FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Building a PC

ilikeglass
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Building a PC

gabimaster wrote:
You could save some money choosing a smart configuration (powerful but not expensive) :
3570K Ivy Bridge i5 CPU , a 120-180 Gb Intel 520 SSD(for the OS) , 2X HDD 1Tb (choose WD RE 4 if you want to configure it in RAID), 16 gB Ram DDR3 1600 (2X 8gb), an ASUS or Gigabyte motherboard with Z77 chipset, a graphic card with Nvidia GTX 660 GPU it should be enough, and "voila",a powerful PC for a decent amount of money. A Dell U 2412h should complete your PC (don't forget about the case,a DVD-WR and a good PSU ).

I built a system about 6 months ago with a 3570k. There is no benefit of using a video card with LR with this processor and a good motherboard. I'm sticking with mechanical hard drives for now.

* As mentioned get a quality PSU - high efficiency and not much larger than you need. 500w is fine.
* Memory 4x4GB (total 16GB) is optimal.
* P77 motherboard. Don't skimp - go for Asus, Gigabyte, etc.
*For the CPU get an aftermarket cooler. I still like air as opposed to liquid cooling. Hyper 212 EVO is the best price point.

One more thing - be careful with the pins on Intel processor - i7/i5. They are 45 degree angle - tiny, delicate, easy to bend.

I like Hardforums.com for hardware advice. Good luck!

Feb 07, 2013 at 04:05 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Building a PC

Intel Cherryville 240GB SSD installed this evening. Retail kit is beautifully packaged, including all cables. Mounting SSD into a 3.5" space requires the metal bracket and two set of screws (it's a class act when the vendor supplies five (5) mounting screws per set, each in a small ziplock bag). SSD case is metal - very nice. Oh, yeah, performance is much better than vanilla HDD. Following figures are on Linux, latest Slackware, no user files. Full directory scan with find is 5s vs 110s, f/s check with fsck is 11s (half of that CPU) vs 110s. Complete root f/s transfer was 450s to read it into the cache - I have a lot of RAM - and 17s for writing onto SSD for an aggragate rate of 375MB/s. I guess something was compressible in those 280,000 files. When did Linux distros get so big? Sequential read directly off the SSD is 474MB/s. Will continue to use rotating media for local backups, but SSD is a guilty pleasure. Guilty because it's pricey, and because all the performance numbers are even higher out of RAM.

Feb 08, 2013 at 03:05 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Building a PC

For $25 less you could have had twice that speed at the same capacity and package dimensions.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1187066/0#11328222

Feb 08, 2013 at 03:23 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Building a PC

My next system will be based on a Raspberry Pi. LR 4 is going to be a cow with whatever I build anyway.

Feb 08, 2013 at 06:17 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Building a PC

Hmm, a cow? Maybe more like a dead horse? Ras Pi can't run LR any version at all from what I understand. There's only like 4 OS's you can get for it and none of them Run, Wine, or can VM any LR versions. Unless I read their website wrong you're out of luck. But that would be cool if the thing ran Windows or OS X or something. Until then you'll be using The Gimp or something similar.

Feb 08, 2013 at 02:36 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Building a PC

Wine for Android is in the works.
http://www.androidcentral.com/wine-android-demoed-fosdem

Feb 08, 2013 at 04:52 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Building a PC

There's an argument for cores if you batch process with suitable software. I just benchmarked my boxes, old versus new. Elapsed time per image was a factor of 80! Old box of 2000 vintage has two Pentium III 933Mhz Coppermine (single core of course). New box has two Xeon SandyBridgeEP 2.4GHz (turbo) with 8 cores each. Hyperthreading in this application with heavy floating-point is giving an additional 4 cores equivalent per CPU. Realizing the multithreaded maximum performance is easiest with independent processes, rather than relying on algorithms to boost a sequential process.

Feb 09, 2013 at 01:14 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Building a PC

Bifurcator,
That's some impressive speeds displayed in your chart. Are you plugging these drives straight into the mother board or do they need to go to an adaptor or a bridge (occupying a PCI-e slot)? Also, how loud are they? I've dealt with drives that sound like jets preparing for takeoff.

Second question. Can the mSATA devices mentioned above be made to work in a MacPro?

To the OP, haven't build a box in some time as I'm taking the approach of buying older machines and bumping them up. It actually comes out - for me - cheaper particularly if I count my time as having any value.

I echo the words of others, get the best power supply and case you can. Back when I still supported Windows owners I can tell you how many times it was the PS that took the machine down.

Robert

Feb 09, 2013 at 01:03 PM
Ray Still
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Building a PC

Just ordered couple days ago for a new build go with 32GB of RAM this time around actually have 3 250GB SSD coming thinking I'll use the Samsung 840 250 GB SSD for OS then one of the crucial SSD for all photo editing programs.
Going to use my existing video card and power supply as well as optical drives.
will be interesting to run some benchmark speed test

Ray Still

Feb 09, 2013 at 05:30 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Building a PC

WAYCOOL wrote:
Wine for Android is in the works.
http://www.androidcentral.com/wine-android-demoed-fosdem

It still will not run LR tho. No Wine runs LR AFAIK.

OntheRez wrote:
Bifurcator,
That's some impressive speeds displayed in your chart. Are you plugging these drives straight into the mother board or do they need to go to an adaptor or a bridge (occupying a PCI-e slot)? Also, how loud are they? I've dealt with drives that sound like jets preparing for takeoff.

Four are plugged in directly to the MB headers and two are mounded under the DVD/CD drive up top. For those two I'm using the two undocumented SATA connectors on the MB and getting power to them by spitting it out from the DVD/CD power connector.

On the noise; the seagate site will have the specs in db so you will know exactly but I can't hear them at all after they spin up. During spin-up which lasts about 1.5 seconds, I hear a low db ramped whining sound, a couple of head-seeks, and then nothing - even with the fans set to Apple default, still nothing. Accessing the drives after that I can't hear anything either. I mean I can't hear the head seeks during heavy access - only at start-up. I suppose if I pressed my ear to the box I could, haven't tried it. And I guess if there were some fragments where the drive had to rapidly seek back and forth between the inner-most and outer-most cylinders then I'd hear it too - not sure tho.

Second question. Can the mSATA devices mentioned above be made to work in a MacPro?

Sure, just place them in that adapter, place the adapter in the sled, and plug it in. Check the dimensions on the manufacturers site to make sure before buying but I think it's all standard these days. In the worst case you might need to add those little extender screws - like some cases use as motherboard spacers.

To the OP, haven't build a box in some time as I'm taking the approach of buying older machines and bumping them up. It actually comes out - for me - cheaper particularly if I count my time as having any value.

I echo the words of others, get the best power supply and case you can. Back when I still supported Windows owners I can tell you how many times it was the PS that took the machine down.

Robert

The PSU int he 2006 and 2008 Mac Pro is somewhere between 1,200 and 1,400 watts BTW - depending on batch I think. I don't remember exactly the efficiency in mine but it's something ridiculous like 98% or something.

BTW, you want to get at least the 2008 model. The 2006 models while better in some ways, have 32bit EFI on board and the highest OS available therefore is 10.7.5.... no 10.8. I think if you install Windows on it then that's not relevant tho - I forget.

I think both the 2008 and the 2006 can accept 128GB of RAM by using 16GB DIMMs. The most I've seen tested however, is 64GB using 8GB modules. And of course Apple says they are limited to just the upgrade kits they sell which is 16GB using 2GB modules -

Feb 09, 2013 at 07:00 PM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.