FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · lighter 14-24mm

Foto Dude

[X]
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · lighter 14-24mm

ChrisDM wrote:
I should have expanded on that point. I didn't say there was no place for ultrawide in landscape photography. But it is like HDR, its power is often abused by improper use by those with less experience: An ultrawide shot requires a VERY strong foreground element to succeed, as in Steve's examples above. But most just try to "get everything in", foreground elements be damned, creating the stereotypical tourist with a wide lens shot.

"The 14-24 is not a "landscape lens","

That's the equivalent of "there was no place for ultrawide in landscape photography". You are contradicting yourself, Chris.

Thank you for the beautiful shots Steve.

There's a way to get around the 14-24mm without using a filter for blurry effect by using photoshop. There's a youtube video on this subject, but I can't find it atm.

Feb 12, 2013 at 08:17 PM
ChrisDM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · lighter 14-24mm

My subjects are too widespread to call any lens a "landscape lens", or an "architecture lens", or an "event lens", etc... However it is true that some lenses are better suited to certain tasks than others. And the 14-24 is particularly suited to architecture and events, thanks to its fast aperture and wide FOV. Does that mean you can't shoot landscape images with it? Of course not! But there are more practical options for that task.

Feb 12, 2013 at 08:31 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · lighter 14-24mm

Any lens can be a so-called "landscape" lens. There is no such a thing as the orthodox lens for a given genre. What you say in your image is far more important than perspective itself.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Thorsten
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · lighter 14-24mm

ChrisDM wrote:
My subjects are too widespread to call any lens a "landscape lens", or an "architecture lens", or an "event lens", etc... However it is true that some lenses are better suited to certain tasks than others. And the 14-24 is particularly suited to architecture and events, thanks to its fast aperture and wide FOV. Does that mean you can't shoot landscape images with it? Of course not! But there are more practical options for that task.

I used to think so, too, but which other lens coud have been used for Steve's shots on the last page? None that I can think of. The16-35 which I had suggested myself does not go to 14mm where a couple of those were taken. Not to mention that it's optically apparently behind. Other than that, a couple of primes perhaps, like Zeiss 15mm and 21mm. Hardly more practical, let alone economic.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:58 PM
ChrisDM
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · lighter 14-24mm

Thorsten wrote:
I used to think so, too, but which other lens coud have been used for Steve's shots on the last page? None that I can think of. The16-35 which I had suggested myself does not go to 14mm where a couple of those were taken. Not to mention that it's optically apparently behind. Other than that, a couple of primes perhaps, like Zeiss 15mm and 21mm. Hardly more practical, let alone economic.

Yes, although of course it is quite a rare occurence where 16mm isnt wide enough, but 14mm is. 9 times out of 10 you could just take another half a step back. I suppose it could happen though! That's an awful expensive 2mm for that rare occurance though.

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:26 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · lighter 14-24mm

ChrisDM wrote:
Yes, although of course it is quite a rare occurence where 16mm isnt wide enough, but 14mm is. 9 times out of 10 you could just take another half a step back. I suppose it could happen though! That's an awful expensive 2mm for that rare occurance though.

It's not just the 14mm. Its the corner sharpness, the F2.8, lack of distortion and contrast that rivals the Zeiss 15mm and the Zeiss 21mm. It may be more expensive than the 16-35mm, but for many, it is the better option.

Glad the 16-35mm is wide enough for you, but for many of us, 14mm is sometimes not wide enough. . Plus, when you correct for distortion, your left with around a 15-16mm image.

Not sure what kind of image you would be left with if you corrected for distortion on the 16-35mm. I have heard it has pretty bad distortion, but I could be wrong.

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:35 PM
ChrisDM
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · lighter 14-24mm

Hardcore wrote:
It's not just the 14mm. Its the corner sharpness, the F2.8, lack of distortion and contrast that rivals the Zeiss 15mm and the Zeiss 21mm. It may be more expensive than the 16-35mm, but for many, it is the better option.

Glad the 16-35mm is wide enough for you, but for many of us, 14mm is sometimes not wide enough. . Plus, when you correct for distortion, your left with around a 15-16mm image.

Not sure what kind of image you would be left with if you corrected for distortion on the 16-35mm. I have heard it has pretty bad distortion,
...Show more

I actually shoot with the 17-35 2.8, got the best of both worlds. Tack sharp, fast and relatively low distortion. There are times I wish it were wider though, for architecture & real estate. However I almost always use a circular polarizer when shooting exteriors, so I make do with 17mm. That is still pretty dang wide.

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:58 PM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · lighter 14-24mm

I've been on different photography forums enough to see the things that people often say that are "rules" or "guidelines" like:

85mm is a portrait lens.

50mm is normal lens.

24mm is too wide for portrait lens.

100mm is too long for landscape photography.

In my honest opinion, I think it's silly when people refer these as rules or guidelines to follow.

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:04 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · lighter 14-24mm

honorerdieu wrote:
I've been on different photography forums enough to see the things that people often say that are "rules" or "guidelines" like:

85mm is a portrait lens.

50mm is normal lens.

In my honest opinion, I think it's silly when people refer these as rules or guidelines to follow.

Thank you for saying this..... guidelines are exactly that. Just because someone says you can only use an 85mm lens for portraits, does not mean you can't use it for anything else. Same goes for the 14-24.

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:37 PM
roland hale
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · lighter 14-24mm

I honestly never noticed that lenses were heavy until people started talking about it. I've used the 14-24 on countless 12-16 hour assigments/missions in Afghanistan. It's two pounds..

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:07 PM
PB_James
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · lighter 14-24mm

Steve Perry wrote:
It's a bit heavy & bulky, but I don't mind. I like 2.8 - it makes it easier to compose astro shots and setup before sunrise when seeing your composition in the dim viewfinder is a challenge. I think if I could ask for an improvement to the lens it would be a drop in filter drawer like my 300mm and 500mm have - don't even know if that's possible, but sounds good lol.

It sure sounds good to me, Steve! I would certainly make life a whole lot easier, if it were possible! I agree about lining up shots in dim light, by comparison, using my friend's Canon 17mm T/S in dim light was like looking into a cave.

Feb 13, 2013 at 05:01 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · lighter 14-24mm

Hardcore wrote:
ChrisDM wrote:
A lot more than the 14-24

The reason the 14-24 is so heavy is the Big, Super high quality Glass
Substitute cheap light small diameter glass and you will loose a lot.
Those images will not be near equal in Quality.

Feb 13, 2013 at 09:03 PM
mm767cap

p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · lighter 14-24mm

The Nikon 14-24 f2.8 is the best zoom landscape lens in the business, period. It's so good, in fact, that many many top Canon shooters have bought an adapter just to be able to use the lens in the field. I only shoot landscapes and its on my camera 95% of the time. FANTASTIC lens

Feb 16, 2013 at 08:11 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · lighter 14-24mm

honorerdieu wrote:

85mm is a portrait lens.

50mm is normal lens.

+1 I break these "rules" all the time and get great images.

Feb 16, 2013 at 08:20 PM
BriMcD
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · lighter 14-24mm

14-24 rocks for weddings!!!

Feb 19, 2013 at 09:33 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.