Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · 1D mk 4 IV or mk 3 III?

Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · 1D mk 4 IV or mk 3 III?

+1 on the 1DIV. I've seen prices on B&S that make me want to cry.... (good prices; they've come down a lot since I bought mine used...)

Feb 13, 2013 at 05:53 PM
Photorph

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · 1D mk 4 IV or mk 3 III?

My local camera shop has a MINT 1d iv with less than 10,000 actuations for 3k even. I'd check that out. Procam in Michigan.

If you don't need the speed or the buffer, consider the 5d Mark III. AF is the best out there, and 6 fps isn't slow specially when all those frames are in focus. You do loose some focal legth, But the better image quality over the 1d iv makes up for that loss. I've seen like new mark iiis sell for 2600 ish.

Feb 13, 2013 at 07:02 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.2 #3 · 1D mk 4 IV or mk 3 III?

ashley138 wrote:
I've always shot with 1.6 crops and I don't think there's any way I'd want to deal with the loss of length on a full frame. The 1.3 crops more than make up for the small loss of the crop with accuracy and high res. I'm definitely set on the 1.3 crop.

Oh man, this is a hard decision. I continue to vacillate on this, hopefully soon I'll make up my mind.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

But compared to 1DIII, you will not be loosing anything at all, in fact gaining resolution. 10MP @ 1.3 crop factor = 16.9MP @ FF. WIth 5DIII's 23 MP, you are smack in the middle of 1D4 and 1D3's 'effective' reach, with great AF, high ISO to boot.

Feb 13, 2013 at 07:41 PM
big country
• • • •
p.2 #4 · 1D mk 4 IV or mk 3 III?

ashley, i would look at the 5d iii as well. i just sold two 1d iv's and we are moving to all 1dx's and 5d iii's.

5d iii price is very close to 1d iv.

5d iii is a heck of the camera. don't look at the crop as a huge advantage. also in april canon will be releasing firmware update to allow f/8 AF w/ the 5d iii so you can use your 2x w/ your 500 f/4 and have af.

between the two 1d's, i would go for the 1d iv, it's just a better camera in every way.

Feb 13, 2013 at 08:20 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · 1D mk 4 IV or mk 3 III?

Now that the 1D X can do Af at f/8 I'm a little more inclined to swap my 1D IV, even though I said I wouldn't. But the 5D III is a fantastic camera and if it had already been announced when I was buying my 1D IV I might not have bothered with the 1D IV, although it is still a great camera and I do make use of the high frame rate. 5D III has better AF and is more customisable and the ability to change AF on the fly with the MFn button as with the 7D is a great feature. Still can't believe they didn't do that on the 1D IV which came out after the 7D.

Feb 14, 2013 at 02:36 AM
ashley138
• • • •
p.2 #6 · 1D mk 4 IV or mk 3 III?

So people think the 5D III has better IQ and AF than the 1D mkIV?
Really, seriously?
I guess I wouldn't expect that.

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:09 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · 1D mk 4 IV or mk 3 III?

ashley138 wrote:
Really, seriously?

Why not? It is the way cameras evolve. Newer xD models become better than older 1D models.

If a 7D2 with the same AF capability as a 5D3 becomes an actual reality, you may be kicking yourself later for buying a 1D3 or 1D4.

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:15 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · 1D mk 4 IV or mk 3 III?

ashley138 wrote:
Really, seriously?

So much for expectations.

It's not fiction. I have a 1DX and a 1DIV.

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ashley138
• • • •
p.2 #9 · 1D mk 4 IV or mk 3 III?

Imagemaster wrote:
Why not? It is the way cameras evolve. Newer xD models become better than older 1D models.

If a 7D2 with the same AF capability as a 5D3 becomes an actual reality, you may be kicking yourself later for buying a 1D3 or 1D4.

That makes sense, I guess I just have this view of 1D bodies always being better than the rest, but you've got a point. I'd love a 1DX, I can tell just by the images people are posting from that camera that it's incredible, but it's waaaay too pricey for me.

I suppose that's true about the 7D2 but I probably wouldn't buy the 7D2 right away anyways. I don't ever buy anything when it first comes out (due to pricing). So maybe I'll get a 1D4, and keep my 7D and later when the 7D2 comes out, I'll sell my 7D and upgrade to that

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:37 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · 1D mk 4 IV or mk 3 III?

ashley138 wrote:
Really, seriously?

