Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Simple shoreline HDR blend

Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Simple shoreline HDR blend

Hopefully going for a more natural look, let me know what you think.

Feb 05, 2013 at 02:25 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Simple shoreline HDR blend

In terms of a "natural looking" HDR, I think you did a pretty good job. I would not have assumed this was an HDR.

I think you have a little too much sharpening. Foreground grass and far-shore trees look a little too crispy and there are halos around the dock/pier elements.

Overall for the image, I like the clouds, the far shore, and the pier. I am less excited about the foreground grass. I don't know what constraining elements there might have been off the right of the frame but this is one that makes me really want a horizontal shot. Seeing a tiny bit more shadow detail in the far-shore trees might also be nice.

Feb 05, 2013 at 12:42 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Simple shoreline HDR blend

I am with Dennis.
Looks natural.
Over-sharpened.
Feels rotated but so hard to know with uneven shorelines.
Pretty cqpture but no clear point of interest as presented.
If you crop some of the grass, maybe placing the stone line right in the lower right corner, the image then becomes more about the pier, post and clouds and pulls the eye deeper into the scene IMO.
Scott

Feb 05, 2013 at 01:20 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Simple shoreline HDR blend

I agree with Eyeball about the HDR and sharpening.

What is the subject? There are three distinct regions in the photo. There are the clouds, the most interesting thing in the photo, the water and pier and the grass foreground.

The grass and seawall take up a fair amount of the frame, but they are uninteresting. They don't lead you to any other area of the photo. The pier is nothing special, not visually interesting. The single pole in the water grabs the most attention by its placement and its contrast with its surroundings, but its just an unattractive stick in the water. Also, the shoreline is in the center of the frame creating a static composition.

The shoreline and clouds are visually the most interesting items in the photo, but they are relegated to the background. For me the photo would be a different capture, a horizontal cropped so that there's just a little water at the bottom of the frame. I don't see how this image can be cropped successfully.

Feb 05, 2013 at 01:23 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #5 · Simple shoreline HDR blend

Thinking about it, I didn't sharpen anything at all, but I did do a blend ,using the sky and then layered in the distant shoreline right up to the foreground grass,and the layered in part was right from a RAW image. Maybe too much clarity was used, I thinkI used a setting of 65.
I loved the clouds, but wanted to hae something go with them in the image.
So I guess the subject was the clouds with something thrown in , as clouds by themselves don't really have a lot of interest.
Really glad it didn't look like an HDR though !

Feb 05, 2013 at 02:36 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Simple shoreline HDR blend

+1 @ others.

Took a stab at a few things ...

Feb 05, 2013 at 03:57 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Simple shoreline HDR blend

Taking out the single pole helped tremendously.
Much more balanced composition now, too.
Keeps the clouds in starring role with far shore and pier as supporting actors.
I like it.

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:06 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Simple shoreline HDR blend

Kent:
Nice crop (pretty close to what I had in mind, great minds.....)
Removing the pole really did help quite a bit.
Scott

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:26 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Simple shoreline HDR blend

sbeme wrote:
great minds.....

Thanks.

Works for me, back at ya ...

Feb 05, 2013 at 05:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #10 · Simple shoreline HDR blend

I keep hearing the same theme "What is the Subject?". If your doing an animal or person, they become the central and only subject.
But with a land or seascape, I'm finding it rather difficult, as I usually try and have one or two elements either working together or at odds.
Seascapes I find very interesting because the skies and sea or often competing for attention.
Plus theres always so much going on, some things sort of sneak into an image , and take attention away.
Take the single pole in the image, yes the image looks better without it, but anyone in the area would know it was cloned out, because there familiar with that particular area.
Myself I would have to leave it in, because to me it would be just "wrong" without it. But as has been said it looks much better without it.

Feb 05, 2013 at 05:24 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Simple shoreline HDR blend

Bsmooth wrote:
Take the single pole in the image, yes the image looks better without it, but anyone in the area would know it was cloned out, because there familiar with that particular area.

Sneak out one night and cut off the pole.

Feb 05, 2013 at 05:32 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Simple shoreline HDR blend

Eyeball wrote:
Taking out the single pole helped tremendously.
Much more balanced composition now, too.
Keeps the clouds in starring role with far shore and pier as supporting actors.
I like it.

Thanks Dennis,

I tried to gradually pull the eye up from the bottom through the scene up to the cloud (per the OP's interest @ main character).

Part of that was with the crop/rebalance as well as the removal/reduction of competing elements (pole, stone @ left edge, grass mass/tone, blue cast in masonry), and lighten the treeline a touch to help "pull you up" but hopefully not so much to compete with the clouds. Here's the pole back in for comparison.

BTW ... curious to see the image(s) you started with for your natural looking HDR effort.

Feb 05, 2013 at 05:59 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Simple shoreline HDR blend

I like the way you composed the elements but find the HDR over done and unnatural for my tastes. YMMV. My processing comparison baseline is "normal" = as seen by eye. This one doesn't pass the "looks normal" test so for me and because of that the HDR processing distracts rather than adds to the story of the content.

I like it but find myself thinking more about why it seems surreal than the content. That is likely due to your subject line. Next time don't reveal how it was done when posting just post and ask for impression and the feedback will be more objective. Not knowing how it was done I would say it has more contrast and separation than I'd expect to see in person and it is overly sharpened with USM in post processing.

Feb 07, 2013 at 07:47 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Simple shoreline HDR blend

As Chuck and others mentioned @ oversharpened ... it does have me wondering if it is a case of being sharpened well for print size ... but then being too "crunchy" for the screen resize. Just something to be aware of that can happen at times.

Feb 07, 2013 at 02:18 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #15 · Simple shoreline HDR blend

No sharpening used at all, just Clarity in RAW, Maybe I overdid it a tad. I wasn't going to put in anything about HDR either, but I'd rather be upfront about it. Some people won't even look at it at all because of that, which is fine.
I always like going into something knowing as much about how the image was takenand processed. But it was an HDR and also blended as well. I'm finding I can get the best of bothe worlds that way, at least in some images.
Thanks for the critique, and good to know about the sharpening, although I must admit this image posted here doesn't exactly look like the original, maybe its from posting on Flickr, and using that for my source and storage.

Feb 07, 2013 at 02:40 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Simple shoreline HDR blend

No worries @ what's posted here. What matters most is what you have on your end to work with. The feedback is for your benefit, not ours.

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:45 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Simple shoreline HDR blend

Flickr and some other hosting sites will add sharpening when they re-size the image. Sometimes you can avoid that by uploading the image with exactly the pixel dimensions you want for web display (rather than uploading a larger image and letting the site downsize it). It's not always practical to do that and some sites may re-sample anyway but it is an alternative you may want to be aware of.

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:59 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password