Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS for $519 shipped

tsdevine
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS for $519 shipped

My copy seems sharp across the frame, going to shoot more with it today to confirm. This may sound crazy, but I'll eat the $70...my luck I'd send it back and my next one would be a duff copy. (Although Lensrentals found there wasn't much variation between copies.)

-Tim

Feb 02, 2013 at 03:41 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS for $519 shipped

Peter -- Do you have any other 28mm in fixed or zoom? I was wondering how much better the new one seems to you. You seem very enthusiastic!

Tim -- I saw this lens at either B&H or Adorama recently for about $620 and commented that what seemed a very good price, so you must have bought near that. This $550 is just a great price. Sorry about that, but probably not worth the hassle of sending back and buying again.

I''m about ready to tip over and get one, so someone please tell me it's bad.

Edited on Feb 02, 2013 at 04:05 PM · View previous versions

Feb 02, 2013 at 03:53 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.2 #3 · Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS for $519 shipped

nice to see one of these new primes coming back to earth.

hold on a year and the new 35 will probably go under $700

Feb 02, 2013 at 04:00 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS for $519 shipped

goosemang wrote:
nice to see one of these new primes coming back to earth.

hold on a year and the new 35 will probably go under $700

? "back to earth" ? When were these IS models offered for lower prices, then rose in price, and now are coming down again? Seems like they were introduced in the traditional way -- at or near list price -- and have been coming down since then, as new offerings always do.

A year for the 35 IS to go down to $700, when these other two have gone down to $550-650 in 6 months (or less)?

Feb 02, 2013 at 04:10 PM
Cadaver
• •
p.2 #5 · Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS for $519 shipped

The old Canon 28mm 1.8 is $449 at Amazon. I'd MUCH rather have the new 2.8 version with the IS for just $100 more. And do any owners of this lens have any comments on how they like the IS?

Feb 03, 2013 at 04:32 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #6 · Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS for $519 shipped

The promotion is now finished...

Feb 03, 2013 at 06:03 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS for $519 shipped

Fred -- Thanks. I delayed and missed it. I was going to buy it tomorrow if it was still on.

Oh well, on to a price drop on the 35 IS down the line!

I may still pick up one of these at some point. I really like 28mm, going back to an FD I had with my old A1, and it's hard to find a worthwhile candidate with so many features.

Cadaver -- The reviews say the IQ and IS are pretty amazing.

Feb 03, 2013 at 06:30 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.2 #8 · Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS for $519 shipped

Gunzorro wrote:
Fred -- Thanks. I delayed and missed it. I was going to buy it tomorrow if it was still on.

I think we both know your heart wasn't into the 28mm - you really want that 35mm IS instead. Patience grasshopper

Feb 03, 2013 at 06:47 AM
Peter Kotsa
• •
p.2 #9 · Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS for $519 shipped

Hi Gunzorro,

yes I have a 16-35II, 24-70 and 24 TSE , all fall in the similar range.
The 24TSE is untouchable as far as sharpness across the entire range, however, in the centre, the new 28mm IS is brilliant.
I use it for street scape and portraits as well as general walk around, because of its compact size and weight.
If I wanted to use it for landscape where the corners are critical, I simply pull out the 24 TSE.
Every lens has its applications.

The 28 IS , is sharper than both the the 24-70 (version 1) and 16-35II @ 28mm.....

I just recently sold my 35L and purchased this 28 IS as I wanted a slightly wider walk around. I am extremely pleased with the results.
There is a considerable amount of vignegting at 2.8, but that absolutely suits my shooting style and subject matter. If not required you can easily remove that in post production.
I have a 58mm Zeiss T* polarizing filter permanently fixed on this lens, the results and colour is superb.

regards
Peter

Feb 03, 2013 at 10:47 AM
tsdevine
• • •
p.2 #10 · Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS for $519 shipped

I picked one up to fill out a prime landscape kit. I had mainly been using a Zeiss 21mm and 16-35 II. I picked up the Zeiss 15mm. So I now have 15, 21, 28, and 35 (the new Sigma) covered. When I want to travel a little lighter, I can substitute the new 40mm pancake for the Sigma.

So far from my limited shooting, the 28 looks pretty darn sharp (or at least sharp enough) even into the corners.

