3       end

Archive 2013 · Best mirrorless option for macro

mawz
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Best mirrorless option for macro

mh2000 wrote:
Why not just get a Canon DSLR if you are going to mount the 100L on it

Because no Canon APS-C DSLR can match the IQ of a NEX body, the FF options are at least as expensive (used 5DmII) to more than twice as expensive and the LV implementations suck in comparison to the NEX (which in Canon's defence doesn't mean they don't have the best LV implementations in a DSLR, but just that LV on a DSLR is a hack and cannot compare in performance to a native LV body like Mirrorless or SLT systems).

The 100L is an excellent lens and offers IS. If you don't need IS there's a lot of better options for the NEX bodies at a similar or lower cost.

Feb 03, 2013 at 10:42 PM
chupacabra31
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Best mirrorless option for macro

mawz wrote:
Because no Canon APS-C DSLR can match the IQ of a NEX body, the FF options are at least as expensive (used 5DmII) to more than twice as expensive and the LV implementations suck in comparison to the NEX (which in Canon's defence doesn't mean they don't have the best LV implementations in a DSLR, but just that LV on a DSLR is a hack and cannot compare in performance to a native LV body like Mirrorless or SLT systems).

The 100L is an excellent lens and offers IS. If you don't need IS there's a lot of better options for
...Show more

yet snap sort seems to suggest otherwise if you look here it says the d5200 beats in image quality? No disrespect to your statement, would just like to know the facts.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D5200-vs-Sony-NEX-7

Feb 04, 2013 at 12:04 PM
CalW
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Best mirrorless option for macro

Here is another favorite from the GF1 and Pana-Leica 45mm f/2.8. The morning glory flower was back-lit by full sun. Hand-held using in-lens OIS. Remember, this was taken with a little 11 ounce camera that now sells used for less than $200... All of this time seeking "the best" equipment, you could spend having fun with any of the suggestions made above. But I still think the E-M5 and Oly 60mm is currently your best bet.

Morning Glory

Feb 04, 2013 at 07:50 PM
chupacabra31
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Best mirrorless option for macro

CalW wrote:
Here is another favorite from the GF1 and Pana-Leica 45mm f/2.8. The morning glory flower was back-lit by full sun. Hand-held using in-lens OIS. Remember, this was taken with a little 11 ounce camera that now sells used for less than $200... All of this time seeking "the best" equipment, you could spend having fun with any of the suggestions made above. But I still think the E-M5 and Oly 60mm is currently your best bet.

I agree so hand over your gear! Lol

But seriously I do have gear currently and what I shoot is not in season. I have been wanting to upgrade for while now. I get awesome results from my gear and of course I believe in the whole "its not so much the gear as it is the photographer" I think that I have seen the limits of my gear and pushed it as far as it will go for the kind of photography I enjoy and at this point would not mind trying to tweak the gear. I am using a nikon d300s and 12 megapixels is fine, but not great, the noise is okay but again not great, and over all the image quality is great but not awesome like what I have seen from the mirrorless options or even the newer aps-c's. When I purchased my D300s I was into a different kind of photography mainly extremely fast moving subjects and the ultimate Auto focus for my buck was my main priority not too mention I really needed to jump the Canon ship because of how horrible their customer service was at the time. Ramble over.

Feb 04, 2013 at 11:19 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Best mirrorless option for macro

mawz wrote:

The 100L is an excellent lens and offers IS. If you don't need IS there's a lot of better options for
...Show more

chupacabra31 wrote:

yet snap sort seems to suggest otherwise if you look here it says the d5200 beats in image quality? No disrespect to your statement, would just like to know the facts.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D5200-vs-Sony-NEX-7

The Nikon D5200 is not a Canon APS-C DSLR, and frankly that Nikon stomps all over the Canon APS-C bodies as well. No question the Nikon's are competitive with the NEX bodies in IQ, which is why I recommended the D5200 upthread as a potential option in a DSLR (Pentax DSLR's are also competitive).

The advantage of the NEX-7 over the D5200 is in the far superior LV implementation rather than IQ, the D5200 being a year newer has a slight IQ edge but the two are close enough that you're unlikely to see any difference (DXOMark ratings of 81 and 84 respectively). Conversely the EOS 650D/Rebel T4i rates a lowly 62 on DXOMark.

Feb 05, 2013 at 09:00 AM
ytwong
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Best mirrorless option for macro

One problem with D5200 for macro is that its vibration (I don't have D5200 but a D5000). If you need to take macro with a little longer shutter speed, it can become a problem.

I think OMD with the 60mm macro can be a great combo for macro, I think I often need more DOF rather then thinner DOF.

If you want mirrorless just because of their better LV implementation... you can consider Sony SLT cameras as well. You can have lots of lens to choose from (many are cheap and good too), availability of extension tubes, TC, good LV implementation, IBIS, good AF (ok, not that useful if you take macro shots ONLY).

Feb 05, 2013 at 11:58 AM
plasticmotif
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Best mirrorless option for macro

Live view never helped me when I was photographing bugs. There is rarely enough light to use ISO 100-200 and keep shutter speed above 125. You need a flash. Unless live view can compensate for light loss at smaller apertures a viewfinder is still required.

Of course, I photographed bugs. Not flowers with a bug on them. 1:1 or greater is where I lived.

http://macpointer.com/img/s10/v16/p428501231-4.jpg

Feb 05, 2013 at 03:28 PM
mh2000
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Best mirrorless option for macro

mawz wrote:

...Show more

I guess I'm not that anal... so the hair-slitting differences in Quality between the NEX and Canon is more than than made up for the simplicity of a system camera.

I shoot m43... so I can't claim to be shooting the "best" of anything, but I like it and can be very happy with my results.

Feb 05, 2013 at 03:40 PM
flashinm
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Best mirrorless option for macro

plasticmotif wrote:
Unless live view can compensate for light loss at smaller apertures a viewfinder is still required.

It can. I can focus using live view at 1:1 f11 and ISO 200 with the nex 7 just fine. Being able to hold the camera somewhere other than up to your eye is a big help in some situations as well.

Feb 05, 2013 at 03:41 PM
plasticmotif
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Best mirrorless option for macro

flashinm wrote:
It can. I can focus using live view at 1:1 f11 and ISO 200 with the nex 7 just fine. Being able to hold the camera somewhere other than up to your eye is a big help in some situations as well.

How does it do that?

Feb 05, 2013 at 03:57 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Best mirrorless option for macro

For all my macros, I've always used LV.
I would be totally lost with out LV.
I think the OP is correct in going mirrorless for macros.
I think the less weight is better.
While I like macro work, sometimes it is a huge hassle with my 5DMkII and a huge lens.
I sometimes use a macro rail, and sometimes a bellows as well.
That is a LOT of weight and bulk, especially with my Leica 100/2.8
And of course this all mounted on a tripod that will support this weight at weird angles.
I find it is almost impossible sometimes to get a fast capture of some changing subject.

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:27 PM
mh2000
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Best mirrorless option for macro

plasticmotif wrote:
How does it do that?

Have m43, but assume the NEX is the same with LV... you hit a button and the LCD gives you 100% crop for your focus point. If you are shooting with MF lens stopped down the camera will automatically gain up the image so you can see it if dark. Might be noisy, but can still be used for critical focus.

Agree that framing and focusing is better on LCD... if macro is your main purpose, I'd probably get camera with tilting screen.

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:36 PM
mh2000
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Best mirrorless option for macro

>>I would be totally lost with out LV

with 30 years experience with macro, LV was not even an option for most of this. LV is nice though.

When will these dinosaurs die off!

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:40 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Best mirrorless option for macro

Definitely a huge plus, hard to squat and play with gear, for me at least...

mh2000 wrote:
if macro is your main purpose, I'd probably get camera with tilting screen.

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:51 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Best mirrorless option for macro

mh2000 wrote:
I guess I'm not that anal... so the hair-slitting differences in Quality between the NEX and Canon is more than than made up for the simplicity of a system camera.

I shoot m43... so I can't claim to be shooting the "best" of anything, but I like it and can be very happy with my results.

Frankly the current m43 cameras equal or surpass the stuff that Canon is putting out in their APS-C line these days, unless you are shooting the 1st generation m43 stuff you probably are getting IQ comparable to Canon's Rebels, or better if you have one of the new 16MP bodies. But the difference in IQ from NEX to Rebel, the IQ difference between a NEX-7 and a T4i is comparable to the difference between that NEX-7 and a 5DmIII in the other direction (in fact the NEX-7 and 5DmIII have the same DXOMark rating due to the NEX-7's DR advantage offsetting the 5D's high ISO advantage, the OM-D comes in midway between the Rebel T4i and the NEX-7 and 5DmIII at a rating of 71).

I should note that while I have my issues with the DXOMark tests, they do provide a rough guide of performance, especially when there's significant differences in the ratings, like the NEX-7's 33% higher rating as compared to the T4i

Canon's APS-C line is generally known for mushy detail, mediocre colour and heavy-handed application of NR. Their FF bodies are FAR better. Frankly I don't see much reason to buy a Canon APS-C DSLR aside from the 7D (whose video capability makes it a compelling choice for some applications). Better to buy a used 5D or 5DmII for a similar price.

Feb 05, 2013 at 07:21 PM
mh2000
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Best mirrorless option for macro

Haven't shot a Canon APS since my 20D.

I am still shooting an E-P1 though, so it isn't as good as the OM-D... Waiting for the OM-D II to be released.

Sat out for the E-P2 and E-P3 since I don't care about a flash or fast AF... and my E-P1 has the same sensor.

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:04 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Best mirrorless option for macro

mh2000 wrote:
>>I would be totally lost with out LV

with 30 years experience with macro, LV was not even an option for most of this. LV is nice though.

When will these dinosaurs die off!

Never.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Feb 06, 2013 at 07:45 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Best mirrorless option for macro

mawz wrote:
Canon's APS-C line is generally known for mushy detail, mediocre colour and heavy-handed application of NR. Their FF bodies are FAR better. Frankly I don't see much reason to buy a Canon APS-C DSLR aside from the 7D (whose video capability makes it a compelling choice for some applications). Better to buy a used 5D or 5DmII for a similar price.

Having read a videographer review of various cameras, the 7D came in absolutely last, after the GH2 and other cameras. I would not buy a Canon APS-C DSLR period.

Feb 06, 2013 at 08:45 AM
briantho
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Best mirrorless option for macro

flashinm wrote:

I'm gearing up for some spring macro. Another tip is to use a flashlight to continuously light the subject. This is great for LV, and also increase your shutter speed. The problem is holding the flashlight in place. I'm assembling a "macro assistant", made with a gorillapod, a few manfrotto flex arms, manfrotto nano clamps/clips etc. The idea is to have several holding arms for positioning the subject and any flashlights, flashes, reflectors, or anything else you would normally need someone to hold for you.

Feb 06, 2013 at 10:32 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Best mirrorless option for macro

carstenw wrote:
Having read a videographer review of various cameras, the 7D came in absolutely last, after the GH2 and other cameras. I would not buy a Canon APS-C DSLR period.

There are better but most of the better options lack the wide system availability of the 7D, it's main advantages are in being capable, reasonably cheap and offering access to the wide level of support that shooting Canon offers, which the GH and NEX-VG systems lack. The downside is the typically mediocre Canon APS-C image/video quality.

Feb 06, 2013 at 09:57 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.