Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Bridezilla -- Did I handle right?

sic0048
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Bridezilla -- Did I handle right?

morganb4 wrote:
Why, just curious...?

The odds of them having to change the date are dramatically higher if they don't have a venue yet. Then you are stuck trying to reschedule a day that you blocked out and potentially having a tough conversation with your clients about the non-refundable retainer policy.

Let them book the venue and then book your services. If they really want to use you (and that is why they are trying to book you prior to the venue), then they will still come back after booking the venue.

Feb 15, 2013 at 04:22 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Bridezilla -- Did I handle right?

Ian Ivey wrote:
I continue to be surprised by the number of people who look for reasons to turn down business One of my last few clients of 2012 started off this way -- similar tone about worries, groom absent, strange vibes from the bride, mom figuring prominently, some demands that were a challenge to meet -- but they turned out to be some of my favorite folks of the year, and were very conscientious about payment.

I'm glad it worked out for you. It's been forever since I shot weddings, but I learned the hard way to trust my instincts. Unlike your experience, most of those who raised red flags ended up being huge time sucks, to the point I didn't make much money from the job. If they were unpleasant at the consultation, they were usually even worse at the wedding.

Life's too short to deal with bridezillas. Most of all they are bad for business. Just look at posts at the Knot and other social media and you can see how damaging they can be to your reputation.

Feb 15, 2013 at 05:25 PM
kardician
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Bridezilla -- Did I handle right?

slightly OT, but for those of you who become "booked" after a reg flag client, have you ever considered how to handle a situation where a friend of the bride inquires about the same day later on and you become available again?

Feb 16, 2013 at 01:39 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Bridezilla -- Did I handle right?

kardician wrote:
for those of you who become "booked" after a reg flag client, have you ever considered how to handle a situation where a friend of the bride inquires about the same day later on and you become available again?

For myself, I don't become "booked". I just tell them straight out that I think they would be better off to keep searching. To me, this "becoming booked" feels kind of shady.

Feb 16, 2013 at 03:00 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Bridezilla -- Did I handle right?

friscoron wrote:
As I was showing her one of my albums, she said she couldn't even judge the quality of my album because as she was looking at my pictures, all she could think about was the choices the bride made

To be fair, I have noticed this in other brides, as well, when they are looking at my portfolio in meetings. As she's thumbing through my books, bride'll say to her mom, "Oh, look at those shoes", "Oh, look at that dress". I'll think to myself, "You're not supposed to be looking at that".

Feb 16, 2013 at 03:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

joshmitchell

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Bridezilla -- Did I handle right?

Sure - other wedding got canceled. Happens all the time. However personally I would say that I am "no longer available for your date." I've read stories about photographers being sued for discrimination when they turned a wedding down for personality reasons. Saying you are no longer available is the easiest way to avoid booking someone you do not want to work with. It's not their business why you are no longer available, and you aren't obligated to tell them why either. Could be a family event - heck it could be anything, you haven't signed a contract or taken money and it's not their business. But if you tell them you aren't booking them because they aren't a good fit, it opens the door to speculation as to why they aren't a good fit. Is it skin color, religious affiliation, socio-economic classes, etc etc.

Feb 20, 2013 at 08:23 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Bridezilla -- Did I handle right?

D. Diggler wrote:
To be fair, I have noticed this in other brides, as well, when they are looking at my portfolio in meetings. As she's thumbing through my books, bride'll say to her mom, "Oh, look at those shoes", "Oh, look at that dress". I'll think to myself, "You're not supposed to be looking at that".

I guess you have never shown your book to an art buyer at an ad agency, talk about off the wall comments....

Feb 20, 2013 at 08:52 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Bridezilla -- Did I handle right?

friscoron wrote:
Do you kiss and tell, or take the high road, knowing this bride is going for a bad ride?

I'd hint it might be a good idea to speak to some of that photographer's recent clients.

By the way, when a meeting's rough like that... it's them having control over the meeting. Then you need to stem them going off into tangents and if you can't, then you need to end the meeting. They're mis-using your time and your time is valuable. You're not there to hear her focused on the drapes. Imagine going to a doctor and while the doctor's telling you his prognosis, you tell him you can't concentrate on that because you're so put off by his drapes. He may tell you you need to pay attention. He may try to draw you back in to the conversation. But if you remain off course, he'll have you leave and reschedule with the front desk for another time when you can focus because you're essentially wasting his time.

Feb 21, 2013 at 04:19 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Bridezilla -- Did I handle right?

This sounds like a nightmare client. I'd run far, far in the other direction.

Feb 22, 2013 at 05:18 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password