Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Trouble with Sekonic L-358, Pocket Wizard Module and firi...

junk_bond
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trouble with Sekonic L-358, Pocket Wizard Module and firing distance

Hi All,

I recently picked up a used L-358 with the RT32 module included. I'm having trouble getting the light meter to trigger the pocket wizards at distances over 5ft. The meter says the batter is at 100% and I have fresh batteries in the PW's. I've tried switching my 3 pocket wizards around and all of them have the same poor performance. I've also tried using the older as well as newer versions of the pocket wizards with no improvement. The only other thing I have tried is orienting both the wizards and light meter in different directions(including upside down, haha).

Any idea what could be up? Thanks

Feb 08, 2013 at 02:17 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trouble with Sekonic L-358, Pocket Wizard Module and firing distance

What kind(s) of lights are the PWs attached to?

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:07 AM
xjetjock
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trouble with Sekonic L-358, Pocket Wizard Module and firing distance

Mine did the same thing, first intermittently and then more constantly. I sent it to Sekonic and they replaced the main board under warranty. Works fine now but gets little use since I moved up to a 758 DR for its spot metering feature. I'd contact Sekonic. I think the turn around time was about a month. Good luck.

Paul S

Feb 08, 2013 at 10:53 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Trouble with Sekonic L-358, Pocket Wizard Module and firing distance

New battery in meter worked when I had same problem.

Feb 08, 2013 at 11:54 AM
junk_bond
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Trouble with Sekonic L-358, Pocket Wizard Module and firing distance

PW's are attached to Yongnuo 560's. I will try out a new battery in the meter. The battery indicator says it is full, but I have heard stories that the RT32 module will drain the battery faster. Thanks guys.

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:13 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Trouble with Sekonic L-358, Pocket Wizard Module and firing distance

in my experience the battery indicator isn't very reliable w. transmitter installed. Meter will start to act funky when using module when indicator says it is OK.

To work accurately the meter circuit needs stable voltage. When battery voltage drops below that level with use (above totally dead) meter stops entirely rather than giving inaccurate readings. Most older meters (including two I have that are now paperweights) used mercury cells (now banned) because their voltage stayed more stable over the entire useful life.

Because my L-358 meter always seems to stop working at the least convenient time (when I'm using it) I always have a spare battery tucked in the top flap of the case along with the lumigrid reflective attachment (never use it just don't want to lose it). I created the pouch by cutting the inner liner where the cover flap folds.

BTW - I have a tutorial on how to use one on my site which explains the function of the dome, etc. http://photo.nova.org

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:29 PM
junk_bond
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Trouble with Sekonic L-358, Pocket Wizard Module and firing distance

Great, thanks Cgardner, I will give that a try. Nice tutorial too!

Feb 08, 2013 at 02:13 PM
junk_bond
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Trouble with Sekonic L-358, Pocket Wizard Module and firing distance

Hey All,

Just an update. I replaced the batteries in the meter and I am still having the same issues. I also went ahead and bought a new module. The new module does not seem to help at all.

I believe this is an older model Sekonic L-358. The back of the meter has an FCC number along with a Canada number. The module it came with does not have any type of FCC number, and just says JM30 plus some more numbers.

The new RT-32N module has FCC and IC numbers plus the CE symbol.

Does anyone know if the modules work with this specific meter?

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Ronny Mills
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Trouble with Sekonic L-358, Pocket Wizard Module and firing distance

I have to ensure PW antennas are not next to the metal stands.

Feb 20, 2013 at 05:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

zurkzees
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Trouble with Sekonic L-358, Pocket Wizard Module and firing distance

I have the same problem with the sekonic sometimes.
less than 10feet away and to trigger the light i have to
tilt the meter bottom towards the receiver but then I can't
meter the light properly due to the angle.

Feb 20, 2013 at 05:08 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Trouble with Sekonic L-358, Pocket Wizard Module and firing distance

junk_bond wrote:
The new RT-32N module has FCC and IC numbers plus the CE symbol.

Does anyone know if the modules work with this specific meter?

PW uses different frequencies is US/Canada and EU because in EU the US Frequency is reserved for NATO.

L-358 meter design has evolved over the years. It was formerly necessary to have matched FCC or CE labeled meter & transmitter ( e.g., when I bought mine in 2004) but now the RT-32N works with FCC and CE labeled meters per the current manual.

http://www.sekonic.com/downloads/L-358_English.pdf

See the chart on page 30

But if transmitter frequency was the problem it wouldn't work at all.

What model PW are you using? Check receiver battery contacts for corrosion. That's a problem with older PW. I always remove batteries from my PW rx/tx between uses.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:43 AM
junk_bond
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Trouble with Sekonic L-358, Pocket Wizard Module and firing distance

I am using PWII's. I am pretty diligent about removing the batteries after I'm done. One thing I have been starting to see is that there are some issues with the Sekonic, PW 's and some brands of flash units with regard to radio frequency interference. It seems like the Sekonic has a much smaller antenna then the PW's and therefore is affected by RFI more so then the standard PW. I could see that being the issue since I have only tried this with one brand of flash, which happens to be Chinese.

Hopefully I will have some monolights to try it out on soon.

Feb 20, 2013 at 01:51 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Trouble with Sekonic L-358, Pocket Wizard Module and firing distance

Try more distance between flash and PW (longer cord) and wrapping flash in foil as a DIY RF shield.

Feb 20, 2013 at 02:15 PM
junk_bond
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Trouble with Sekonic L-358, Pocket Wizard Module and firing distance

Great idea, that would at least rule the RFI in or out. Thanks!

Feb 20, 2013 at 02:37 PM
junk_bond
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Trouble with Sekonic L-358, Pocket Wizard Module and firing distance

Added distance and DIY aluminum foil to flash, and it did not help.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:35 PM

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Trouble with Sekonic L-358, Pocket Wizard Module and firing distance

Im also having this problem. Same set up. I have the PW connected to some Yongnuo 560 II and I the meter will not trigger the flash unless its really close to the PW. Sometimes I have to point the bottom of the meter to the flash in order for it to go off, Its really frustrating and just inconvenient.

Mar 05, 2013 at 06:47 AM
junk_bond
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Trouble with Sekonic L-358, Pocket Wizard Module and firing distance

Hey All,

Just figured I would post an update. I tested the meter out with a Profoto Acute2R 1200 tonight, so the PW was built into the generator. The meter worked flawlessly. I could basically go anywhere in my apartment without having any problems firing the flash via the meter. My only assumption is that it has something to do with the flash units....If I get a chance to try it with another brand of hot shoe flash, I will let you know.

Mar 07, 2013 at 01:15 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password