Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       7       end

DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

snapsy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

D. Diggler wrote:
I'm not following the discussion here regarding manual focus lenses ...

Can fine-tune adjustment values be set in the camera's menu for manual focus lenses?

Yes you can, the only issue is that when the camera or lens is in MF mode (or when using a MF lens), Nikon's firmware loosens the VF confirmation range of what is considered in-focus, making it less precise than when AF is enabled.

Mar 25, 2013 at 02:41 AM
Wickedfn4u
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

Nice job snapsy this just sounds so simple it cant be true. Nice to see it really does work.

Apr 14, 2013 at 04:25 AM
Wickedfn4u
• • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

OK I played around with this today and it seamed all my lenses were starting about 0 to -2 and going over -20. I was doing it at 50x and 2.8. What else am I missing? I even tired the default value like you suggested.

Apr 19, 2013 at 01:57 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

Wickedfn4u wrote:
OK I played around with this today and it seamed all my lenses were starting about 0 to -2 and going over -20. I was doing it at 50x and 2.8. What else am I missing? I even tired the default value like you suggested.

Are you keeping the body and lens in AF-enabled and using the shutter half-press to engage the VF focus confirmation? (via back-button focusing configuration of the camera)

Apr 19, 2013 at 05:51 AM
gfinlayson
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

Thanks for posting this guide and sharing your technique. I've tried all of my lenses on my D7000 and found a range of adjustments needed. Some were relatively minor, but one zoom needed consistently -13 across the range.

Tuning my D7100 later today.....

Apr 19, 2013 at 06:09 AM
Wickedfn4u
• • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

snapsy wrote:
Are you keeping the body and lens in AF-enabled and using the shutter half-press to engage the VF focus confirmation? (via back-button focusing configuration of the camera)

Yes, I set it to back af-on and left the body and lens in af mode. I focused in LV mode then used the shutter button.

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:01 PM
james.d53
• •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

Wickedfn4u wrote:
Yes, I set it to back af-on and left the body and lens in af mode. I focused in LV mode then used the shutter button.

I had this same problem except my lenses went plus instead of minus..

Apr 20, 2013 at 01:45 PM
gfinlayson
• • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

Wickedfn4u wrote:

A couple of my lenses gave me the same issue - I picked the midpoint as a starter, focused using the PDAF, then switched to Liveview AF to check how good the focus was. I then adjusted the AF fine tune so that PDAF gave the consistently sharpest result in Liveview.

Apr 20, 2013 at 06:54 PM
gfinlayson
• • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

Wickedfn4u wrote:

A couple of my lenses gave me the same issue - I picked the midpoint as a starter, focused using the PDAF, then switched to Liveview AF to check how good the focus was. I then adjusted the AF fine tune so that PDAF gave the consistently sharpest result in Liveview.

Apr 20, 2013 at 06:54 PM
Wickedfn4u
• • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

Yeah I am have absolutely the worst luck with it. I went back a day later to try fresh again in case I missed something. It was just as bad. My 400 started at +18 or something like that. In theory this sounds right but I can't get it to give me a range. I even tried just using default and could not get a range. Now I was only able to do the 400 at 25x because of space. I am not going to write it off until I can try some different lighting too. Just frustrating.

Apr 21, 2013 at 06:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

james.d53
• •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

+1

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:24 AM
blumesan

p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

I have just now viewed the YouTube video. In the last segment where you run thru the steps of a calibration using a Nikon D800, you begin at zero adjustment. The viewfinder indicator shows a flickering green dot with a RIGHT pointing arrow. You then proceed to change the adjustment by moving in a NEGATIVE direction. Unless I have misunderstood something this seems to contradict the written instructions:

" If you see the green arrow pointing to the left, then the camera+lens is back-focusing, so you need to decrease the value of AF tune (negative adjustment). If you see the green arrow pointing to the right, then the camera+lens is front-focusing, so you need to increase the value of AF tune (positive adjustment)."

Also, in one portion of the video, the screen text display is just opposite of the voice instruction regarding the correct direction to move, based on the arrows.

Please comment.

May 03, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Sern

p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

Maybe I missed it and I'll blame that on my medication, my D7000 manual says two things I worry about; first, "The camera may be unable to focus at minimum range or at infinity when AF tuning is applied"; second, "Tuning is not applied to autofocus during in live view (pg 49)"

Does this affect the outcome when fine tuning lenses? (Other than the first statement I mean)

Also, if you are using a DX body do you us "50*focal length*1.5" to get your distance from the subject when Fine tuning?

Thanks,
Sern

Jun 05, 2013 at 03:13 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

Live view autofocus is contrast-based, so it doesn't matter. The autofocus fine tune is basically just an adjustment value for the entire phase detect autofocus system - phase detect system does its measurement, says "I'm (X) far off" so it adjusts the focus by (X + fine tune value).

The thing that makes the phase detect system so fast, though, is that it doesn't constantly reevaluate focus during the adjustment. With a contrast system, it's constantly checking itself: "Adjust focus in a small increment. More or less contrast? More? Keep going. Less? Stop and go back." There's no tuning value to apply.

Jun 05, 2013 at 03:29 PM
Sern

p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

I know nothing about fine tuning, which may already be established from my earlier post and the OP doesn't give the settings one needs to set their camera to, other than AF on the body and lens and setting Back Focus. Does metering affects focus. I switched from spot to matrix then a left facing arrow came up which means I am back focusing, I believe.

Is there a more definitive explanation for doing this?

Jun 05, 2013 at 04:24 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

Metering should not affect focus. What that suggests to me is that you were right on the edge of the "acceptable" range, within the tolerance for error in focus or touching the camera or what have you.

The reason the OP doesn't give a metering setting is because metering shouldn't affect the outcome

Jun 05, 2013 at 04:31 PM
Sern

p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

Is my thinking right about the distance to subject with regards to a Dx body?

Thanks

Jun 05, 2013 at 04:36 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

Dx or Fx, the procedure is the same.

Jun 05, 2013 at 04:40 PM
Sern

p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

So distance to subject doesn't change from Fx to Dx bodies?

Jun 05, 2013 at 04:52 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

A foot is a foot. The only thing that changes is focal distance. On a Nikon Dx, a 200mm Fx lens behaves like a 300mm. (1.5 crop factor). I had no problems using DotTune on my D7000 when I shot AF lenses.

Jun 05, 2013 at 05:44 PM
       6       7       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

6       7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password