Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Insurance for camera equipment

cputeq
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Insurance for camera equipment

ISO1600 wrote:
Be careful having gear listed as (valuable) personal property with your regular insurance provider.
A few years back, I had my Canon gear under my USAA renter's policy. One of my lenses (16-35L) got heavily damaged in an accident. USAA refused to cover it because when investigating the claim they found my flickr and thought I was a professional photograher.
At the time, I was a Senior Airman (E-4, USAF) living in a dorm room at Kunsan AB, South Korea. I was not and had not been receiving any income of any sort via my photography, but they didn't believe me.
They even
...Show more

Wow bummer. I use USAA but I specifically have their separate valuable items policy for my camera gear. From my coworkers stories they don't even ask for a police report (crime) or send an inspector now, they just cut you a check but will cancel you after two or so claims. (Supposedly).

I do know I claimed a $180 lost B&W CPL and they had no problem paying but I then found it and told them to void their check (which was already at my home). I haven't had to claim anything pricier yet

Oh thanks for your service! E-7 USAF here (and was E-4 in Army before now). Four more years left until I can punch out . I did a year in Korea but at Camp Casey. What a dump

To the OP if you can use USAA for the policy I have they charge 1% of total value every year.

Feb 02, 2013 at 06:53 PM
PSBaxter
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Insurance for camera equipment

Tenn.Jer wrote:
I have a "personal Items" policy through State Farm, which has my home, auto, life, etc. insurance; it's remarkably cheap, about $300 a year for $20,000 in gear. But, it covers full replacement for theft or damage, even if I drop it into the river from my kayak. I could probably find it for less, but I live in a small town and have a good personal relationship with my agent, so I'm confident I'll be treated well if I need to use it. BTW, I'm a non-professional, and I know it's a different insurance world for pros...
Jerry

I have the same type of policy with State Farm for my eqipment and my wifes jewelry. It is very reasonable for an ameteur like myself. I do not think it will cover a pro's equipment.

Feb 06, 2013 at 06:23 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Insurance for camera equipment

If you search the archives, you'll find warnings not to put your photo gear on the same policy as your house. It's not worth the risk of getting your homeowner's insurance cancelled.

You'll also find a lot of recommendations (including mine) for Tom C. Pickard insurance. They specialize in photography insurance. I have $15K in gear coverage and $2 million liability for $500 per year: http://www.tcpinsurance.com/

Edited on Feb 06, 2013 at 08:27 PM · View previous versions

Feb 06, 2013 at 07:17 PM
ndirienzo
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Insurance for camera equipment

Yea, State Farm Personal Articles Policy. Something like $1.50 per $100 insured. No deductable and covers accidental damage, theft, mysterious disappearance, and pretty much anything else. I had to file a claim a while back and SF was great the whole way through.

Feb 06, 2013 at 07:32 PM
user222
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Insurance for camera equipment

Insurance through PPA sounds like a pretty good idea.

Who has filed a claim through this insurance for loss/theft? How did the claims process go?

Feb 06, 2013 at 08:23 PM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Insurance for camera equipment

The standard photo insurers--Pickard and Hill & Usher--aren't available in my state, so...

I've had a business policy with State Farm for years and have not had any complaints. I think I have $25k worth of gear coverage, with a $500 deductible and $2m in liability. Cost is less than $500/year.

I like the peace of mind that comes with being able to travel and/or get the job done without having to watch my gear every second. I want/need to shoot, not watch a bag of gear. If I travel I just secure and check bags. I figure the gear was shipped to a store in less packaging than the Pelicans I use, so what's the big deal. I have filed one claim through SF and they were easy to deal with and processed everything quickly.

Feb 06, 2013 at 09:27 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Insurance for camera equipment

I checked on the PPA insurance and although it appears to be a good deal, you need the Plus as well which is extra. The Liability that comes with PPA membership actually does not provide a replacement value. It is great for the miscellaneous gear but for main stay items you need replaced then you need toe additional coverage.

Feb 06, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dorian
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Insurance for camera equipment

i'll plug amica. i recently had a 1DIV and 24-105 stolen while in london (a bad miscommunication between my gf and i caused it!). i had a renter's policy with amica and i listed all my camera gear separately. i had ZERO hastles dealing with them and now everything has been replaced. will continue giving them my business for home/car/camera moving forward. the gf and i are ok too, thankfully!

dorian

Feb 06, 2013 at 10:46 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Insurance for camera equipment

I'm far from a professional, but I do have my gear insured through my renter's insurance policy which is with Assurant.

-Nick

Feb 07, 2013 at 04:49 PM
gfiksel
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Insurance for camera equipment

retrofocus wrote:
If you are not professional, I think it is not worth it to insure your gear. I had such kind of insurance 5 years ago and realized that I just don't need it. The money which I have saved annually since I cancelled the insurance, I can now easily spend for a needed repair if something should happen.
The insurance I had would have only reimbursed me at max. for the current gear value not for what I had paid originally (this is normal practice). I always had to list my insured gear to the insurance and keep the list
...Show more

Absolutely! The best insurance is to be self-insured. The house always wins, that's why insurance is in business. In average, over long time, one pays more to the insurer than he gets back in claims.

Only insure things that you can't afford to loose - house, health, new car, or when it's required by law.
Never insure used cars, or a few thou camera. Don't buy AAA membership or BestBuy "extended" warranties.

Well, some people are extremely accident-prone. Or they put monetary value to "piece of mind". I am not one of them

Feb 07, 2013 at 05:12 PM
TCPChet

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Insurance for camera equipment

it really depends on whether you need the insurance for personal use or commercial. personal use, insuremyequipment.com might be the place to go if you don't need liability. But if you are in need of a business policy, www.tcpinsurance.com is an insurance agency that can help for camera equipment insurance.

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:06 AM
rdalrt
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Insurance for camera equipment

Curious about what any Canadians may be doing in here for insurance.

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:10 AM
PeakPhoto
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Insurance for camera equipment

An old family friend is a State Farm agent, he got me a good policy and I pay a little over a $100 a year. Just dropped my 16-35 f/2.8 down a stair well the other day (don't ask). And they gave me no fuss about covering the repair costs.

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:54 AM
tuxbailey

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Insurance for camera equipment

I have State Farm personal article policy as well. Like a previous post mentioned, it provides peace of mind since it covers everything outside of manufacturer defect.

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:43 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password