New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

Carp! My screen capture app gives a different grey that the paste into CS PS6.

Anyway, you get the idea.

Oooooo how didja do dat ?

Magic.

Feb 11, 2013 at 05:52 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

jcolwell wrote:
Magic.

OK, now I get it.

Feb 11, 2013 at 06:03 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

PetKal wrote:
Well, I am still checking it out....what a Tonka toy of a lens.

My mirrors are up now the shower curtain rod next and the bathrooms are finally finished being renovated. The I can start working finishing the floors in all the other rooms. Though I kinda like the subfloor look, you never have to clean them.

Be sure to try a few shots with the special framing attachment at about 12mm

http://www.robert-chisholm.com/Urban_and_Rural_Landscape/images/1_Course_Free_IMG_0537_jpg.jpg

Feb 11, 2013 at 06:27 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

burningheart wrote:
My mirrors are up now the shower curtain rod next and the bathrooms are finally finished being renovated. The I can start working finishing the floors in all the other rooms. Though I kinda like the subfloor look, you never have to clean them.

Be sure to try a few shots with the special framing attachment at about 12mm

http://www.robert-chisholm.com/Urban_and_Rural_Landscape/images/1_Course_Free_IMG_0537_jpg.jpg

Robert, I think your shitter is about to fail...

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:16 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

jcolwell wrote:
I think your shitter is about to fail...

Time to get out the CPS card for cheaper repair

Are you really sure.

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:22 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:36 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

Youd have to get close. Could be done. One guy got some great shots of hummingbirds with a Hassleblad and I think the 80. Might need a remote.

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:43 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

burningheart wrote:
Time to get out the CPS card for cheaper repair

Are you really sure.

Looks to me like EMD is knackered, but what do I know, I just got the lens(e) today.

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:02 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

Let us start with the material comments:

(1) Without the hood/cap, the lens(e) feels fairly solid, thick and dense in hand, no rattles.
(2) The zoom/MF rings are fairly smooth, snug and silent now. Alas, with Canon plastic barrel lenses of this type, that doesn't last very long. Typically within a year or two the rings become loose a bit, and they develop a squeal often.
(3) The barrel shell seems to be thicker than in 100L.....it doesn't have that (hollow) styrofoam cup feel to it.
(4) The removable hood is kinda OK, except it vignettes insanely, so it better be kept off.....I do not even know why they bothered with it.
(5) The dust cap "attaches", to use that expression very loosely (sic.), to the hood in a random manner: sometimes it latches, sometimes it falls off by itself. However, one can not attach the cap in any way onto the hoodless lens. Therefore, it looks like the hood's main purpose is to "hold" the cap (here and there, that is).
This decidedly Rube Goldberg type of hood/cap design doesn't really speak well of Canon engineering.

Edited on Feb 11, 2013 at 09:37 PM · View previous versions

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:20 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

PetKal wrote:
...This decidedly Rube Goldberg type of hood/cap design doesn't really speak well of Canon engineering.

To bad. The cap on the TS-E 17/4L is a peach. It's also a great hood for doing a "dark shot".

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:24 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

jcolwell wrote:
To bad. The cap on the TS-E 17/4L is a peach. It's also a great hood for doing a "dark shot".

I guess different folks work on different lens models.....some succeed nicely, some fail.
In fact, I prefer the front cap on 15mm FE, although that one is kept in place by a felt lining.....not very positive either, but it is OK....the cap of my 15 FE got detached in the bag only once, fortunately with no ensuing damage to the lens front element.

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:34 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

PetKal wrote:
Let us start with the material comments:

(2) The zoom/MF rings are fairly smooth, snug and silent now. Alas, with Canon plastic barrel lenses of this type, that doesn't last very long. Typically within a year or two the rings become loose a bit, and they develop a squeal often.

Mine functions the same from day 1. No issues.

(4) The removable hood is kinda OK, except it vignettes insanely, so it better be kept off.....I do not even know why they bothered with it.

So you can use it at 12mm, see earlier picture. I only use it at 15mm or those at 12mm when I want different look, otherwise it is off.

