Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging...

vsg28
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

Part 1: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/01/a-24-70mm-system-comparison

Part 2: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/02/roger-buys-a-camera-system-screening

Part 3: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/02/roger-buys-a-camera-system-so-whats-this-going-to-cost

Part 4: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/02/roger-buys-a-camera-system-refining-my-choices

Finale: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/02/roger-buys-a-camera-system-finally

Very interesting read and one I think should be read by every photographer, not just a Canon one. Fred- If there is a better sub-forum for this, please feel free to move this.

P.S. Look who got nominated for Memphis' 2013 CEO of the Year: Link

Congrats

Edited on Feb 15, 2013 at 04:25 PM · View previous versions

Feb 07, 2013 at 01:04 AM
erikburd
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

Way to go, Roger! Excellent! Congratulations on the nomination.

Feb 07, 2013 at 01:26 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

Thank you for the link, vsg28. Thank you for your blog posts, Roger. I am looking foreward.
And yes, congratulations on the nomination, too.

Ralph

Feb 07, 2013 at 08:42 AM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

makes me want to try the d600..

Feb 07, 2013 at 09:49 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

The next in the series is up - where I looked at the various costs. I'm kind of ill now. Buying things here and there I was totally surprised to see what a reasonable kit costs. I think I'd been mentally blocking it out

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/02/roger-buys-a-camera-system-so-whats-this-going-to-cost

I may need to rethink my hobbies and go into something cheap like car collecting.

Feb 07, 2013 at 04:32 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

RCicala wrote:
The next in the series is up - where I looked at the various costs. I'm kind of ill now. Buying things here and there I was totally surprised to see what a reasonable kit costs. I think I'd been mentally blocking it out

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/02/roger-buys-a-camera-system-so-whats-this-going-to-cost

I may need to rethink my hobbies and go into something cheap like car collecting.

Roger I hear renting is a very cost effective option

Feb 07, 2013 at 04:45 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Roger I hear renting is a very cost effective option

Maybe Roger could try out the services of a few different rental companies, and blog about which one he likes best

Feb 07, 2013 at 05:04 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

Ha-ha! Michael, you never see the carnies playing Ring-Toss for reals.

Feb 07, 2013 at 05:44 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

What really surprised me was the cost/quality of service from the other brands. I've have a new found appreciation for CPS

Great quote: "In fact, I spent a few minutes thinking that my cell phone takes pretty nice pictures. "

Edited on Feb 07, 2013 at 05:59 PM · View previous versions

Feb 07, 2013 at 05:47 PM
Sayeret18
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

Real world advice from someone with unique gear access and knowledge.

Thanks, Roger!

Feb 07, 2013 at 05:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

abraxsis

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

Great read, but doesn't it kind of assume that a person believes a "reasonable kit" is one that covers all of the focal length range? Some people, depending on their speciality could get away with 1 or 2 lenses, I know one photog who uses nothing but a 50mm f/1.4 (on FF) because all he does it street photography. I've done entire on-location shoots with Suicide Girls with nothing but a 50mm and a 80-200mm (on my old Nikon DX setup).

Feb 07, 2013 at 06:14 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

The normal way if you start fresh with a new gear system, to get a camera first with a few lenses and add other lenses later. It is a nice blog written, but not a surprise at all in the outcome.

Feb 07, 2013 at 06:22 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

abraxsis wrote:
Great read, but doesn't it kind of assume that a person believes a "reasonable kit" is one that covers all of the focal length range? Some people, depending on their speciality could get away with 1 or 2 lenses, I know one photog who uses nothing but a 50mm f/1.4 (on FF) because all he does it street photography. I've done entire on-location shoots with Suicide Girls with nothing but a 50mm and a 80-200mm (on my old Nikon DX setup).

It does make assumptions based on what Roger subjectively believes he needs in his kit. He prefaced the discussion early on stating that this is based on his requirements, which may be different than yours or mine.

Feb 07, 2013 at 07:04 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

It will probably be different from what I buy, too. I was just doing some 'collect the usual set' pricing. For example, I won't end up with a 70-200 f/2.8, probably will end up with more primes. But I was comparing to the Oly kit that I had been shooting with.

Feb 07, 2013 at 07:12 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

RCicala wrote:
It will probably be different from what I buy, too. I was just doing some 'collect the usual set' pricing. For example, I won't end up with a 70-200 f/2.8, probably will end up with more primes. But I was comparing to the Oly kit that I had been shooting with.

Roger, we usually make these decisions quietly. Why do you feel the need to involve the entire world on these private matters!

Feb 07, 2013 at 07:15 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

Fred Miranda wrote:
Roger, we usually make these decisions quietly. Why do you feel the need to involve the entire world on these private matters!

I know, I know. But it's been several years since I, like, actually spent money on camera stuff.

I'd forgotten how scary it is. I can't do it alone. . . it takes a village. Or at least a forum.

Feb 07, 2013 at 07:30 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

If it were me, I'd just keep on borrowing from your business. USPS still delivers packages on Saturday

When your done with this series, I'm making a request for the next series: best kit for 3k, 6k, 10k.

Feb 07, 2013 at 07:37 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

Interesting comparing the crop to ff prices.

When you consider you get better resolution and a stop+ more light on the ff the difference is well worth it

Feb 07, 2013 at 08:05 PM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

bigbluebear wrote:
If it were me, I'd just keep on borrowing from your business. USPS still delivers packages on Saturday

When your done with this series, I'm making a request for the next series: best kit for 3k, 6k, 10k.

+1 Surely a CEO candidate of the year deserves free rentals

Feb 07, 2013 at 09:59 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Roger Cicala wants to buy a camera system and is blogging about it

RCicala wrote:
. . . it takes a village. Or at least a forum.

As long as one doesn't become the village i..... never mind!

J/K!

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:32 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password