Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

ben egbert wrote:
I will probably never do anything with video, I am clueless about how to process, store or display it and have no real desire for it. How do you print a video

It's pretty amazing and for some things it simply fits better than stills. Be careful though, lest you get hopelessly sucked in too deep!

Feb 14, 2013 at 01:26 AM
Shhboom

p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

Count me in as old school with arthritis challenges, but there is nothing like the feel of the 1D camera body while pursuing photography for personal satisfaction. I have tried the 5D mark ll and quickly sold the camera and secured a Mark lllDS to accompany my wonderful Mark lll. Love the ability to share batteries and menu similarities...simple is good at this age and the faster I can define and establish a comfort zone the more I enjoy capturing photo opportunities whether they be studio or field defined.

Feb 14, 2013 at 03:34 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

skibum5 wrote:
It's pretty amazing and for some things it simply fits better than stills. Be careful though, lest you get hopelessly sucked in too deep!

I read the video chapter last night and could not figure it out. I did what it said but heard no shutter and when finished saw no file or playback option. Not sure I am interested enough to wade though it.

Feb 14, 2013 at 04:46 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

Shhboom wrote:
Count me in as old school with arthritis challenges, but there is nothing like the feel of the 1D camera body while pursuing photography for personal satisfaction. I have tried the 5D mark ll and quickly sold the camera and secured a Mark lllDS to accompany my wonderful Mark lll. Love the ability to share batteries and menu similarities...simple is good at this age and the faster I can define and establish a comfort zone the more I enjoy capturing photo opportunities whether they be studio or field defined.

But now that menu is shared between 1Dx and the 5D III

Feb 14, 2013 at 04:52 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

Mixed emotions on menus. I really like the Q button thingy on the 5D3, seeing the main choices on the LCD is great. I am still pushing the wrong button for enlarging the image on the LCD, but will eventually get used to it. I think I may eventually prefer the 5D3 method of engaging AEF and for sure prefer the c1,2,3 options over selecting files stored in mymenu.

But I really hate the uncertainty about which card is active. I may start leaving one card out so I know which is active. It was always the SD card on the 1DS3. Multiple cards was never of much interest to me anyway.

I do need to understand how the multiple exposure option works. It appears like it could make an HDR raw but I have not figured it out yet.

Feb 14, 2013 at 05:15 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

ben egbert wrote:
I do need to understand how the multiple exposure option works. It appears like it could make an HDR raw but I have not figured it out yet.

There is a video tutorial on this works for the 1DX, with the menus being similar it should be the same for the 5DIII.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1119114

Feb 14, 2013 at 05:19 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

Sunny Sra wrote:
There is a video tutorial on this works for the 1DX, with the menus being similar it should be the same for the 5DIII.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1119114

Thanks for the link, I will watch them for sure but probably still read the manual with camera in hand.

Edit, watched the multiple exposure video. I was thinking HDR and it may be possible but it is more like film days with multiple images stacked into one. Great clear and quick presentation. I want to watch the rest. Be sure to click on the arrows, there are more videos than first meets the eye.

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:04 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

ben egbert wrote:
Mixed emotions on menus. I really like the Q button thingy on the 5D3, seeing the main choices on the LCD is great. I am still pushing the wrong button for enlarging the image on the LCD, but will eventually get used to it. I think I may eventually prefer the 5D3 method of engaging AEF and for sure prefer the c1,2,3 options over selecting files stored in mymenu.

But I really hate the uncertainty about which card is active. I may start leaving one card out so I know which is active. It was always the SD card on
...Show more

You can program SET to instantly jump to 100% view and back, ULTRA handy.

Feb 14, 2013 at 08:39 PM
Keith Broad
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

ben egbert wrote:

I have small hands, and am getting too old to haul a monster around. I sold most of my primes and have a smaller lightweight system now. Just need to replace my heavy aluminum tripod with a carbon model.

I too, have been struggling with poor health and a heavy 1DsIII system. My biggest issue is the gear I take when I travel. My solution? I bought a 6D and will take some core lenses: 50mm (not sure about f1.8 or f1.2), 85mm f1.8, 17TSE, 24-105 (maybe), possibly the 135 f2 and a CF tripod.

I should have noted that I'm keeping the 1Ds for when i'm at home.

Feb 15, 2013 at 08:42 AM
presb4

p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

skibum5 wrote:
5D3's doesn't work. Doesn't allow EC in AutoISO M and the max min shutter speeds they lock you into in Av mode, for zero technical reason, are a joke.

Maybe I was wrong about what the 1Ds3 can do in terms of something like AutoISO. I thought you could set aperture and min shutter speed and then it would adjust ISO if needed while still using EC or something like that. Maybe you need 1D4 to get it working.

OK, so I have been reading along in the thread and was until tonight just about to pull the trigger on buying a used 1Ds MK3 but then I read about the "No Auto ISO" on the 1Ds3 and my head sunk.

