FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

Tom Dix wrote:
Hope you enjoy your new camera. I'm truly enjoying mine, however, no plans on selling my 1ds3. I'm very used to switching between 1 series and 5 series and enjoy the attributes of both.
Happy shooting and looking forward to seeing images with your 5d3.

I sold my 500 f4 to be able to do some upgrading. I also sold a bunch of primes, I have to keep it dollar neutral and I am hoping to keep my stash big enough to get the real upgrade whenever it happens to 40+mp.

I only do one type of photography so one camera is sufficient.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:46 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

StillFingerz wrote:
Ben, your website is bookmarked and I read it often; look over your images, there is a ton of stellar info to digest, I've recently discovered gDan's site as well as others. All your images are truly inspiring, you shoot in places I'll never visit and I am grateful for you putting your private art online for all to enjoy.

I've just begun printing, there's so much to learn, it's another journey to enjoy and your insights are greatly valued...

Jerry

I really appreciate that Jerry. I wish I were as good as you think.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:47 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

skibum5 wrote:
5D3 has 6fps, 1Ds3 does not

1Ds3 has voice memos, 5D3 does not

1Ds3 might have workable AutoISO, 5D3 does not

5D3 has instant jump to 100% view (so convenient and saves a lot of time)

5D3 has much nicer UI (IMO anyway)

5D3 isn't a damn brick , 1Ds3 is

1Ds3 has replacement viewfinder screens, 5D3 doesn't

1Ds3 has less banding junk and a bit less read noise at ISO100-200 (but the DR is already worse by ISO800 and probably even ISO400 on the 1Ds3, noticeably so by ISO1600-3200)

1Ds3 is less color-blind under natural lighting (hard to say how much and in what ways and when
...Show more

I played with auto iso on the 1ds3 when I first got it 5 years ago. It would have been useful for BIF, but I never liked the way it was implemented. I don't even recall now why. Had something to do with what part I could keep constant. I wanted to keep the shutter speed high as I recall.

I also played with highlight priority and never liked that either. The 1DS3 buffer was too small for sure, I missed many fish pick ups when it filled too soon. The burst was fine however and I thought the AF was fine. It was a competent BIF camera.

But I had a 50d which had more buffer and faster burst and higher pixel density. But battery life in cold weather was horrible and in the end, the better high ISO, and better af of the 1DS3 trumped pixel density. I ended up using the 1DS3 for birds.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:15 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

ben egbert wrote:
I played with auto iso on the 1ds3 when I first got it 5 years ago.

There is no 'auto ISO' on the 1Ds3, just an option to let the camera decide between 100 and 1600 ISO in some modes if the camera can't expose properly otherwise. Or have I missed something?

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:18 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

dhphoto wrote:
There is no 'auto ISO' on the 1Ds3, just an option to let the camera decide between 100 and 1600 ISO in some modes if the camera can't expose properly otherwise. Or have I missed something?

Yep, that was what we called auto iso (the camera automatically changed ISO for specific cases) 5 years ago. Maybe it has a more confining definition these days.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:21 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

It's not was I called auto ISO 5 years ago.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:27 AM
M Lucca
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

the 5d3 Auto ISO smarter. It allows one to select min. Tv. Although the ultimate goal would be to dial in Tv as opposed to presets. FW 2.0?

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:07 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

Well my preferred auto ISO would be to set shutter speed, aperture and a EV level and let the camera adjust the ISO to obtain it.

But I really don't need it now that I am not doing bird photography so I have spaced it out.

When I am doing night stuff, it is very deliberate and finding the ideal exposure is part of the fun. I want full control.

By the way. This thread has me thinking about features I want to try.

If I ever get the light, I will take identical shots of my McBeth with the 1DS and 5D3 and post them for color comparison.

I will try the HDR.

I will try silent shutter.

I will probably never do anything with video, I am clueless about how to process, store or display it and have no real desire for it. How do you print a video

I may try an ISO 3200 if I can find a scene dark enough to justify it. I did a whole series of moonlight shots with a loaner 5d3 and posted it at the PP forum a few weeks back.

If you can think of other features I need to try, I would love to hear them.

A link to my moonlit test with a CPS loaner 5d3.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1185998/1#11316791

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:22 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

If you are not seeing significant AF improvements you might want to try some of the AF settings. Once you select the appropriate settings via the presets or manual the 5DMK3 and 1DX are amazingly accurate in focusing.

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:51 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

jerrykur wrote:
If you are not seeing significant AF improvements you might want to try some of the AF settings. Once you select the appropriate settings via the presets or manual the 5DMK3 and 1DX are amazingly accurate in focusing.

