Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7       8       end

Archive 2013 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

Guari
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

alundeb wrote:
I meant to say that most of this may not be aberrations at all, but real colors in the image.

I also think this is the case, it's common to see such coloured reflections with the naked eyes on watches... just my opinion

Feb 18, 2013 at 06:52 PM
Guari
• • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

Guari wrote:
May I suggest kilogram (kg) instead of kelvin gram (Kg)?

(Yes, there should be a small space between K and g, but I don't think FM supports that.)

OK.

Good catch!

Feb 18, 2013 at 06:53 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

joakim wrote:
But CA from the 50 Planar would be much worse wouldn't it and the sharpness wouldn't be as good?

Sure, but I picked it up for 1/10th of what this lens will cost. If there is this much CA left over, I would question what we are paying for. I have sharpness in my 50MP, so it isn't like I will miss much there. I was hoping for sharpness a-la 50MP with look a-la 50P.

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:40 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

contas wrote:
Non of you mentioned about moving object, so you don't understand of need that E=mc2.20N is static G.force and you already know it hard to handle, it becomes harder if you move it around the models, in short, you'll need to spend more force or your ENERGY to keep it right in moving not drop it to floor.Above formula of A.E tells the relationship among mass, moving speed and energy not energy alone as you thought.

Do you know how fast you would have to move for this even to become interesting? Do you just make stuff up as you go along? Just stop when you run out of knowledge, that is much more graceful.

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:41 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

Gunzorro wrote:
The lens looks very good, a real piece of art. Out of my range -- until they come out with an IS/AF version.

Thanks for the video.

You would just buy it and sell it again anyway

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:44 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

alundeb wrote:
There are all kinds of colorful reflections in that image. Look at the blue color of the in focus part of the rim on top. And the rim turns yellow towards FG OOF. And the blurred glass and metal in the top and top left changes color from blueish to yellowish all in the backround OOF. While there are traces of yellow / blue in the BG / FG, I don't think everything wee see in this image is LoCA, far from it.

I guess that much of it could be reflections, but that jaggy purple fringe on the right bothers me a lot. I will wait for more test shots (as if I had a choice) to see other tests like this.

Feb 18, 2013 at 07:46 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

carstenw wrote:
Do you know how fast you would have to move for this even to become interesting? Do you just make stuff up as you go along? Just stop when you run out of knowledge, that is much more graceful.

Furthermore, once things get fast enough for relativity to "become interesting," Contas is using the wrong equation anyway. To calculate the "relationship among mass, moving speed and energy" you'll need to use the more complete form:

E^2 = m^2 c^4 + p^2 c^2

where p is the momentum (and the velocity is v = (p*c/E)*c). "E=mc^2" is just a simplification for the non-moving "rest frame" case, relevant in the limit where p^2 c^2 << m^2 c^4, i.e. when things are moving far too slowly for relativity to "become interesting" (which includes every case where the person holding the lens isn't disintegrating into an x-ray emitting plasma).

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:09 PM
S Dilworth
• •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

Can we squeeze in Ohmís law too, gents?

And I canít believe someone else knows about thin, fixed spaces between numerical values and unit symbols! (Except for the units ļ, ', and ".) The web is full of geeks Ė and sadly still not typographically ready for them. I compromise and use a normal space (fixed (non-breaking) when the software supports it (Option-space)).

I agree with alundeb that this watch face is a bad test of false colour, since it clearly isnít neutral itself. Thereís probably some false colour there, but itís impossible to guess how much.

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:45 PM
uscmatt99
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

carstenw wrote:
I guess that much of it could be reflections, but that jaggy purple fringe on the right bothers me a lot. I will wait for more test shots (as if I had a choice) to see other tests like this.

Not sure if you've seen many of these in person, but some have pretty exaggerated domed crystals. Can't tell if this model's crystal is plexiglass or sapphire, but I'd suspect scratchable plexi based on the reflection on the left with little linear markings. Maybe we're seeing the rendering of abberations of the crystal and crystal-steel interface, rather than the lens itself.

Feb 18, 2013 at 09:07 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

I think at least some of what we are seeing is reflections off the metal rim.

Feb 18, 2013 at 09:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

theSuede
• • • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

And quite a lot of the "color" in the edges of those OOF highlights are digital artifacts stemming from the fact that the green channel in a normal digital sensor will clip approximately 1Ev before the other two, at least in ~5000K WB situations. In lower WB temps, blue will typically still contain information 2-3Ev after green has clipped to maximum value.

So, bokeh fringes should not be judged by OOF highlights when the aberration is small in strength - to do that you have to look at non-clipped material.

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

theSuede wrote:
And quite a lot of the "color" in the edges of those OOF highlights are digital artifacts stemming from the fact that the green channel in a normal digital sensor will clip approximately 1Ev before the other two, at least in ~5000K WB situations. In lower WB temps, blue will typically still contain information 2-3Ev after green has clipped to maximum value.

So, bokeh fringes should not be judged by OOF highlights when the aberration is small in strength - to do that you have to look at non-clipped material.

is this the source of the "purple fringing" in general that zeiss and voigtlander seem to have so much trouble with on digital?

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

I find the bokeh of the green foliage shot interesting. Kind of 50 Lux ASPH in feeling. While there aren't any strong OOF specular highlights in that shot, the 'blur balls' that are evident, have similar qualities to the Lux ASPH.

Also, the close-up of the orange fake foliage/flower, is impressive for its apparent lack of SA. It destroys the Lux ASPH here, from a purely technical perspective.

Will be interesting to see side by side results from this lens against a number of famous 50s!

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:48 PM
contas
• • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

@mpmendenhall : I think E=mc2 is enough, momentum may apply for very fast moving object like space particles not handhelded moving camera, thanks for simplified explaination.
Now if we tell about energy we need to follow The law of conservation of energy, if the camera is pushed (pulled, reached-out ) creating a certaint kinetic energy, the heavier camera + lens the bigger amount of energy is needed and photographer loses his energy from breakfast sooner, and feels tired quicker, that what I need to say beside the weight ( in kilograms) alone. Here is the video example of that law:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_energy
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/31/Physicsworks.ogg/250px--Physicsworks.ogg.jpg

Feb 19, 2013 at 02:52 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

Where are you going with this?

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:07 AM
contas
• • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

No problem, I see that I need to slooow down to match.
1- 1st episode , Prof demontrated how kinetic energy works.
2- 2nd episode, Prof carefully evaluated the applied kinetic energy that guarrantees it won't become killing energy and this lecture becomes the last.

Feb 19, 2013 at 04:41 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

carstenw wrote:
Where are you going with this?

just wait for it, i'm positive now that he is going use the lorentz equations to calculate time dilation so that he can properly adjust shutter speed while moving his camera around at relativistic speeds.

Feb 19, 2013 at 05:06 AM
rirakuma
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

contas wrote:
No problem, I see that I need to slooow down to match.
1- 1st episode , Prof demontrated how kinetic energy works.
2- 2nd episode, Prof carefully evaluated the applied kinetic energy that guarrantees it won't become killing energy and this lecture becomes the last.

No one is going to give you medal by flooding the thread with off topic info. If you're going to have a silly argument with another member could you please do it somewhere else. Thank you.

Feb 19, 2013 at 05:18 AM
crazeazn
• • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

the lense in the video doesnt look like the one in the photos? what gives.

Feb 19, 2013 at 05:28 AM
thrice
• • • •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · Zeiss 55/1.4 Video

contas wrote:
momentum

You may no longer argue physics.

Feb 19, 2013 at 06:30 AM
1       2       3              5      
       7       8       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell