Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

kewlcanon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

You can use Topic Search function. Type in OM-D NEX.

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:50 AM
barisaxer
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

Omd for lens choices. Sony for Manual glass with the focus peaking. Even though I had some great manual glass I went with the olympus and have been very happy so far. Fast AF and great files.

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:55 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

carstenw wrote:
To be specific, the NEX roadmap is catching up fast. The actual lenses for sale have some ways to go.

Currently the roadmap and the available lenses are almost in sync, only the 20 is in release date hell at the moment and it was only announced last week.

Feb 07, 2013 at 01:13 PM
jen.raborg

p.2 #4 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

Thanks to everyone for their input. I really do wish I had a local store that sold both of these so I could feel each to see which I preferred. It sounds like I can't go wrong with either body, just need to decide on which lenses are more appealing to me.

One last thing to make this decision more complicated, my friend is considering selling the 5r that I borrowed. He purchased through a deal that was a misprint and got the body w/18-55 lens and 55-210 lens for just under $700.00. I could get that set OR pay $899.00 for NEX-6 w/16-50 ($1147.00 w/55-210 lens combo) OR pay $1199.00 for the E-M5 refurb w/12-50 lens. Although I missed the VF, I'm wondering if the savings is worth it. Would I get use to the 5r without the VF? How hard is the LCD to see in bright sunlight?

This would be so much easier if I had somewhere locally to see these. I have no idea even how a EVF looks compared to the OVF in my DSLR.

Feb 07, 2013 at 01:46 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

mawz wrote:
Currently the roadmap and the available lenses are almost in sync, only the 20 is in release date hell at the moment and it was only announced last week.

I don't mean that they are out of sync, just that some of the more interesting stuff is in the future.

Feb 07, 2013 at 01:56 PM
jonrock
• •
p.2 #6 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

carstenw wrote:
To be specific, the NEX roadmap is catching up fast. The actual lenses for sale have some ways to go.

Quite true, I suspect we won't see the Sony Zeiss branded high quality zoom until the end of this year.

Feb 07, 2013 at 02:00 PM
riotshield

p.2 #7 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

jen.raborg wrote:
Thanks to everyone for their input. I really do wish I had a local store that sold both of these so I could feel each to see which I preferred. It sounds like I can't go wrong with either body, just need to decide on which lenses are more appealing to me.

One last thing to make this decision more complicated, my friend is considering selling the 5r that I borrowed. He purchased through a deal that was a misprint and got the body w/18-55 lens and 55-210 lens for just under $700.00. I could get that set OR pay $899.00
...Show more
The 5R has a daylight setting that brightens the LCD. Unfortunately, Sony decided to downgrade the 5R's LCD from the 5N by not only making it resistive vs. capacitive, but also removing the ambient light sensor so you have to adjust the brightness manually. I usually don't adjust my 5R's brightness as it hasn't been a huge problem for me, but it would have been nice to have an auto adjusting screen.

A new OM-D with 12-50 goes for $1200, I wouldn't pay that much for a refurb. I think it's a bad time to buy an OM-D though, the $150 lens rebates ended a couple weeks ago.

Feb 07, 2013 at 02:47 PM
tmark
• •
p.2 #8 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

I'm surprised to see the NEX-6 cited for work with manual glass. I'd rather have the OM-D's rather astonishing IBIS rather than focus peaking. Too bad I've lost my OM-D somewhere in the mess that is my house.

Feb 07, 2013 at 05:56 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.2 #9 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

Don't get something without a nice EVF.
The OM-D has a wider and more filled-out lens selection, for now.
I have had an OM-D, and if I get another crop sensor mirrorless, it will be the NEX-6 + Metabones speed booster.

EDIT- the 12-50 is a very versatile kit zoom, but I don't know if i would include it as a mandatory item. You can get a OMD body used on here for under $800 i believe, which then leaves plenty of room for other glass. The 14/2.5 is outstanding and VERY small.

Feb 07, 2013 at 07:44 PM
alwang
• • •
p.2 #10 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

tmark wrote:
I'm surprised to see the NEX-6 cited for work with manual glass. I'd rather have the OM-D's rather astonishing IBIS rather than focus peaking. Too bad I've lost my OM-D somewhere in the mess that is my house.

IMO, part of it is that many full frame lens focal lengths, which make at least some sense on an APS-C sensor, become really awkward on a MFT sensor.

Feb 07, 2013 at 09:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

If you want to use manual glass on MFT, it makes sense to use native wide glass and adapted middle or long glass. With the NEX you can go a bit further down with the adapted glass, and there are a couple of sweet lenses like the CV15 which make a lot more sense on NEX.

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:29 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

tmark wrote:

IBIS is nice, but accurate focusing is more important than stabilization. And frankly IBIS doesn't do much for some of us, I've owned a number of IBIS-equipped bodies and currently shoot a NEX-7 with the ZA 24 and adapted lenses and I don't even notice the lack of IS. But then again I have rather steady hands and don't shoot long-lens stuff handheld.

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:00 AM
gotak
• •
p.2 #13 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

sebboh wrote:
i keep hearing this argument for 4/3 over the NEX or samsung, but i just don't get it. on average there really isn't any size difference between comparable lenses for the aps-c mirrorless versus 4/3. sure the original kit lens for the NEX is bigger than the olympus equivalent (but not the panasonic), but in general there really isn't a difference in lens size. where there is a difference is in body size the NEX tend to be smaller than 4/3 and it makes the lenses look bigger if you see them on the camera with nothing else to
...Show more

Why did you pick the panasonic kit and not the olympus one:
http://camerasize.com/compact/#289.92,33.88,ha,t

Or the new Panasonic version of the same:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#289.374,33.88,ha,t

And you forget the 14 mm f2.5:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#289.5,33.369,ha,t

I think you are also only looking at the size of the lens + body. A few of your examples shows the m4/3 lens being actually smaller. If the body size is an issue one can always use the smaller m4/3 bodies.

Like so:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#382.92,34.88,ha,t

So no not always smaller in lens size or size of the camera and lens together and some m4/3 lens might be bigger or similar size to the NEX equal. But you have the option to get a collection of lenses that are smaller. And that is part of the point of these systems. And if you add the size differences of the telephotos it means that you can potentially use a smaller bag for a m4/3 system than you would with an NEX system.

Feb 08, 2013 at 04:50 AM
gotak
• •
p.2 #14 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

mawz wrote:
IBIS is nice, but accurate focusing is more important than stabilization. And frankly IBIS doesn't do much for some of us, I've owned a number of IBIS-equipped bodies and currently shoot a NEX-7 with the ZA 24 and adapted lenses and I don't even notice the lack of IS. But then again I have rather steady hands and don't shoot long-lens stuff handheld.

There's IBIS and there's the new IBIS in the OM-D or E-PL5. There is a difference.

People often say they are so steady and don't need IS but here's an example of where it helps:

3 shoot HDR no tripod. And if you want to see the full sized you are welcome to this is no motion blurred HRD that can only be shown to people in small size.

Photo in full size

Feb 08, 2013 at 04:56 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

gotak wrote:
Why did you pick the panasonic kit and not the olympus one:
http://camerasize.com/compact/#289.92,33.88,ha,t

Or the new Panasonic version of the same:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#289.374,33.88,ha,t

because i was aiming to show there is nothing inherently smaller about equivalent lenses. you'll note i mention that the olympus is much smaller in my post prior to showing the examples. i could not tell which panasonic was the new one from the name and just picked randomly.

gotak wrote:
And you forget the 14 mm f2.5:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#289.5,33.369,ha,t

no i didn't. you didn't look at my post very carefully, the pany 14/2.5 is in there too.

gotak wrote:
I think you are also only looking at the size of the lens + body. A few of your examples shows the m4/3 lens being actually smaller. If the body size is an issue one can always use the smaller m4/3 bodies.