(5) The dust cap "attaches", to use that expression very loosely (sic.), to the hood in a random manner: sometimes it latches, sometimes it falls off by itself. However, one can not attach the cap in any way onto the hoodless lens. Therefore, it looks like the hood's main purpose is to "hold" the cap (here and there, that is).

Mine was that way for a long time then one day it stopped coming off when I put it on in a slightly different way and now when I put it together properly it works fine, I am still not sure what I did that one time.

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:41 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

Mine was that way for a long time then one day it stopped coming off when I put it on in a slightly different way and now when I put it together properly it works fine, I am still not sure what I did that one time.

Robert, I have been playing with it all day, in a totally COD manner, but I haven't discovered your "secret" lock yet. I guess there are also a few makeshift measures one can take in order to secure the cap better.

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:50 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

It was a couple of months when mine finally started staying on. I do remember one time I put it back on 180 degrees opposite to how I took it off.

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:05 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

Anyway, Robert, just wanted to thank you for giving me a nudge in the 8-15L direction, I know now I will enjoy the lens as much as the old 15FE, perhaps even more, as it looks very promising.

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:39 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

Simple, easy peasy. You come to my chicken coop. Assume the position (no Peter, your [I]shooting position I pick up my bantam Cochin rooster, stroke him a bit, and then give him a gentle toss towards your position. He loves to fly about particularly if there are good eats behind you. As he heads towards and past you, fire off your 1Dx with fisheye mounted at 12fps and Voila! Fisheye ABB. (I'd demonstrate but I lack both the camera and the lens. Oh, and Monday is his day off. Strict union rules those chickens have.

Oh, you want a WILD ABB. Sorry, wrong acronym. That would be WABB! Totally different event.

Ralph, you're absolutely right. We are spending too much time in this pub - uh I mean forum. Need to go outside and look for low flying bantams. Ugh. It's cold and rainy for the first time in 8 weeks. (Cold and rainy here in the Sonoran Desert may look a little different to those of you in northern latitudes.) Oh, is a fisheye weather proof?

Never mind! I need to do something of great importance. Take out the trash? Yeah, that was it

Peter, can't wait for your experiment. You're not using projectile pigeons are you? The PETA people would take a very dim view of that. Of course they also frown at me for eating the young roosters. (Hens lay about 50-50 by sex and we only need 1 rooster at a time, hence chicken soup.) I'm wandering off into cuckoo land. Bye.

Robert

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:49 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

Good stuff, Robert, you write funny stuff well.
However, please never again tell me to "assume the position".

Edited on Feb 11, 2013 at 10:20 PM · View previous versions

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:55 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

PetKal wrote:
Anyway, Robert, just wanted to thank you for giving me a nudge in the 8-15L direction, I know now I will enjoy the lens as much as the old 15FE, perhaps even more, as it looks very promising.

I feel on top of the world that's twice now you followed my lead. The other time was the 800L. The two extremes.

It's a lot of enjoyment, but don't ever put aside the 15 FE, I had thoughts of putting mine aside and I find I still use it a lot.

PS- Start thinking 200-400 and 24-70 MKII

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:13 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

burningheart wrote:
I feel on top of the world that's twice now you followed my lead. The other time was the 800L. The two extremes.

It's a lot of enjoyment, but don't ever put aside the 15 FE, I had thoughts of putting mine aside and I find I still use it a lot.

PS- Start thinking 200-400 and 24-70 MKII

My 24-70L II I'll get as soon as its price drops to $1,600.
As far as 200-400L goes, hard to say which way that will play out.......lottsa unknowns including its release date.

You are one of very few people anywhere that I'd listen to when it comes equipment purchase.

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Can one shoot ABB at 8mm FL

PetKal wrote:
ABB stands for AIR BORNE BIRD.
BIF is a special subset of ABB.

We don't have Airborne service around here, just Fedupex and Downy UPS.

Too bad about the 8-15 cap. I'm not crazy about the cap for the old 15. I lost one that fell off while I was walking. At least Adorama had a replacement in stock. I agree that the cap for the 17 TS-E is great. Secure and easy to use.

I won't be able to participate in the hunt for ABB at 8mm. I guess that would have been a reason to keep my Peleng 8, but it's long gone.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:38 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.