The problem is I am not doing action and no longer own a 500f4. If the 5D3 is better, I have no way to test it. The 1DSm3 was very good in that regard anyway.

When I was doing FoCal micoradjust, I got similar AF repeatability with the lenses being the limiting factor. I usually got 98% with both cameras with the lowest scores for the 16-35.

The 5D3 did work with lower light however, I needed 10EV for the 1ds3 and got by with 6.3 EV for the 5D3.

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:57 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

Using HDR. I think I will use HDR instead of bracket. By the way, the same button at the upper left is used for exposure bracket and HDR. I probably will never use the jpg, but it provides a good preview of the combined bracketed raws for later blending. It gives you raw bracket shots if you save all images.

Be sure to turn off align image if on a tripod (you would do this without a tripod?) I forgot this the first time and one image was way different (smaller) probably because it focused differently.

Edit.

Correction, the third option is not bracketed shots, but multiple shots associated with merging. I guess AEF is still a separate function. I am still reading.

I wish I could save the HDR settings to one of the C settings but so far that eludes me. Or since it is easy to just access HDR, it would be nice to change the defaults. I have at least three settings to adjust for my style.

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:44 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

Here you color guys go. This is shot in the same light, ISO100 converted in ACR neutral with all settings off.

I see minor differences, but it probably does not matter once I apply my custom profile. I would like to hear what you color aware folks think.

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:30 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

Ben, on my laptop I see the following...very subtle differences

1Ds3
- more contrast/saturation, slightly smoother colors, a bit sharper edges, a little more depth/3Dish

5D3
- less contrast/saturation, slightly pastel colors, gray edging around each color a bit more pronounced, image is flatter

I'd guess any differences could be easily managed in PP...
These kind of color/image comparisons are realy quite helpful, thanks.
Jerry

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:45 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

On my calibrated display I'd say the 5D3 looks about 1/3rd of a stop lighter in exposure, beyond that they are very similar

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:00 PM
ronno
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

Lars Johnsson wrote:
The Viewfinder, the viewfinder blackout time and shutter lag is also better on the 1Ds3

Would someone post what these timings are for each of these cameras?

Also, I am wondering how the silent mode (5D3) effects shutter lag.

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:21 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

StillFingerz wrote:
Ben, on my laptop I see the following...very subtle differences

1Ds3
- more contrast/saturation, slightly smoother colors, a bit sharper edges, a little more depth/3Dish

5D3
- less contrast/saturation, slightly pastel colors, gray edging around each color a bit more pronounced, image is flatter

I'd guess any differences could be easily managed in PP...
These kind of color/image comparisons are realy quite helpful, thanks.
Jerry

The af was off a bit on the 5d3.

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:40 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

dhphoto wrote:
On my calibrated display I'd say the 5D3 looks about 1/3rd of a stop lighter in exposure, beyond that they are very similar

The exposure was slightly different and I made a slight correction on the 5d3 to fix it. It was slight blown in the whites.

I would redo it but the 10 minutes of sun for this winter is over.

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:42 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

dhphoto wrote:
Yes I know of that but compared to the 5D3's completely customisable ISO the 1Ds3 is out of the Ark

5D3's doesn't work. Doesn't allow EC in AutoISO M and the max min shutter speeds they lock you into in Av mode, for zero technical reason, are a joke.

Maybe I was wrong about what the 1Ds3 can do in terms of something like AutoISO. I thought you could set aperture and min shutter speed and then it would adjust ISO if needed while still using EC or something like that. Maybe you need 1D4 to get it working.

Feb 13, 2013 at 08:20 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

dhphoto wrote:

OK, I was wrong then. A few years ago I was complaing that it was absurd that Canon had no body that did autoiso and then a couple people got all over me and started telling me how the 1 series does it perfectly and maybe I need to spend more if I expect something so amazing as autoiso . I guess they were wrong.

Feb 13, 2013 at 08:22 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 1DS-mk3 vs 5d-mkIII

M Lucca wrote:
the 5d3 Auto ISO smarter. It allows one to select min. Tv. Although the ultimate goal would be to dial in Tv as opposed to presets. FW 2.0?

Yeah up to a useless shutter speed. Marketing crippled it. AutoISO is most useful when you don't have time to set stuff yourself, i.e. action, and for action you usually need fast shutter speeds and yet they locked out all the fast shutter speeds for the minimum setting!

Feb 13, 2013 at 08:25 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.