Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · FredMiranda site slow - kicks up CPU?

Paul.K
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · FredMiranda site slow - kicks up CPU?

Hi guys,

I've only really noticed it consistently with FM.com but whenever I open this website and especially if I have multiple tabs, my processor works really hard, the CPU core temperatures goes up significantly (40 C to 80 C) and my fans kick on in my laptop. No other site does it as consistently as FM. It's similar to when I open Photoshop and start heavy processing. Does anyone else have this problem?

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:01 PM
BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · FredMiranda site slow - kicks up CPU?

FM is as basic as sites come. I don't have this problem and I'm typing from a piece of junk work computer.

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:07 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · FredMiranda site slow - kicks up CPU?

Hmmm. That doesn't happen to me, either.

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:30 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #4 · FredMiranda site slow - kicks up CPU?

especially if I have multiple tabs, my processor works really hard, the CPU core temperatures goes up significantly

Multiple tabs, open window programs, using IE instead of Firefox, an older computer, spyware, etc. all add up and can reduce RAM and slow up your computer. There are tests to check out this kind of stuff out that are readily available on Google. I get on FM in less than a second on any of my Apple "i" devices. If you had a new computer with enough RAM you shouldn't even struggle with Photoshop.

Feb 08, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Paul.K
• • •
p.1 #5 · FredMiranda site slow - kicks up CPU?

Thanks for all the responses. I guess it's just me but it seems so weird.

I am fairly computer savy. I reformat yearly (in January)--it was like this before and after the format. I use Chrome, not Firefox or IE. It isn't any site besides FM (and a few other ones like Google Calendar). The speed of getting the page loaded is not any extra, just the load on the processor.

The computer is older though (3.5 years), but I do keep it clean. It doesn't struggle with Photoshop, just gets hot and the fans fire up.

Feb 08, 2013 at 10:30 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · FredMiranda site slow - kicks up CPU?

I typically use IE on Win 7x64 (i7-3770, 3.4 GHz, 16GB RAM) with two instances of multiple-tab IE browsers. At the same time I run PS CS6 and multiple-window instances of Excel and Word. No problems. The only things that slow it down are: (1) occasional poor quality connection to my wireless hub; and, (2) the extra file protection layer(s) in Win7/Vista that make the sys sometimes go away for a while when you want to open a new file. My computer is about 5 months old. Maybe it's time to upgrade.

Feb 09, 2013 at 12:17 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #7 · FredMiranda site slow - kicks up CPU?

Why don't you look at the processes tab in the task manager and compare the CPU activity before and after loggin in here?

Feb 09, 2013 at 12:31 AM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #8 · FredMiranda site slow - kicks up CPU?

Get a Mac Sorry, guys, couldn't resist

Feb 09, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · FredMiranda site slow - kicks up CPU?

anthonysemone wrote:

Hey, it's true. My procs when viewing FM pages look like:

0%, 0%, 0%, 0%, 0%, 0%, 0%, 0%, 1%, 0%, 0%, 0%.

It's that Mac-Magic... I'm sure of it!

Feb 09, 2013 at 01:05 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · FredMiranda site slow - kicks up CPU?

anthonysemone wrote:

Nothing wrong with that! It's not like the two communities can't meet minds. After all, it's not cameras!

Feb 09, 2013 at 01:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

borderlight
• • •
p.1 #11 · FredMiranda site slow - kicks up CPU?

+1. Anthony

"Just gets hot and the fans fire up".

Towers and fans, how quaint. BTDT.

Feb 09, 2013 at 01:21 AM
Paul.K
• • •
p.1 #12 · FredMiranda site slow - kicks up CPU?

Alrighty, as long as it's just me, no worries I guess. When I pop open more tabs, the CPU percent for Chrome goes to around 60-70%. Firefox gets to about 60%. IE is about the same as Chrome. I have dual core 2.6 GHZ T9600 (nothing special, but definitely should be able to handle it).

Feb 09, 2013 at 03:09 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · FredMiranda site slow - kicks up CPU?

borderlight wrote:
+1. Anthony

"Just gets hot and the fans fire up".

Towers and fans, how quaint. BTDT.

