Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2013 · External hard drive advice for windows vista

Bifurcator
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · External hard drive advice for windows vista

You can install Win7 or 8 on RAID and boot from it NP. Search for the steps to do it.
You likely won't feel the difference tho. Most of your OS loads in at between 20 and 150MB/s given the fastest I/O/Seek possible, and the lion's stare at the lower end. Why SSD is so much faster is cus the HDDs only do about 512KB/s to 2MB/s at that same lower end (which is caused by thousands or small file R/W/Seeks). But the higher throughput speeds of even a single SSD will never be reached when loading the OS (or most apps too).

So unless you're going to also use the same drive for all your cache and VM files placing the system on an SSD RAID is a wasted effort. IMO you should put your OS on one of these for $90 and then use the two SSDs in RAID0 for your project and processing work area. Then just dump it off to an external (and the backups) when done.

Edited on Mar 10, 2013 at 09:06 PM · View previous versions

Mar 10, 2013 at 01:29 AM
LarryBoy57
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · External hard drive advice for windows vista

Hopefully this post is closer to original question.

If your computer has an eSata port, I'd recommend that for an external hard drive. I've got both a USB hard drive enclosure and an eSata enclosure and for speed, the eSata connected drive smokes the USB.

Larry

Mar 10, 2013 at 01:41 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · External hard drive advice for windows vista

It only seems off topic. Knowing the options, relative speeds, purposes, and so on is kind of a requirement I would think. Unless the OP had all that down and just wanted a product recommendation - and then we're all OT.

Although I notice the OP is hit-and-run M.I.A.

Mar 10, 2013 at 09:09 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password