Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

Archive 2013 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

Bifurcator
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

Either Lion or ML will provide you with a muuuch smoother user experience than 10.6.anything. Lion 10.7.5 is quantifiably and noticeably faster than Snow Leopard and ML is a small bump up from that. Although not quantifiable it's been my experience that Lion is also more stable than SL. Most of the smoothness in lion over SL is due to the vastly improved (but still quite whack) dynamic pager profile that Apple implements. Lion's has been rewritten and better profiles produced.

You can get SL to feel more like Lion in fact by turning off the DP all together. And Lion will be better behaved as well.

To turn it off just enter:
    sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.dynamic_pager.plist

in the terminal, followed by a reboot. You can turn it on again with:
    sudo launchctl load -wF /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.dynamic_pager.plist

also followed by rebooting.

Mar 09, 2013 at 09:01 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

morganb4 wrote:
Yup. This.

Sorry I should been more clear. All my Adobe products are fine. It is other minor irritating stuff. Running a second monitor. One day when it wakes up and it is a blue screen and I have to unplug everything and restart. Next time it is OK but the desktop on the second monitor may or may not show the desktop image. Apple says that should not be happening but just look it up on the net. I go into Finder and search for a file, one day they are nicely organized the next day scattered al over. I have re-installed the OP with apple support about 3 times.

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:57 AM
lou f
• • • • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

Alan321 wrote:
If you like AppleThink then Apples are really great but in fact AppleThink is becoming increasingly restrictive in terms of what you can do and how you can do it. e.g. Want to sync your Mac with your iPhone or iPod? Then the only way with up to date products is to use iCloud (the web). Too bad if like me you spend time where the iCloud doesn't exist or doesn't work or is just too expensive - Apple have taken away the possibility of direct connections to do the syncing with.

- Alan

you can turn icloud off on the summary sync page.

Mar 13, 2013 at 05:26 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

morganb4 wrote:
Alan321 wrote:
The latest office software from Apple is several years old and is a crippled version of MS Office. Even Office 97 has better (and useful) features than iWorks does. The Mac versions of Office are cut down from the Windows version.

What do you feel has been axed/missing from Microsofts Mac version of Office, I thought it was OK.

Some examples:

1. Outlook:mac does not do archiving like the windows version does (no selectable date range - it's all or nothing)
2. Outlook:mac does not (or at least it did not) read archived stuff from older outlook:windows formats
3. There is no OneNote program for
...Show more

Mar 20, 2013 at 04:44 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

morganb4, aaron negro and lou f, are you guys telling me that I can synchronise my ipod, ipad and mbp via a wi-fi or wired connection if I disable the cloud facility ? I've had that work for music via itunes but not for the reminders and notes programs. I also tried an external program that could find some stuff on a portable device but it could not help with the notes and reminders.

It's the reminders and Notes that I am most likely to enter into different devices at different locations and then want to sync later on with the mbp. If you know a way to do that without the cloud then I'd very much appreciate some help with it. The web pages and instructions that I have seen all imply that the cloud is the only way.

- Alan

Mar 20, 2013 at 04:51 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

TBH Alan, I havent tried for a little while as I am now Android based for my phone so I cant verify anything for you anymore.

Mar 28, 2013 at 06:30 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · PC to Mac - your thoughts?

After a month of mac ownership I can say that I am very happy with the move, with once exception. On the PC I used ACDSEE to view images, batch rename images, and burn images to disk. On the mac ACDSEE is unusable - its slow, clunky, and often won't copy all files when I want to move some about - and I haven't found an alternative that will do what I want - so am having to use Finder to view and burn, and I have found a program called 'A Better Finder Rename' for my renaming purposes.

Mar 29, 2013 at 07:32 AM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.