As compared to what, rack mount servers and a FC or 10GbE SAN?
Few would spend that kind of money for personal use.

EBH

Feb 09, 2013 at 05:58 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #14 · FredMiranda site slow - kicks up CPU?

Apple makes a tower too. It's very expensive and designed for the extreme user like an agency artist, or heavy-weight video production, but for the average user a simple one piece iMac is sufficient. It doesn't have all the wires and virus headaches of a PC. The Mac is on the same page with itself whereas a PC is dependent on third party products trying to function in harmony. I had PCs for 25 years so at least I have a reference point. I got tired of putting out $130 a year for anti-virus, spyware/malware products - a fact that seems to allude those who do price comparisons. Two years ago I was forced to get rid of my PC for problems like the OP is having now, even after upgrading some of it's components. A Mac isn't the solution to all your computer problems, but IMO it is a good start.

Feb 09, 2013 at 03:42 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · FredMiranda site slow - kicks up CPU?

Paul.K wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. I guess it's just me but it seems so weird.

I am fairly computer savy. I reformat yearly (in January)--it was like this before and after the format. I use Chrome, not Firefox or IE. It isn't any site besides FM (and a few other ones like Google Calendar). The speed of getting the page loaded is not any extra, just the load on the processor.

The computer is older though (3.5 years), but I do keep it clean. It doesn't struggle with Photoshop, just gets hot and the fans fire up.

So do you have the issue with IE or Firefox? The adverts here are not heavy and the rest is rather static. A 2.8GHz C2D is rather old though. Perhaps a a second or two is normal.

EBH

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:09 PM
Paul.K
• • •
p.1 #16 · FredMiranda site slow - kicks up CPU?

EB-1 wrote:
So do you have the issue with IE or Firefox? The adverts here are not heavy and the rest is rather static. A 2.8GHz C2D is rather old though. Perhaps a a second or two is normal.
EBH

When I pop open more tabs, the CPU percent for Chrome goes to around 60-70%. Firefox gets to about 60%. IE is about the same as Chrome. The CPU kicking up to those percents is the problem so I do have the issue independent of the browser.

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:35 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · FredMiranda site slow - kicks up CPU?

borderlight wrote:
Apple makes a tower too. It's very expensive and designed for the extreme user like an agency artist, or heavy-weight video production, but for the average user a simple one piece iMac is sufficient. It doesn't have all the wires and virus headaches of a PC. The Mac is on the same page with itself whereas a PC is dependent on third party products trying to function in harmony. I had PCs for 25 years so at least I have a reference point. I got tired of putting out $130 a year for anti-virus, spyware/malware products - a fact that
...Show more

Oh, I'm not interested in that. Macs are way to difficult for an old fart like me to use and not very upgradeable nor overclockable. I like to build my own computers, with a major rebuild about every three years or whenever their is a significant performance increase. Right now I have an aging system, with a 2.5 YO 6-core extreme CPU, but other devices such as RAID controllers are newer and there are 44TB of direct storage. I'm waiting a bit for the 8-core Ivy Bridge-E CPUs in Q4 to refresh the system.

EBH

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:49 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #18 · FredMiranda site slow - kicks up CPU?

Right now I have an aging system, with a 2.5 YO 6-core extreme CPU, but other devices such as RAID controllers are newer and there are 44TB of direct storage. I'm waiting a bit for the 8-core Ivy Bridge-E CPUs in Q4 to refresh the system.

Really! I'm am working on stuffing those same things in an iMac. I may go to 10-core Ivy Bridge, but maybe upping the experience with a 50TB of indirect storage with a 3.0 YO on the side. Not sure now, but there's a good chance I might postpone this project for my next lifetime when I might have a better grasp on what you just said.

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:53 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #19 · FredMiranda site slow - kicks up CPU?

Two years ago I was forced to get rid of my PC for problems like the OP is having now, even after upgrading some of it's components. A Mac isn't the solution to all your computer problems, but IMO it is a good start.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mactard

Feb 09, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · FredMiranda site slow - kicks up CPU?

YAMVPCT Oh my...

Feb 09, 2013 at 11:11 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password