Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · New Nikkor 800 f/5.6 a Canon killer ?

Avi B
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · New Nikkor 800 f/5.6 a Canon killer ?

FYI: the Nikkor is VERY handholdable with excellent balance on the D3s (and I assume on the D4). It's similar to the Nikkor 200-400VR in handling, just feels a bit heavier.

Jan 31, 2013 at 03:08 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · New Nikkor 800 f/5.6 a Canon killer ?

That "balance" for handholding is a bit of a myth, and has no foundation either in practice of photography or in physics.

What needs to happen in order to facilitate handholding is to place much of the lens/camera (setup) mass close to the photographer's body. Such desired, when handholding, proximal shift in mass often results in a major imbalance of the setup on a gimbal head.....because those two scenarios, as well as requirements, are quite different.

All Canon's MKII supertelephoto lenses have such proximal mass shift by virtue of their design/overall weight reduction. That is a very good development for handholding, although it causes some difficulties with on-gimbal balancing.

Jan 31, 2013 at 03:29 AM
big country
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · New Nikkor 800 f/5.6 a Canon killer ?

looking at the specs of the lens, it's pretty underwhelming when comparing it to canon glass, but who knows about real world experience/use.

i think you call this being late to the party.

Jan 31, 2013 at 04:08 AM
burningheart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · New Nikkor 800 f/5.6 a Canon killer ?

PetKal wrote:

Lastly, please do not start selling your 600IIs and 800Ls yet .......the above is just my reflection/speculation in response to some recent Canon and Nikon long lens developments.

Petkal aka Supertelemaster

But how else can one afford to buy the new kid on the block.

Seriously the lens may look good and have terrific IQ and one who shoots in both camps could use it on both Canon and Nikon bodies but for that price I'd rather save a lot of cash and pick up a 200-400L. The seductive power of the darkside is getting weak and losing its 36 MP shine.

People thought Canon prices were high.

Jan 31, 2013 at 04:58 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · New Nikkor 800 f/5.6 a Canon killer ?

burningheart wrote:
People thought Canon prices were high.

Robert, I think we better put that kinda sentiment on hold until the 200-400L price, 800L MkII price and 400 DO MkII price become known.

Jan 31, 2013 at 05:26 PM
vchowdhary
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · New Nikkor 800 f/5.6 a Canon killer ?

Considering how Canon has been pricing there recent super teles, I'd not judge the Nikon price until Canon execs come up with some for the 800

Jan 31, 2013 at 05:33 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · New Nikkor 800 f/5.6 a Canon killer ?

As a matter of fact, we do not even have to tremblingly await the prices of those new long lenses. I feel the existing 800L MkI price adjustment is in the making already.
Folks, get your 800L while you can at a low price of $13,250.

Jan 31, 2013 at 05:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gary Irwin
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · New Nikkor 800 f/5.6 a Canon killer ?

PetKal wrote:
Robert, I think we better put that kinda sentiment on hold until the 200-400L price, 800L MkII price and 400 DO MkII price become known.

Exactly Peter!

Also, remember the 800VR will sell for less than then the $18k MSRP. How much less is a good question, but that's still one heck of a lot of green. The reality is that all of the newly redesigned superteles are up in price so we may as well start getting used to paying way over $10k going forward. With all the money printing going on around the world Inflation is finally starting to hit home.

Some random thoughts on the 800VR...

Hots:
- I'm not too surprised but none-the-less intrigued that Nikon chose to use fluorite, once the exclusive domain of Canon in the photography world. Good move Nikon.
- Interesting idea to offer the lens with a dedicated high-performance 1.25x TC.
- MTF chart! Wow!

Nots:
- Price (no surprise there)
- weight: Nikon chose not to jettison the front meniscus element which is disappointing. Even if that would have required an optical redesign it would have been worth it -- low weight is hugely important to me. I'm worried that Nikon didn't put weight reduction high enough on their supertele redesign needs list.
- MFD still sucks.

The optical performance of the 800VR looks very promising, but I have no intentions of ponying up that kind of cash for this baby at this point in time. Rather, I'm waiting for either a redesigned 500VRIII or 600VRIII with dedicated TC to go with a 36MP D4x(!), or a high-performance high resolution Canon body, in which case I may just have to come back to the "light" side. In fact the only reason I'm not shooting Canon right now is the absence of a suitable body for my needs. I just love my D800.

Jan 31, 2013 at 05:59 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · New Nikkor 800 f/5.6 a Canon killer ?

Gary, if Nikon succeeds in setting a new standard of IQ excellence with Nikkor 800, then I think the lens will become highly desireable, and quite a few folks will go for it.....beg, borrow or steal.

I am waiting for 800L MkII and 1DXs.......I think those two items will show us all who owns the world's DSLR technology.

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:36 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · New Nikkor 800 f/5.6 a Canon killer ?

Gary, right now the 800VR is listed on B&H for ~$17.9k. That isn't much less than MSRP.

Jan 31, 2013 at 07:30 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · New Nikkor 800 f/5.6 a Canon killer ?

PetKal wrote:
Gary, if Nikon succeeds in setting a new standard of IQ excellence with Nikkor 800, then I think the lens will become highly desireable, and quite a few folks will go for it.....beg, borrow or steal.

I think you're right Peter, if the 800VR is all it's cracked up to be it certainly will sell better than those with sticker shock might think at the moment. A few years ago I paid $9000 for my 500VR (the Loonie was lower at the time). Many thought that price was ridiculous...now it seems like a bargain compared to the newer superteles. Attitudes do change with time.

But more important to me is the possibility that Nikon might "pull out the stops" on a redesigned 500VRIII or 600VRIII -- THAT's what I'm hoping for.

PetKal wrote:
I am waiting for 800L MkII and 1DXs.......I think those two items will show us all who owns the world's DSLR technology.

That would be a very nice combo for sure...just need more pixels.

Jan 31, 2013 at 08:54 PM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · New Nikkor 800 f/5.6 a Canon killer ?

ISO1600 wrote:
Gary, right now the 800VR is listed on B&H for ~$17.9k. That isn't much less than MSRP.

Wait 12 months and we'll see.

Jan 31, 2013 at 08:58 PM
Vancouver47
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · New Nikkor 800 f/5.6 a Canon killer ?

Interesting discussion on price but if you look back at the value of the US$ to the Yen when the last series of Superteles were introduced they are actually cheaper in yen now. The difference is the yen has clobbered the U$ in recent years. Since 2003 the yen has been as low as 140Y/$ and a few months ago was 75Y/$. Present is about 90Y/$

Jan 31, 2013 at 09:46 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password