Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       8       9       10       end

Archive 2013 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Geoff D F

Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

So... Are you going to buy a 6D?

Probably not, at least not until its price drops to around $1500 by which time a replacement may well be on the cards anyway. If it had the feature set of the D600 I would have bought one on day one. I just can't see enough of an improvement in features over my 5Dc to justify shelling out $2000.

I did spend about $3.5 k last year on an OMD and M4/3 lenses - money I would have happily sent Canon's way if I thought they had good offerings. And I have been very happy with my M4/3 set, something I can't say about my Canon purchases, which always seem to have frustratingly needless limitations.

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Geoff D F

p.7 #2 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

I think the point being made is who are these people who are such amateurs they know nothing about flashes or lenses but somehow know about the benefits of full frame vs. crop sensors and would willing pay $2000 for something they know nothing about?

I'll say it again. I consider myself part of the target market for the 6D. I own two speedlites and know how to use them. For me lack of pup-up flash is a major negative. The pop-up is perfect for a bit of daylight fill when I don't want to carry a speedlight, which is most of the time and it could have been used as a controller as per the 7D. I doubt I will be buying a 6D. I probably would have if it had a pop-up and perhaps the AF of the 60D (all cross type).

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #3 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Geoff D F wrote:
I'll say it again. I consider myself part of the target market for the 6D. I own two speedlites and know how to use them. For me lack of pup-up flash is a major negative. The pop-up is perfect for a bit of daylight fill when I don't want to carry a speedlight, which is most of the time and it could have been used as a controller as per the 7D. I doubt I will be buying a 6D. I probably would have if it had a pop-up and perhaps the AF of the 60D (all cross
...Show more

I found the 270 Ex II is so small as not to make a noticeable difference to weight and is vastly better than the pop-up. 6D + 270 II has same weight as 5D III. Alas without the pop-up flash you get no flash controller built-in, which is the biggest negative.

Feb 15, 2013 at 01:20 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.7 #4 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

zlatko wrote:
So I don't think the 6D is at all bad with 11 AF points only one of which is cross type.

As long as you like the dangerous focus and recompose method with ultrafast glass, 1 good point is fine.

Feb 15, 2013 at 01:22 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.7 #5 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Pixel Perfect wrote:
As long as you like the dangerous focus and recompose method with ultrafast glass, 1 good point is fine.

Pixel, you are a fan of both the 5D3 and the 100-400. How are the outer (linear) points in the 5D3 with the 100-400? Ever tried them or are you essentially one point (center group) with that lens on that camera?

Feb 15, 2013 at 01:31 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.7 #6 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Geoff D F wrote:
I did spend about $3.5 k last year on an OMD and M4/3 lenses - money I would have happily sent Canon's way if I thought they had good offerings. And I have been very happy with my M4/3 set, something I can't say about my Canon purchases, which always seem to have frustratingly needless limitations.

When I was reading DPR's 6D review I setup their "raw compare" window with the 6D and 5D3, 5D2, and G1X - 3 bodies I own. For the life of me I couldn't tell much noise/resolution difference between them at ISOs of 1600 and below. Even the shadowed fuzzy balls looked pretty equivalent to me. I know there is a bit more head room with the 6D, but real world? The G1X has become my 2nd body when I have the 100-400 on the 5D3. When the 5D3 does f8 my transition will be complete, no 7D! Let me say though that I think that the 6D is probably all the camera anyone needs and the rest of us are just dilettantes.

Feb 15, 2013 at 01:42 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.7 #7 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Geoff D F wrote:

Then, it only means m43 offerings are more suitable for your style of shooting. Nothing wrong with that. I have both OMD and 6D. While the OMD is a pleasure to use, I will never use it for my landscape shots. I simply hate looking through the EVF for landscape composition. Others have similar experience for wildlife shots. Just a matter of preference.

Feb 15, 2013 at 02:20 AM
Geoff D F

p.7 #8 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Then, it only means m43 offerings are more suitable for your style of shooting.

No I have a 60D and a 5Dc too, which I use regularly. What bugs me with Canon is that 8 years after the original 5D they haven't given me a sufficient enough reason to upgrade my 5D, and where the original 5D was a world beater they have now fallen well behind the competition in their offerings - seemingly by choice.

Sure the 6D high ISO will be better, but its overall feature set is not much different to the orginal 5D, that is, as far as the things I value.

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:05 AM
danb121
• •
p.7 #9 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

For all those who are moaning about the lack of a pop of flash in the 6D did you moan about the 1 series and 5 series not having a pop up flash? Get real is anyone spending that sort of money on a camera going to ruin photos by using a very limited pop up flash?

I was the target audience for a 6D (until I brought one) because I had a ***D series camera… do I miss the pop up flash… no!

The 6D is a lovely camera and it's users are more than happy with thier purchase

Feb 15, 2013 at 07:52 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.7 #10 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Geoff D F wrote:
No I have a 60D and a 5Dc too, which I use regularly. What bugs me with Canon is that 8 years after the original 5D they haven't given me a sufficient enough reason to upgrade my 5D, and where the original 5D was a world beater they have now fallen well behind the competition in their offerings - seemingly by choice.

Sure the 6D high ISO will be better, but its overall feature set is not much different to the orginal 5D, that is, as far as the things I value.

Personal needs, Geoff. 5D still gives you enough of what you need, I guess.

