Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · The definative BOOM arm

John Skinner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The definative BOOM arm

Although I have no issues using the 8a airs here with a book arm.

There are times when I need to use a more portable system (sans the power packs) and I want to use my PCB E640 Einstein heads. The stand/boom I have presently sags, needs a tremendous counter-weight, bows in the middle, and can't be fully extended safely.

So I'm looking for REAL life users of a moderately robust stand/boom combination that once I've purchased it. Will work with no slipping, drooping and make me not contemplate whether my insurance premium has been paid up when loaded up close to clients.

Any help would be great.

Jan 31, 2013 at 02:56 PM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The definative BOOM arm

I really like the Avenger A4039CS. It's a beefy boom stand and a bit on the heavy side at around 18lbs, but still able to be used on location. Plus it has the bonus of having a leveling leg if you're on uneven terrain. I've hung some big modifiers off it, it's definitely sturdy and well made.

If you're going to be in the studio only, maybe an Avenger A4050CS with roller wheels. That's even sturdier.

Jan 31, 2013 at 05:05 PM
AlphaValues

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The definative BOOM arm

+1 on the A4050CS. I use it on location all the time.

Feb 01, 2013 at 05:27 PM
Jim Sanderson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The definative BOOM arm

I use an Avenger A5036CS junior roller low boom stand with a D650 junior boom. Works fine on my small set. Only wish the stand had a crank.

Jim

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:42 AM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The definative BOOM arm

Jim Sanderson wrote:
I use an Avenger A5036CS junior roller low boom stand with a D650 junior boom. Works fine on my small set. Only wish the stand had a crank.

I have a similar rig: Avenger D650 on Matthews Junior Low Boy roller. Ridiculously sturdy, but heavy at 56 lbs before adding a light. Probably not the portability requested by OP. With Acute head and 40 lb c/w, I achieve 8' of extension, no flexing, no sandbags.

Feb 04, 2013 at 05:38 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Michael White
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The definative BOOM arm

I have two c stands that came with heavy duty boom arms. The boom arms are Avenger D600 and the stand it self is Avenger 2255CB. I hope this helps I got a bunch of stands a couple years back of the for sale section here and this was part of it. It came with the cstands, boom arms, and several lighter weight stands as part of the deal. I never plan on getting rid of the C-Stands but might weed out a couple of the other stands someday as I think I have way to many now.

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:34 PM
photosymbol
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The definative BOOM arm

I have two A4050CS. Can't imagine a better boom.

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:43 AM
henryp
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The definative BOOM arm

I use the Manfrotto 024 Boom Assembly and have for years. No complaints.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:26 PM
Ronny Mills
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The definative BOOM arm

http://www.pixelcorps.tv/the_grip_guide_06

Watch the mov file for help with sagging booms.

Feb 20, 2013 at 04:41 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The definative BOOM arm

The counter-weight issue will be the same regardless of boom used because that's a function of leverage. The more unequal the extension in front vs. back the more "counter" weight is needed. If front and back distances are equal the counter weight just needs to match the weight of flash and modifier, but space usually doesn't allow that.

I use a boom similar to the one Henry recommended.. It's downside is the awkward gear-toothed locking collars; adjusting is a job best done with three hands...

The workaround I use is to set the angle of the boom arm first with the toothed collar before adding the counter-weight and flash/modifier. I then add counter weight and modifier with boom retracted so front / back distance and balance is about equal, then extend the boom and adjust the front / back lever arms to use leverage to minimize the amount of weight needed, as space in back of the stand allows.

http://super.nova.org/XP/Equipment/boom1.jpg
http://super.nova.org/XP/Equipment/boom2.jpg
http://super.nova.org/XP/Lighting_StudioMisc/Studio4AB_480.jpg

Since my tight space does not allow extending the boom out behind the stand much I add bungie cords between the counter-weight and bottom of stand for tension (vs dead weight), put one leg of the stand directly under the boom for support, and put weights on the other two legs of the stand in back under the counter-weighted part of the boom. Less weight swinging around in the air that way

Feb 20, 2013 at 01:59 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password