstenw wrote:
I expect the smooth focusing ring rubber to become textured. The smooth finish would be hell with even a small amount of moisture.

The focus ring is covered in soft and very grippy synthetic rubber. Zeiss might change it for production, but it’s not at all slippery as is, and wouldn’t be even in the wet – certainly considering the very low torque needed to turn a focus ring. We’re not talking about winter tyres here!

Sigma’s latest mirrorless lenses have done away with heavy texture on the focus ring. Granted, those lenses are cheap and autofocus, so quite different from this Zeiss. But it wouldn’t surprise me if removing heavy patterns from the grips (and other superfluous decoration) becomes a new trend.

Vishal Sabharwal seems to suggest Zeiss will put a glass cover over the distance scale. I don’t see a need for that either, but maybe it will happen.

Feb 19, 2013 at 05:47 AM
U.C.
• • •
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

contas wrote:
Here:The static gravitational force, the "weight", is proportional to:
(1) f=mg
Where:

f = Force, newtons.
m = Mass, kilograms
g = Gravitational acceleration, m/s2, described in the previous section.
In this :http://arachnoid.com/gravitation_equations/force_weight.html

Sorry for going offtopic...
Define "static" and weight isn't the same as gravitational force. At the ISS the weight=0, but the gravitational force definitely isn't. Even on earth there are differences in weight between standing at the equator or standing at the poles.

Ontopic: I don't like very desirable lenses with such price tags....

Feb 19, 2013 at 06:19 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

contas wrote:
I will stay where I want but not answer cartenw, just don't want lead to a hash collision.
Guari: pls refer back to 5th page your silly questions were full filled.

Why, you don't think my hash will get along with your hash?

Feb 19, 2013 at 06:45 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

I guess the BMI of this lens will change not only with where on earth you are, but also with what body you use it on. Just don't add energy to it's mass by using it against somebody's body.

Feb 19, 2013 at 07:15 AM
contas
• • •
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

No more answer on Physics, full back reference is recommended .
Come on carstenw, I know you very well, your arsenal has some brilliant lenses as mine but you never let them a chance/won't be able to.Your commends around often offending for considered by you "weak" people and never fair.Your trying some lens "touching" give me judge you low enough, as
low as 5$ vs 1k$ my conversions.Your 10K posts do not means you good that mean you are free.Time is always fair, will show who is who and who really is.Did I say Fighter and player.

Feb 19, 2013 at 09:03 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

S Dilworth wrote:
Vishal Sabharwal seems to suggest Zeiss will put a glass cover over the distance scale. I don’t see a need for that either, but maybe it will happen.

I hope not. All the Nikon AF-S lenses I used to own had those stupid windows and they absolutely LOVED to break.

I really hope they design this thing exactly like the current Z* lenses. If it ain't broke...

Feb 20, 2013 at 01:29 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

Lee Saxon wrote:
I hope not. All the Nikon AF-S lenses I used to own had those stupid windows and they absolutely LOVED to break.

I really hope they design this thing exactly like the current Z* lenses. If it ain't broke...

I also prefer the classical construction, but I am guessing that this is an attempt at weather-proofing. The lens looks quite sealed.

Feb 20, 2013 at 06:04 PM
contas
• • •
p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

Oh no, you deleted yourself, can't believe it.
But your looong reply is already in my memory.
Don't expect I'll do long, just I did slow enough and no more slow.I found that beside repeat asking already answered you showed that you lose your memory.But FM forum has tools, if you want to recall open my post (contas post ), but I don't recommend that for your mental health.Viva amnesia.
Sorry all for typos and off topic.

Feb 20, 2013 at 07:56 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

A few more samples taken with the D3s in an old blog post:

http://brianhirschfeldphotography.com/category/hasselblad/hasselblad-lenses/

Feb 20, 2013 at 09:13 PM
S Dilworth
• •
p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

carstenw wrote:
I also prefer the classical construction, but I am guessing that this is an attempt at weather-proofing. The lens looks quite sealed.

Looking at my bad snapshots of the Photokina prototype, I’m convinced this lens will not be given a glass cover over the distance scale unless it’s substantially redesigned – which I think unlikely.

First, there’s nowhere for the glass plate to attach. It can’t very well attach to the focus ring!

Second, many popular lenses over the years have used an arrangement like the Distagon prototype, including enormous numbers of Pentax lenses – lenses which if anything are famous for their high construction quality, smoothness of operation, and longevity (I have a 30-year-old 50 mm f/1.7 that is extraordinarily well made).

Third, there’s no point: it’s already sealed as well as any manual-focus lens, which is to say more than adequately courtesy of small gaps and grease in the focusing helicoid. These lenses are more impervious to weather than supposedly sealed autofocus lenses, and less likely to suffer permanent damage if they do get soaked.

And fourth, there are good reason not to add a window: glass or plastic can break, plastic scratches, and any material reflects light, which can sometimes interfere with reading the distance scale. And with those cine-style neon yellow (fluorescent?) markings, Zeiss clearly cares about readability here.

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:27 AM
Rodluvan
• • •
p.7 #18 · p.7 #18 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

Any idea why they went with 55mm? For me it's a very awkward focal length. Already 50mm is somewhere in nowhere's land.

Edit,

I found this from link above
"I asked the representative why 55mm instead of 50: roughly, it was actually the most cost effective thing to do. When all the glass was designed and put together, 55mm was the way it had to be."

So they design a superlative 50-something lens and cut corners on focal length.

Apr 18, 2013 at 02:19 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #19 · p.7 #19 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

It's the way it had to be...I like that. If there is one thing this lens did not do, it is 'cut corners'. Whoever is lucky enough to have one will find it very rewarding.

Actually 55mm is a better FL in many ways, a lot of people find they can shoot people very nicely with a 58mm. Wonder what it weighs, every hand I see holding it is pretty full, usually two hands in fact, lol.

Samuel, hiepphotog is probably referring to asph surface lenses. Zeiss has developed a liking for these of late, in addition to their long term use of various high refractive index glass elements. The RX1 has no fewer than three of them, with five asph surfaces in 8/7 config, so it's a very full little lens. It also works, you could say.

Apr 18, 2013 at 04:41 AM
bushwacker
• • •
p.7 #20 · p.7 #20 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

S Dilworth wrote:
Can we squeeze in Ohm’s law too, gents?

And I can’t believe someone else knows about thin, fixed spaces between numerical values and unit symbols! (Except for the units º, ', and ".) The web is full of geeks – and sadly still not typographically ready for them. I compromise and use a normal space (fixed (non-breaking) when the software supports it (Option-space)).

I agree with alundeb that this watch face is a bad test of false colour, since it clearly isn’t neutral itself. There’s probably some false colour there, but it’s impossible to guess how much.

Ohm's law?

V=IR

Apr 19, 2013 at 04:32 AM
       8       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

8       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.