Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Are all our lenses and cameras going to bust in 10 years?

brianric
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Are all our lenses and cameras going to bust in 10 years?

In ten years I'll more and likely be pushing daisies.

Feb 16, 2013 at 03:48 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Are all our lenses and cameras going to bust in 10 years?

brianric wrote:
In ten years I'll more and likely be pushing daisies.

Not me! I'll be spread all over Ding Darling Nature Preserve. Much nicer than some box in a hole.

Feb 16, 2013 at 04:47 PM
OldProf
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Are all our lenses and cameras going to bust in 10 years?

runamuck wrote:
Not me! I'll be spread all over Ding Darling Nature Preserve. Much nicer than some box in a hole.

Do you mean right near the sandbar where all the white pelicans stay in the winter?

Feb 16, 2013 at 08:10 PM
SweetMk
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Are all our lenses and cameras going to bust in 10 years?

None of this hot electrons or migrating solder was discussed before the tsunami caused the radiation release in Japan.

Those owners of these items in the states with radiation dumps will only get 6 years of use.

I believe the radiation is enhancing these defects, but, I put a foil hat on my new lens, so I am good for more than ten years!!!

Feb 16, 2013 at 08:17 PM
OldProf
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Are all our lenses and cameras going to bust in 10 years?

SweetMk wrote:
None of this hot electrons or migrating solder was discussed before the tsunami caused the radiation release in Japan.

Those owners of these items in the states with radiation dumps will only get 6 years of use.

I believe the radiation is enhancing these defects, but, I put a foil hat on my new lens, so I am good for more than ten years!!!

Good thinking! However, make sure the aluminum foil hat is in the shape of a cone. This causes the hot electrons to slide off, fall to the ground and cool off.

Feb 16, 2013 at 08:25 PM
SweetMk
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Are all our lenses and cameras going to bust in 10 years?

OldProf wrote:
Good thinking! However, make sure the aluminum foil hat is in the shape of a cone. This causes the hot electrons to slide off, fall to the ground and cool off.

Cone shaped it is, a miniture of mine!!

Feb 16, 2013 at 08:30 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Are all our lenses and cameras going to bust in 10 years?

SweetMk wrote:
Cone shaped it is, a miniture of mine!!

Hey guys, get real. Everyone knows that aluminum foil is too thin. You have to use an aluminum saucepan for any protection. The electrons then slide down the handle and form a pile at your feet. Try it some time. Don't let the handle get over your shoulder or you get burned.

Feb 16, 2013 at 09:28 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Are all our lenses and cameras going to bust in 10 years?

OldProf wrote:
Do you mean right near the sandbar where all the white pelicans stay in the winter?

I was thinking of the alligator lagoon where the walkway goes around. Maybe they could film an episode of "Gator Boys" there and get a shot of my ashes!

More likely is a spot I found that is closed to the public. Go back 100 yards and there is a big pond. A hurricane did some landscaping since I was there last, so I guess I have to go back and remap. Two of my kitty's ashes will go with me, so someplace dry.

Feb 16, 2013 at 09:34 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Are all our lenses and cameras going to bust in 10 years?

I used a 1D Mark II for about 8 years, and a 17-40 f/4 for longer than that, so I don't think an anticipated lifetime of 10 years such a silly proposition. That said, it makes little sense to worry about such things.

Arka C.

Feb 17, 2013 at 04:01 AM
SweetMk
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Are all our lenses and cameras going to bust in 10 years?

Arka wrote:
I used a 1D Mark II for about 8 years, and a 17-40 f/4 for longer than that, so I don't think an anticipated lifetime of 10 years such a silly proposition. That said, it makes little sense to worry about such things.

Arka C.

If we do not worry about this then we have to worry about whether or not we paid a couple dollars too much for a lens, or if the write speed of our newly purchased card is fast enough, or if our speedlight (speedlite) has enough GN to photograph 4 people, or...........................

Feb 17, 2013 at 09:35 AM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Are all our lenses and cameras going to bust in 10 years?

>Sure! I would love to hear about hot electrons.

All MOSFET-based microelectronic devices* are continually stressed in operation by hot electrons striking the interface or penetrating the gate insulator. These cause degradation of the transistor characteristics. Eventually a transistor will fail. Chips are designed to make this failure unlikely within the service lifetime- whatever that is. As with most failure mechanisms, some chips will last longer, some will last less long.

We should expect that any chip will eventually fail, and the more aggressive the design the sooner the failure.

Hot electrons are used to positive effect (strange expression here, 'cause they are negative, right?) to charge floating gates in flash memory. The number of electrons used to store a bit is countably small. Flash memory bits fail all the time; usually this is masked to the user by coding redundancy and algorithms that hide failed cells.

Cameras of old were mechanical, and could be disassembled and parts replaced. This is less and less true- even if the chips WERE available, repairing modern electronics is chancy.

We should not regard a camera as a valuable artifact, like a classic car that's fun to drive and will also increase in value. It's a tool, that will eventually fail and be unrepairable, with a value that will continually decline.

And unlike an old Leica, it's not even going to look ornamental on the shelf.

* Image sensors, and pretty much all the other chips in your camera, computer, and cell phone.

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:18 AM
derry1
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Are all our lenses and cameras going to bust in 10 years?

in ten years, if I am not a pile of ashes, my iphone will be doing a better job at photography than my 800E is at present,,

I can't imagine what the DSLRs will be offering by then, most likely a point and shoot with just one lens and the software will offer you focus on any item, unlimited zoom on the photo, total color control as well as shadows,, perhaps a slider to make about any adjustment you could want,,

if I'm around I will be using whatever is on the street and loving it,,

Derry

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:46 PM
TozFeek

p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Are all our lenses and cameras going to bust in 10 years?

How about young people that might be around for another 40 years?
How about implanting a pacemaker or an insulin pump into a patient and telling them "Don't worry, if you don't die of natural causes, the implant, and its whiskers, will kill you. Make sure you have a will in about 4-5 years!"
Why should we settle for inferior standards when the technology can do better.
Just some thoughts.
Toz Feek

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:07 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Are all our lenses and cameras going to bust in 10 years?

You're right. A life safety product is similar to, and should be built to the same standards as, a camera lens.

You think your camera lenses/bodies are expensive now...

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:24 PM
TozFeek

p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Are all our lenses and cameras going to bust in 10 years?

binary visions wrote:
You're right. A life safety product is similar to, and should be built to the same standards as, a camera lens.

You think your camera lenses/bodies are expensive now...

I am not comparing a lens to a life safety product.
It seems like a failure of a lens, camera or even a personal computer is not a big deal. However, the RoHS compliance applies not only to lenses but various other life safety products.

For example some think, although not confirmed, that the sudden acceleration of Toyotas is thought to be whisker solder shorting out in the gas pedal electronics.

Do electronic components in almost all fly by wire planes comply with RoHS? I do not want to sound like an alarmist but one should think rationally about these issues and try to fix the problem if one exists.

with kind regards
Toz Feek

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:37 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.