5D did not give me a reason to upgrade from my 50D. 5D II did.
5D III does not give me a reason to upgrade from 5D II. 6D does.
For me the 6D is the expected follower for my 5D II, too. It keeps all I needed and adds on, what I wished enhanced (plus some nice things, minus the joystick ). Once I went FF I could not step back. So now I have the choice between D600, 6D, D800 and 5D III,1D X and D4.
Looks like a great range of cameras to choose from (Sony still is not mine, Pentax never was, too). D600 and 6D fits most what I NEED and best what I can afford. Except D4 I got all cameras in my hands and the choice was easy. 6D felt most comfortable of all those cameras to me.

Ralph

Feb 15, 2013 at 08:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dhphoto
• • • • •
p.7 #11 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Geoff D F wrote:
What bugs me with Canon is that 8 years after the original 5D they haven't given me a sufficient enough reason to upgrade my 5D, and where the original 5D was a world beater they have now fallen well behind the competition in their offerings - seemingly by choice.

Have you tried a 5D3 Geoff?

I still have a 5D and a 5D2 but believe me the 5D3 is worth the upgrade, it is a phenomenally good camera and miles and miles ahead of the 5D

Feb 15, 2013 at 08:29 AM
Cadaver
• •
p.7 #12 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

It all comes down to your wants and needs. To consider the 6D, I was looking for 3 things... Impressive noise performance at high ISOs, excellent image quality and the AF microadjustment feature. From what the reviews say, it looks like I hit the Trifecta.

Feb 15, 2013 at 01:04 PM
Shield
• • •
p.7 #13 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Back to the DPreview.

From a video shooter's perspective, I find the following kind of odd:
Comparing the 3 cameras based on their video alone, the Sony a99, the Canon 6D and the 5DIII (I currently own the 5dIII and used to own the Sony a99), it seems as if DPR is very critical of the Canons and almost apologetic for the Sony a99.
First of all, the Sony a99 video is very soft, lacks detail, has a very low bitrate, crazy moire and aliasing issues, and the softness doesn't get any better even with grading.

If you look at the 6D video page, there are extensive tests on the moire issues.

If you look at the 5DIII video page, there is an extra page from EOSHD that complains about the "not true 1080p" video image, no mention of how much the video sharpens up in post (ask Philip Bloom about this). Andrew Reid is a famous GH2 / BlackMagic supporter and very harsh on the 5DIII's video.

If you look at the Sony a99 video page, they do ZERO moire tests and pretty much hype up the full HDMI output and barely touch on how poor the video IQ is - almost like they are completely sponsored by Sony.

The a99 got a higher overall rating than either Canon 5DIII or 6D, even though:
The A99 video has much lower detail, blows out highlights, has worse moire and aliasing than either Canon in video mode. For stills, it's much worse (nosier) at higher ISO than either Canon. Has the SLT mirror that robs 1/3EV to 1/2EV of light. Has all the AF points crammed only in the center of the frame. Has a paltry buffer than only does 6 fps for about 2 seconds. Has flash sync issues at 1/250. Far, far fewer lens selections and a camera body that is likely to leak from the memory card door and battery compartment when wet. Also the shoe was changed for the a99 and all the Sony/Minolta flashes no longer work without the clunky adapter save one.

Bottom line - who cares what DPR has to say? They should stick to point and shoot camera reviews.

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:14 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.7 #14 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

Shield wrote:
Back to the DPreview.

From a video shooter's perspective, I find the following kind of odd:
Comparing the 3 cameras based on their video alone, the Sony a99, the Canon 6D and the 5DIII (I currently own the 5dIII and used to own the Sony a99), it seems as if DPR is very critical of the Canons and almost apologetic for the Sony a99.
First of all, the Sony a99 video is very soft, lacks detail, has a very low bitrate, crazy moire and aliasing issues, and the softness doesn't get any better even with grading.

If you look at the 6D video page,
...Show more

You know what...for someone who does not care what DPR says about DSLR's you spent one hell of a lot of time on that site reviewing what they say about DSLR's.

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:19 AM
timpdx
• • •
p.7 #15 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

My 6D just arrived at work and there is not a cat in sight.

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:26 AM
outlawyer
• • •
p.7 #16 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

DPR's Canon sample images are comically awful, all appearing to have been made by an un-calibrated 3mp P&S, whether taken with a recent 1 series or an un-calibrated 3mp P&S.

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:35 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.7 #17 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

timpdx wrote:
My 6D just arrived at work and there is not a cat in sight.

There must be at least a brick wall. After all, the 6d AF sucks and you'll probably get blurry pictures of fast moving cats.

Feb 16, 2013 at 01:03 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.7 #18 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

outlawyer wrote:
DPR's Canon sample images are comically awful, all appearing to have been made by an un-calibrated 3mp P&S, whether taken with a recent 1 series or an un-calibrated 3mp P&S.

Yep...huge conspiracy against Canon going on.

Feb 16, 2013 at 01:04 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.7 #19 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

chez wrote:
You know what...for someone who does not care what DPR says about DSLR's you spent one hell of a lot of time on that site reviewing what they say about DSLR's.

For someone who spends a lot of time slamming Canon products, you clearly endorse any review that does the same.

Feb 16, 2013 at 01:30 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.7 #20 · DP Review's 6D Review Is Up

chez wrote:
Yep...huge conspiracy against Canon going on.

Indeed. We should all join your crusade against Canon.

Feb 16, 2013 at 01:31 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password