Like so:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#382.92,34.88,ha,t

i also mention this in my post. to me the size of the whole kit is most important and you were mentioning size of the kit in your post that i responded to. 4/3 has slightly smaller lenses and slightly larger bodies. i view this as a wash. i chose the om-d and NEX-6 because the OP is asking about those two cameras, but even your comparison with the smaller 4/3 camera doesn't show any significant difference in the size between the two kits (i would've used the NEX-C3 if i was trying to make the smallest kit for both).

gotak wrote:
So no not always smaller in lens size or size of the camera and lens together and some m4/3 lens might be bigger or similar size to the NEX equal.

yes

gotak wrote:
But you have the option to get a collection of lenses that are smaller. And that is part of the point of these systems. And if you add the size differences of the telephotos it means that you can potentially use a smaller bag for a m4/3 system than you would with an NEX system.

you can make a kit with either brand that is smaller than possible with the other if you choose lenses appropriately. it is not the case that 4/3 is always much smaller or even smaller most of the time. either could be smaller depending on your focal length preferences. it is certainly not the case that most of the NEX lens lineup make it almost as big as a dslr, which was your claim that i was responding to.

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:34 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

gotak wrote:
There's IBIS and there's the new IBIS in the OM-D or E-PL5. There is a difference.

+1

oly's IBIS is much more useful and effective than sony's in my experience. i have steady hands and found oly's to be very helpful while sony's dslr IBIS didn't help me much.

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:38 AM
Makten
• • • •
p.2 #17 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

The OM-D is a great camera and there are several fantastic MFT lenses. However, I really didn't like the sensor and sold it. The NEX-5N I had before did better in most respects regarding sensor related IQ.

Feb 08, 2013 at 06:09 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

sebboh wrote:
+1

oly's IBIS is much more useful and effective than sony's in my experience. i have steady hands and found oly's to be very helpful while sony's dslr IBIS didn't help me much.

I have to disagree, for my shooting IBIS only really comes in handy when I'm already down around 1/15 in terms of shutter speed, I might get a stop out of it at best because at 1/8 or below no IS system can keep up. Due to this I haven't found any difference in IBIS implementations with the exception of the Pentax K-x, where the IBIS did zilch. At higher shutter speeds with my usual wider lenses it just doesn't add enough to matter to my shooting. Note my experience is the same for lens IS, I've forgotten to turn IS or IBIS back on and not noticed for days, even when processing my images.

I'm sure the OM-D's IBIS is better than Sony's (which by all reports is the least effective of the three systems, with Pentax in the middle aside from the K-x/r/m which have the worst IBIS implementation of all), I'm also sure it's not going to do much for me. That said, it would probably be different if I was primarily shooting f4-5.6 zooms rather than f1.8-2.8 widish to short tele primes.

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:45 PM
bcaslis
• • •
p.2 #19 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

I don't know why anyone would compare the Sony DSLR IBIS to the OM-D. That is not what the NEX uses, it uses OSS in the lenses. I've had both and it seems to me they are basically equal with the lenses I've tried.

Feb 08, 2013 at 03:15 PM
Isosceles

p.2 #20 · OM-D E-M5 or NEX-6 - Which would you pick?

I have OM-D and before that i had the nex-5n.
Reasons why i would now take the NEX-6 instead of the OM-D.

-Smaller size and better grip
-Bigger sensor and better image ratio
-Better video quality and more framerate options
-Better "software", in camera panorama/HDR etc.( bugs me big time that OM-D has crappy "art modes" but no panorama)
-Hybrid autofocus, i would not even consider buying mirrorless camera with only contrast based af.

Olympus has better..

-image stabilation in video
-weather sealed(but how many lenses have it maybe 2?) so pretty useless.
-wide range of m4/3 lenses (but Sony has got also pretty good choices 24mm 1.8, 35mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8)

Feb 08, 2013 at 03:49 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password