Really! well that little missing ability really kills it for me as I use Auto ISO all the time when shooting Motorsports. But what I'm really not understanding is what the problem is with the 5D3's Auto ISO. It must have the same standard Auto ISO that's found on my 7D or does it not? javascript:void(0);

Feb 17, 2013 at 06:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

The 5D3 auto ISO is better than the 7D in that you can set a minimum ISO and minimum shutter speed (up to 1/250) in addition to maximum ISO. The complaint is that in manual mode you can't adjust exposure compensation, but does any camera allow this? Minimum shutter speed is nice, could be faster, but having been given that it makes me want minimum aperture as well to prevent lenses from going wide open Tv mode. Not complaining, just greedy.

Feb 17, 2013 at 06:45 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

presb4 wrote:
OK, so I have been reading along in the thread and was until tonight just about to pull the trigger on buying a used 1Ds MK3 but then I read about the "No Auto ISO" on the 1Ds3 and my head sunk.

Really! well that little missing ability really kills it for me as I use Auto ISO all the time when shooting Motorsports. But what I'm really not understanding is what the problem is with the 5D3's Auto ISO. It must have the same standard Auto ISO that's found on my 7D or does it not? javascript:void(0);

The problem is that it doesn't let you use EC with AutoISO in M mode and in Av mode it drops the shutter ridiculously low. Marketing purposely had them lock the settings can allow for the min shutter speed to only slow and largely useless shutter speeds, which is absurd since other brands give fully working autoiso even on lowest end gear and have done for ages, they could fix it like literally changing perhaps as little as 4 bytes of code and at worse by adding 10 numbers to a list.

So either you use it in M mode and hope you don't need EC or use it in Av mode and get blurred photos.

It's beyond ridiculous that they have now spent an entire decade slowly dribbling working autoiso out one tiny little bit by bit. Come on it's autoiso it's not the king's ransom!

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:07 PM
presb4

p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

Thanks guys for the quick response. I understand now what the gripes are about.

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:07 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

For me I only use Auto ISO in Tv mode, so at least I can have EC available and I clearly set the shutter speed to avoid camera shake. It's a pretty good alternative, but no excuse for them screwing up M mode and not offering better options for the minimum shutter speed like Nikon D800 does, where you can set 1/FL, up to 1/4*FL IIRC.

Feb 18, 2013 at 05:23 AM
Daniel Smith
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

In images with ISO settings up to 800, any real advantage to the 6D?

What differences would I notice at 3200 between the 1DS MkIII and the 6D or the 5D MkIII at that iSO?

Jan 18, 2014 at 04:29 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

skibum5 wrote:
5D3 has 6fps, 1Ds3 does not

1Ds3 has voice memos, 5D3 does not

1Ds3 might have workable AutoISO, 5D3 does not

5D3 has instant jump to 100% view (so convenient and saves a lot of time)

5D3 has much nicer UI (IMO anyway)

5D3 isn't a damn brick , 1Ds3 is

1Ds3 has replacement viewfinder screens, 5D3 doesn't

1Ds3 has less banding junk and a bit less read noise at ISO100-200 (but the DR is already worse by ISO800 and probably even ISO400 on the 1Ds3, noticeably so by ISO1600-3200)

1Ds3 is less color-blind under natural lighting (hard to say how much and in what ways and when
...Show more

great summary & I agree with almost all of that.. i think overall the 5D3 obviously has a few huge advantages in technology & features, but microcontrast/tones always seemed more natural to me at ISO100 on the 1Ds3 than on the 5D3, which is why i was never sold on the 5D3 body..

my sense was always that the 1Ds3 produced more "pure" images than the slightly more plastic looking images of the 5D3.. i'm not smart enough to talk about why that might be the case, just an observation from this photographer.

Jan 18, 2014 at 05:04 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

Daniel Smith wrote:
In images with ISO settings up to 800, any real advantage to the 6D?

What differences would I notice at 3200 between the 1DS MkIII and the 6D or the 5D MkIII at that iSO?

You'd notice that the 1Ds3, brilliant though it is, is pretty hopeless at high ISO compared to the newer cameras.

For High ISO 6D>5D3>>1Ds3

Jan 18, 2014 at 08:16 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

dhphoto wrote:
You'd notice that the 1Ds3, brilliant though it is, is pretty hopeless at high ISO compared to the newer cameras.

For High ISO 6D>5D3>>1Ds3

I don't have a 5D3, but I've been looking at comparisons on the web and that is not what I'm seeing. It looks like the 5D3 is a wee better than the 1Ds3, but not much better.

Jan 19, 2014 at 02:17 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

The 1DX and 6D are substantially better than the 1DsIII at high ISO. I figure at least two stops.

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:35 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

jcolwell wrote:
The 1DX and 6D are substantially better than the 1DsIII at high ISO. I figure at least two stops.

Yes, I try not to take my 1Ds3 over 800ISO, over that even with decent noise removal it looks muddy to me. But then it's 2007 tech and still very good at low ISO

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:46 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password