Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · About your second body....

lukeb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · About your second body....

Primary is a D700, backup is a D700.

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:59 AM
brewercm
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · About your second body....

I had a D700 and D7000 as my backup but decided to sell the D700 for the D7000. Thus Gabe Mt the option of FX or DX depending on situation and the batteries and cards interchangeable. Can pretty much do what I can with my 600 with my 7000 in a pinch. Besides I use the D7000 when vacationing and gives me that extra reach worg carrying but a few lenses.

Just a personal choice on my part.

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:29 AM
Lance B
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · About your second body....

papageno wrote:
I picked this up in another thread and it got me thinking. When you get a second body, why would you get a different camera? Particularly when one is fx and the other is dx?

From my perspective, it makes so much sense to have a pair that are identicle. If you are using both, the images should mix as seamlessly as possible; if one is backing up the other controls will be different and when the sensors are different sizes lens swapping can be limiting. Again. having identical bodies is psychologically easier and mechanically simpler.

I understand the difference in cost,
...Show more

I am the person that posted the post that you have used as your question.

The reason I purchased a D7000 as a second camera to my D700 was purely for reach for my wildlife and birding photography.. The reason is that I get 16Mp and 1.5x crop over the D700 which would have only been 5.3Mp for the same "focal apparent length" and the resultant loss of resolution. Added to that, the high ISO was basically as good as the D700, so there was no loss in that department. When I didn't require reach, I always used the D700 as it was the better camera for all other purposes.

Having the D7000 means that I could use all the same lenses as I do on the D700 and therefore no need to have two systems.

Now that I have the D800E, I have no need for either the D700 or D7000 as it makes them both redundant.

Feb 12, 2013 at 05:15 AM
zquaratella
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · About your second body....

Mark_L wrote:
With two of the same you end up with two cameras that are both as good and bad at the same things but with two different bodies they can compliment each other better.

Just want to point out that Mark is basically synthesizing what everyone's saying here into a single sentence. Beautiful and concise. Anecdotal evidence abounds but this is what everyone's experience seems to point to. Well said!

Feb 12, 2013 at 05:35 AM
ChrisDM
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · About your second body....

With an FX and a DX body you literally have 2 sets of focal lengths to choose from for every lens, a built-in tele-extender on one body. Works out very well for events/concerts/weddings etc.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Javier Munoz
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · About your second body....

My second body is a converted Samsung NX to full spectrum. Mirrorless cameras are far better for this and this particular model was cheap when I bought it.

Some people just use second bodies as complements.

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:13 PM
sanjayg
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · About your second body....

I think if you are a pro, having second (or more) bodies is a given. But for a hobbyist like me, I choose to pick up my D7K when I have to go light, or need reach or have to lend the camera to my wife or to vary the reach on my lenses.

It would be nice to have the Primary and Backup bodies share batteries, cards and ergonomics but that hasn't happened since my D700/D300s days. Now the D800/e and D600/D7k share the same batteries and cards atleast.

Feb 12, 2013 at 08:26 PM
barisaxer
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · About your second body....

I loved my D700 D300 combo made for a versitile lens group. Now I added a D800 and am confused again but not to much. I do not shoot as much as Will does so it takes me a bit to get a body down. By then they have something better so it keeps me learning

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:34 PM
brewercm
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · About your second body....

My future plans are to pickup a D800 and move my D600 to backup duty then decide what to do with the D7000 at that point. May just keep it as my vacation camera our start learnin my daughter with it. She's nine now and keeps begging for better cameras.

Feb 14, 2013 at 02:10 PM
QWK SVT

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · About your second body....

I have a D700 and D600.

The D700 provides speed (AF and is often gripped for 8fps), ruggedness and better balance with my 70-200VRII or 300. the D600 provides resolution and dynamic range for landscapes, and portability in a smaller and lighter package.

Feb 15, 2013 at 04:13 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password