Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · *********Pricing for Corporate job ASAP**************

littleme
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · *********Pricing for Corporate job ASAP**************

I have worked before for large corporate entities like Hershey Foods etc, and typically have a third party (usually pr firm) negotiating with me to work out pricing. I have to get a quote to Volvo ASAP about a half day job photographing an event with 800 people in attendance. There will be a cake, speeches, candid photos etc. They will want a disc and rights to post on their blog, newsletters, send to the newspaper, etc.

I photograph weddings (which are quite similar with speeches, cake, candids of large groups, etc) and would charge $3750 to do a "shoot and burn" for a wedding client for full day, so was considering charging half that at $1875, since it's half day. They also want next day turn around time, and wedding clients don't see their images for a month, so I'd consider charging more-- or at least keeping it just under 2k. My biz partner thinks that is too much and would quote closer to $900 plus tax. For my last job with Hershey which was a week long event I was paid a little over 2k daily, which is where he's getting the "keep it under 1k" from, but that was a week of guaranteed work-- I viewed it as more of a "bulk discount". I would like to work with volvo in the future and will do an excellent job covering their event. What do you suggest?

I have worked with Volvo in the past to do corporate head shots when I was just starting out with commercial work and charged them $200 an hour with a minimum of 2 hours. I don't think they are expecting the same rate for this type of work, but thought I'd throw that out there.

Feb 06, 2013 at 01:18 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · *********Pricing for Corporate job ASAP**************

I would price it hourly plus expenses and include your editing/retouching time. Maybe add a bit to your past $200 for inflation if it's been several years.

Feb 06, 2013 at 01:28 PM
littleme
• •
p.1 #3 · *********Pricing for Corporate job ASAP**************

The opinion of a blogger in my general area on hourly rates:
1. $250 is a garbage rate that low end companies pay recent grads/newbs.
2. $350 for a moderately reputable studio
3. $550 for a more established freelance shooter setting the prices, often hired by higher end studios
4. $800+ usually for someone who runs their own business or is fairly well known and stable in getting freelance work for a living and fully geared.

^ Please son't let this discourage you from posting, it's just his opinion. I am stable, fully geared, established freelancer-- puts me between 500 & 800 in his eyes, I'd favor 5, which would be 2k and maybe price just under that... opinions are welcome... I'd love to hear from you!

Feb 06, 2013 at 01:33 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · *********Pricing for Corporate job ASAP**************

Present 3 options, all varying in how many hours and/or deliverables. Make it easy for them to choose what type of coverage they want, rather than just saying "$X, take it or leave it".

So have your lowest point of entry, a mid option, and a top option that actually makes sense to choose, rather than a top option that makes the mid package look like the best choice.

Feb 06, 2013 at 03:40 PM
littleme
• •
p.1 #5 · *********Pricing for Corporate job ASAP**************

^ smart

would you vary the hours of coverage and delivered images? They have already specified half day and haven't seemed to care about number of images yet.

$1100 2 hours, 10 images

$1250 3 hours, 20 images

$1400 4 hours, 40 images

Feb 06, 2013 at 03:47 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · *********Pricing for Corporate job ASAP**************

I'm not sure how events perceive their need of photography, but I don't think its necessary to mention a # of images. The hours is good though. I'd start at higher hours, like 3-5-7 hours?

Feb 06, 2013 at 04:01 PM
littleme
• •
p.1 #7 · *********Pricing for Corporate job ASAP**************

Its a 2.5 hour event-- even if I get there early to photograph the cake, etc I'll have nothing to do. Commercial jobs seem to care a lot about # of images and specifically retouched images from my experience, so that's why I threw that in.

$1250 3 hours, 20 images, 3 day turn around
$1400 4 hours, 40 images, next day turn around

Feb 06, 2013 at 04:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

littleme
• •
p.1 #8 · *********Pricing for Corporate job ASAP**************

A big thank you to John and Spencer...

I ended up with this:
Up to 3 hours, 20 images, image delivery in two business days: $1050
Up to 4 hours, 30 images, next day image delivery: $1300

It's slightly lower than I wanted but they are a locally located, international company that I would like to get future business from. Hopefully this appeals to them

Feb 06, 2013 at 05:19 PM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #9 · *********Pricing for Corporate job ASAP**************

It's not really a commercial job if it's an event... I don't think "retouching" (as in, heavy local edits) or quantity of shots is really the deal.

It's a big company. I'd skip quoting hourly too.

Half day, full day, extra hours for crazy long day.

Feb 07, 2013 at 06:51 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #10 · *********Pricing for Corporate job ASAP**************

A half day IMO should be priced a closer to 70% of your full day.

Feb 08, 2013 at 05:09 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #11 · *********Pricing for Corporate job ASAP**************

If I turned in a bid offering only 40 images from a event (trade show /convention) they would laugh at me. The clients I get want a lot of images. Color corrected and good exposure but not portraits. Just clean ready to use shots documenting the event. They want volume along with a handful of few key images cropped and what I call more detailed post procession. Usually the CEO giving a few awards out. The rest are used just for fill and web site promo about the next year trade show.
No way I could get event rates close to what you are listing in my area.

Feb 08, 2013 at 11:02 PM
pmiller228

p.1 #12 · *********Pricing for Corporate job ASAP**************

jefferies1 wrote:
If I turned in a bid offering only 40 images from a event (trade show /convention) they would laugh at me. The clients I get want a lot of images. Color corrected and good exposure but not portraits. Just clean ready to use shots documenting the event. They want volume along with a handful of few key images cropped and what I call more detailed post procession. Usually the CEO giving a few awards out. The rest are used just for fill and web site promo about the next year trade show.
No way I could get event rates close to
...Show more

This has been exactly my experience as well. I deliver 200-250 color corrected/good exposure images over a two day event. Not that I want to deliver that many, that is just what is expected.

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:02 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #13 · *********Pricing for Corporate job ASAP**************

Agree with pmiller and jefferies: if this is corporate event photography (as opposed to corporate photography, where portraits or product shots are the whole point), the number of deliverable images per hour is closer to 60-80 (i.e., a three-hour shoot produces 180-250 images). It's analogous to photographing a wedding reception, with speeches, cakes and/or ribbon cuttings, and other minor events, plus happy people shots, usually for use in internal communications and possibly one or two images for external editorial use.

Not a lot of retouching -- just good color correction and basic polishing.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Michael White
• • •
p.1 #14 · *********Pricing for Corporate job ASAP**************

In addition to the three option base rate plan let them know that additional services products will be available and the price for that. One such addition would be the next day turn around for delivery as that will mean after the half day of setting up, shooting and tear down then travel back to you post area then the 8-12 hours spent on post would mean that you would get very little sleep that day.

I did some two day events where I shot certian group photos plus action photo on day one took orders from clients and showed up the next day with those sale printed and ready to deliver the day twos work was mailed out. I got very little sleep after arriving at the hotel carring the post pro gear plus camera gear in and setting it up, getting something to eat then head back to the room for several hours of setting the laptop and printer up doing the post adding the special garfish to the group photos and calibrating the printer top work with the laptop always a setting off once you figure out that you start the assembly line work of processing the individual images and packages.

If I could find a good salesman who could do post while I shot thing would work out better. Trying to sale from a website days later you loose a lot of sale that you would have gotten on site.

Feb 26, 2013 at 09:19 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password