Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · PW AC3 vs. ST-E2

_Rob_S_
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · PW AC3 vs. ST-E2

Just picked up two FlexTT5 units and a MiniTT1 and I'm playing around to get the feel. Shooting with 5D2, 580 and 580 II. I also have an ST-E2. I finally got the flash compensation to give me a decent range of result but the ST-E2 on the MiniTT1 doesn't seem to provide much range between the two flashes. I believe I have everything set up per the PocketWizard tutorial.

I realize that manual would give me the most control but the use of ETTL is the big selling point of this system. Will the AC3 zone controller give me more differentiation between the two flashes?

TIA

Rob

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:58 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · PW AC3 vs. ST-E2

I can't comment on the ST-E2 when mounted on a MiniTT1, but by itself the ST-E2 can give an A:B ratio that runs from 8:1 through 1:1 to 1:8. I would think it could do the same when combined with PWs, but I haven't tried it.

Feb 10, 2013 at 02:33 AM
_Rob_S_
• • •
p.1 #3 · PW AC3 vs. ST-E2

Thanks Brian, that's exactly how I thought it would work as well. I'm just not seeing anywhere near that much range in my shots though. Maybe a half stop difference from one extreme to the other.

I'll play around some more today. Anyone have any experience with this combo?

Rob

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:22 PM
_Rob_S_
• • •
p.1 #4 · PW AC3 vs. ST-E2

Problem solved, though I can't tell you how. I did notice that the ETTL light on my ST-E2 was not lit and the PW tutorials show it lit. I powered everything down and back up (like any good PC user does) and the light came on. System seems to work as advertised.

It does look like the AC3 controller provides more flexibility but as I already have the ST-E2 I'll make it work.

Rob

Feb 10, 2013 at 05:07 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · PW AC3 vs. ST-E2

_Rob_S_ wrote:
Problem solved, though I can't tell you how.

In one of the PW tutorials it was suggested to power up everything "from the top down" -- so the order would be ST-E2, then MiniTT1, then camera. If that's true, maybe the first time you used a different order.

Or maybe it was just gremlins messing with you.

Feb 10, 2013 at 09:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Roland W
• • •
p.1 #6 · PW AC3 vs. ST-E2

For the power on sequence, I would also include doing the remote flash devices and followed by their Flex TT5 transcivers before doing the top down sequence on the camera.

The AC3 is low cost and very small, and gives you a lot of control, so you may want to further consider getting one to use on your MiniTT1.

Feb 11, 2013 at 03:31 PM
Michael White
• • •
p.1 #7 · PW AC3 vs. ST-E2

Get the AC3. You will use it more as it gives you total control of the remotes from the camera. Auto or manual plus on off for each of the three groups you have + or - 3 stops in 1/3 settings.

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:13 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #8 · PW AC3 vs. ST-E2

I can only say I've had the AC3 for awhile but am just now trying it out. The TT1 and TT5s work with my Canon flashes. I put the AC3 on and flashes do not fire at all. Triple checked settings, no go. I will look at it again in the AM. Hope it's simple.

Aug 15, 2013 at 05:16 AM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #9 · PW AC3 vs. ST-E2

If you happen to have old firmware installed in the TT1 and TT5, it may be old enough to not even support the AC3, which was released as a product later. So verify you have a recent firmware version, and that the version matches in all your Pocketwizards. Also pay attention to the turn on sequence of top down at the remote flash and then the TT5's, and then after those are on, top down on the TT1 and the camera.

Aug 15, 2013 at 02:50 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #10 · PW AC3 vs. ST-E2

Firmware is updated and fine. I called PW today. It seems with the Canon 1D X it isn't really up to speed. I set configuration from "auto" on detecting the camera to the 1D X and had to switch from Auto on the AC3 to Manual. They are working on a firmware update that will include the ETTL issues on the 1D X.

Aug 16, 2013 at 03:02 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password