Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

neilvan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

I have found the best solution to be handlebar tape for bicycles. I have been an avid cyclist for 25+ years and use Cinelli Cork Gel bar tape. It is extremely durable (and weather resistant), very comfortable and not as bulky and messy as pipe insulation/duct tape.

I have used it for years with various tripods. I just wrapped two of my GT3532LS legs a couple of months ago. I bought the LegCoats to try them out and wish I hadn't...$40 wasted.

This is where I buy my bike stuff but you can find the stuff in most decent bike shops around the globe. You can have your choice of colours!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25854

One side of it has adhesive to make the process easier but it's a good idea to 'stretch' it a little as you are putting it on. I finish off the ends with a little electrical tape. I can share a photo if you like...

Feb 11, 2013 at 03:59 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

I guess that provides good grip, but not much padding for the shoulders.

EBH

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:46 AM
neilvan
• •
p.2 #3 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

I actually find it to be more comfortable than the LegCoats I bought, you would be surprised how much padding the 1/8th of cork and the additional gel provides. Mind you, I only carry my tripod on my shoulder for no more than five kilometers, anything longer and I just strap it to my backpack.

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:53 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

TheBearman wrote:
No comments on Aquatech wraps?

actually was going to look into them a photo plus last October but got caught up in about 5 other things and completely forgot about them. thanks for reminding me for this fall.

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:44 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

neilvan wrote:
I actually find it to be more comfortable than the LegCoats I bought, you would be surprised how much padding the 1/8th of cork and the additional gel provides. Mind you, I only carry my tripod on my shoulder for no more than five kilometers, anything longer and I just strap it to my backpack.

is that 5km with camera and long lens or just the tripod itself?

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:45 PM
Strobo
• •
p.2 #6 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

sjms wrote:
yes it does stay in place if the user knows how to do it right. evidently I do.

I found that carrying a larger tripod over my shoulder with telephoto and camera attached caused the foam to creep over time. It's durability has little to do with your brilliant ability to follow installation directions; it has more to do with the materials being used not being able to withstand load and stresses over time.

Feb 12, 2013 at 08:15 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

oh I never said anything about following instructions now. I did find their method pretty much inadequate for long term use. being that I work in an industry that deals with stresses both immediate and over time I have managed to get them to both stay in place and be reasonably easy to remove both immediate and over time. and the foam itself holds up real well with the covers on once applied properly.

Feb 12, 2013 at 08:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dolina
• • • •
p.2 #8 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

My Lenscoat Wraps arrived and I am starting to wonder if I got the right set. It appears to be 2-3" short or is it really meant to be this way. I got the LegCoat® Wraps 510 Black (set of 3) spec'd by Lenscoat.com for the GT5541LS.

Untitled by alabang, on Flickr

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:12 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

enjoy.

I do have a set of those on my TQC14 but that is for much lighter gear and does cover its full upper leg section.

remember it is primarily for shoulder carry.

Feb 14, 2013 at 02:59 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.2 #10 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

I wish Lenscoat wouldn't use one photo for all it's Legcovers & Wraps. It gave the impression that these cover the whole length of section.

Feb 14, 2013 at 03:24 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

i'm actually surprised it doesn't. have you called them and enquired about it?

Feb 14, 2013 at 03:28 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.2 #12 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

Paulo,

I would call them and ask about this. I have the legcoat wrap for my tvc-34L, and as you can see, the entire leg section, except for 1.5 inches, is covered. This is the wrap 514 for TVC-34L. Next to that is a 5541LS for comparison. It has a shorter leg section, so there probably is a size of wrap that covers all or most of the leg section.

Sorry for the crappy iPhone pic.

Feb 14, 2013 at 04:45 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.2 #13 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

sjms & mitesh

I emailed lenscoat but my problem is these were bought on my behalf by a friend at the retail shop of BH Photo last week. I just asked him to buy the set for me because I am currently in the Philippines.

I also bought another LegCoat Wraps 310 Black (set of 3) for my GT3541LS but I fear that this problem would still persist. What is worse is that my tripod legs are located a good 350 miles away from me so I have no way of testing.

mitesh perhaps I should've gone with the 514 that you have instead of the 510 that was recommended but I chose the wraps based on the recommendation of BH and Legscoat. No need to apologize. I also used an iPhone to take a photo of my Legcoat.

Feb 15, 2013 at 02:51 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.2 #14 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

I got a reply. It's normal. I am impressed that someone from Lenscoat answers at 10:40pm NJ time.

Feb 15, 2013 at 03:44 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password