-Tim

Feb 03, 2013 at 01:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS for $519 shipped

snapsy wrote:
I think we both know your heart wasn't into the 28mm - you really want that 35mm IS instead. Patience grasshopper

You know me too well, Master! Yes, I do really want that 35! Still, . . . (Patience, Grasshopper!)

(Plus my wife was home looking over my shoulder! Well, in the same room and has the same Outlook notification on a purchase.)

Peter -- I have those same lenses, plus the original 28/2.8. That's what I was hoping to hear from both you and Tim, that the IQ was very good. From what I've been reading, it seems like it might be a little better than the renown 24-70L II, and that's pretty good for me, especially at f4.0 to f/8.0 shooting. It's definitely on my Want List still.

Tim -- Thanks -- I was imagining taking the 28 and the 40 as well for a small light walk around pair.

Feb 03, 2013 at 06:22 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #12 · Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS for $519 shipped

Gunzorro wrote:

Oh well, on to a price drop on the 35 IS down the line!

I may still pick up one of these at some point. I really like 28mm, going back to an FD I had with my old A1, and it's hard to find a worthwhile candidate with so many features.

Cadaver -- The reviews say the IQ and IS are pretty amazing.

It's your lucky day. For some reason, the special discount is back!

http://www.adorama.com/CA2828.html?emailprice=t

Feb 03, 2013 at 07:31 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS for $519 shipped

Fred -- Yay! You're the best!! I didn't see anywhere on the order where to give you credit for the sale (FM is not listed in the drop down "where did you find out about" field), so I hope you get a commission.

And coincidentally, my wife just left to the airport! Ha-ha!

snapsy -- Sorry, Master! I couldn't help it. By selling my 28/2.8, the final cost will only be around $400 -- can't pass that up. I'll have to put up a few of my lesser Leica R lenses to pay for the 35 IS when it comes on sale.

Feb 03, 2013 at 08:22 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #14 · Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS for $519 shipped

Gunzorro wrote:
Fred -- Yay! You're the best!! I didn't see anywhere on the order where to give you credit for the sale (FM is not listed in the drop down "where did you find out about" field), so I hope you get a commission.

And coincidentally, my wife just left to the airport! Ha-ha!

snapsy -- Sorry, Master! I couldn't help it. By selling my 28/2.8, the final cost will only be around $400 -- can't pass that up. I'll have to put up a few of my lesser Leica R lenses to pay for the 35 IS when it comes
...Show more

Got one too!

Feb 04, 2013 at 04:57 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS for $519 shipped

Great! That's an unbelievable discount off list price, with free shipping, no less!

From reading reviews, owner reports, looking at test shots, and glimpsing MTF charts, it looks like the 28 IS a winner and stronger (by a hair!) IQ than the 24 IS. It seems near-"L" IQ in a compact package. I'm anxious to find out.

I'm heading to Yosemite in later March, and you can be sure this lens will be along for the ride! I would make this my go-to trekking around lens, backed up by the 24 TS-E II, Samyang 14, and maybe one other. Last time I went, I shot most with the 24 TS-E and Leica R 60 macro, and least with the 14mm. After seeing your gorgeous El Capitan and Merced River shots, I may change -- perhaps there will be pooled water in the valley for some great reflections, demanding the 14. Or snow, and rain, with a little sun, like last time.

Feb 04, 2013 at 07:09 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #16 · Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS for $519 shipped

Yes, it will be fun shooting with a compact 28mm prime again! Post some pictures when you get yours.
I just got the word that the special price will end tomorrow.
Fred

Feb 04, 2013 at 08:48 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.2 #17 · Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS for $519 shipped

Just FYI, at B&H the 28 2.8 is $599. ($699 at Amazon)

Feb 04, 2013 at 09:04 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #18 · Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS for $519 shipped

mikeinctown wrote:
Just FYI, at B&H the 28 2.8 is $599. ($699 at Amazon)

B&H just lowered it today but it's still $50 more than the current Adorama price.

Feb 04, 2013 at 09:22 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.2 #19 · Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS for $519 shipped

I was reading a prior post that said the discount at Adorama was over. Looking at their site now, it shows $799.

Feb 05, 2013 at 02:49 AM
galenapass
• • • •
p.2 #20 · Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS for $519 shipped

mikeinctown wrote:
I was reading a prior post that said the discount at Adorama was over. Looking at their site now, it shows $799.

You have to click on Fred's link. Its there! Looks like it might be a special e-mail price?

Feb 05, 2013 at 02:57 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password