Why hard to believe. Newer FF sensor, with better noise, same AF as 1D X in most regards and even if you have to crop, the 5D III is only a few MP behind the 1D IV, so you aren't giving up much reach and IQ is still high. The 1D IV still has key advantages but for the most part you can live without them. If the 5D III had of done 8fps, I'd see almost no point in keeping the 1D IV other than if you give your camera a beating and need the build.

Feb 14, 2013 at 07:01 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · 1D mk 4 IV or mk 3 III?

ashley138 wrote:
That makes sense, I guess I just have this view of 1D bodies always being better than the rest, but you've got a point. I'd love a 1DX, I can tell just by the images people are posting from that camera that it's incredible, but it's waaaay too pricey for me.

I suppose that's true about the 7D2 but I probably wouldn't buy the 7D2 right away anyways. I don't ever buy anything when it first comes out (due to pricing). So maybe I'll get a 1D4, and keep my 7D and later when the 7D2 comes out, I'll sell my
...Show more

Want to experience 90% of the 1D X for half the price, get the 5D III and keep your 7D if you reed the reach.

Feb 14, 2013 at 07:03 AM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.2 #12 · 1D mk 4 IV or mk 3 III?

I have a 7D, 1d3, 1d4& 5d3.... IMHO, the 7d does isn't in the same league as a 1d3 much less a 1d4... Drink the 1D koolaid, you'll see.... Files are nicer to work with, snappier feel, better build quality... I could go on... Between a 5d3 & a 1d4, closer call.... High ISO, 5d3, for me 1d4 gets the call most of the time for my sports stuff over the 5d3(which I like alot).

Not to stray, 1d4 is better than a 1d3... but twice as good? Hmmm tough call.

Feb 14, 2013 at 07:11 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · 1D mk 4 IV or mk 3 III?

I owned a 1D3 & 1D4, and now have a 7D & 5D3. I found the 7D to be a better camera for me than the 1D3. And for twice the price, I certainly did not think the 1D4 was twice as good as a 7D. Don't miss the 1D4 one bit, and find images from both the 7D and 5D3 as good as those from a 1D4.

Easy call, keep your 7D and get a 5D3.

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:39 PM
reko
• • • •
p.2 #14 · 1D mk 4 IV or mk 3 III?

I"ve got both, the MKIII is my backup body now. I'm primarily a wildlife photographer and the only substantial difference for me has been the ability to crop more on bird photography with more megapixels with the MKIV. If money doesn't matter get the MKIV, otherwise I'm sure you'll be happy with the MKIII.

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:45 PM
ComicDom1
• •
p.2 #15 · 1D mk 4 IV or mk 3 III?

I think it all depends on what you are going to do with the camera. 1DX has 2 Digic 5+ chips and the 5D III has one. The 1D IV is using the previous generation Digic 4. 45 focus points in 1DIV vs 61 in 5DIII and 1DX. 39 Cross hair sensors in 1DIV 19 Cross hair sensors in 1DIII. 41 cross hair sensors in the 5DIII and 1DX.

Add the price of a Grip to the 5DIII if you are comparing the body to the 1DIV

Quick price check at B&H for grip $275 and that does not include a battery.

Personally I am still investigating if the 5DIII tracks better than the 1DVI.

Since I like the build of the 1DIV with the grip I chose to buy that camera over the 1DMKIII(a great value at current prices) and the 5DIII which is also a great camera.

In my research, I have read a comment that the servo motor in the 5DII is slower that the 1D IV when using a super telephoto.

Jason

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:47 AM
kezeka
• • •
p.2 #16 · 1D mk 4 IV or mk 3 III?

I picked up a 1D3 for a reasonable price second hand here on FM and am in love with it. Glad I spent the extra money over the 1D2-n. Definitely didn't have $3000 to drop on a backup/sports body so the 1DIV wasn't even an option. Haven't had any of the AF problems that plagued the early bodies (I can't remember but I believe the body I bought was later in the production run and shipped with the fix). It isn't as good in the upper stratospheres of the ISO range but it still handles admirably at 6400 (H1). Coloration is better than a 5D2 at lower ISOs and obviously the focusing system is fantastic (thats all I have to compare it to).

I doubt you will be disappointed with either, but the 1D3 has depreciated so far now that you really wont lose too much on it should you decide to sell in the future.

Feb 16, 2013 at 07:48 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password