Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

I'm glad that worked out! That's a fair deal, but it is amazing how little they are selling for. I've got mine on the B&S board here for $1150 I believe. I paid $1600 a year + ago and thought I got a smoking deal then! Times change.

I just sold my 5D and shipped it today. This was the first shipment since the new postal rates. Priority Mail has gone up (naturally), but it includes Delivery Confirmation/Tracking at no additional cost, and no additional green sticker.

Enjoy your new camera!

Jan 31, 2013 at 08:09 PM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.2 #2 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

Let us know how it works out. Im also looking into purchasing one of these cameras after my tax return comes in.

Jan 31, 2013 at 08:10 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

Noise at 1600. 1DsII files clean up better than 5Dc,

Colours and overall image quality 5D3 is completely different to 5Dc. Its better from an accuracy, saturation, pop point of view but the 5Dc has a fairly unique look to it, its really subjective. I shoot with a MkIV and 5D3 and a 5Dc. You will get the 5Dc from my cold dead hands. My copy of the 5D3 has some odd moments in terms of metering now and then. 1DsII is good value used but is really outclassed by a 5D3.

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.2 #4 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

I shoot wedding with the 1DsII & 7D gripped.

love the 1DsII for pretty much everything. The reception winner is the 7D.
7D will lock on faster than the 1DsII when it gets dark.
Plus the 7D is a rocket ship fast in function/use.

Only down side to the 1DsII are the ISO limitations compared to the 5Dmk3 and the buffer is slow-slow.

Can i shoot an entire wedding with each ... Yes sir. So both very capable cameras.
I have to be more accurate with exposure on the 7D.

I use the colorchecker passport on both camera (Camera profile). The 1DsII saw the biggest improvement in color out of Raws.

Have fun with your new toy!

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Mr645
• • •
p.2 #5 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

I totally agree that the 1DsII, 1DII and 1DIIn are awesome values on the used market.

Feb 11, 2013 at 06:43 PM
adamo99
• •
p.2 #6 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

abraxsis wrote:
camera isn't too heavy, but I workout and lift weights pretty regularly (I've lost 180lbs so far) so a 5-8lb camera isn't much in my hands.

Completely off-topic, and don't mean to derail your thread- but congratulations on getting healthier! Losing that much weight is a tremendous accomplishment.

I loved my 1DsII, and often regret selling it. It produced some of the best files of any of the Canon bodies that I've owned, including the 5DmkII and the 1DIV. You will not mind hauling the weight around once you see the images it's capable of.

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:49 PM
rcheliphotog
• •
p.2 #7 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

Glad your camera finally arrived.

You'll enjoy it. If you take the time to learn the interface it is actually a reasonably fast camera. The image quality is in a class of it's own and and the noise cleans up really well. Considering today's prices, it's really a great bargain.

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:12 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

Everytime i play with tones curve between 5D2 and 1Ds2 files, 1Ds2 win. For portrait application, AF is an awesome class for fast lenses. Buffer is not deep enought for any sport application but it is a great machine compared to its age. Yes, the image quality is in a class of it's own for sure.

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ghost
• • • •
p.2 #9 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

If you don't mind the archaic layout and the small LCD, the 1ds2 is a joyous camera. A coupla negatives is the capture to review time is long. If you are the type that checks the images after each shot you will be annoyed. Burst depth is shallow. If you do a lot of spray and pray, the time for it to clear its buffer will drive you insane.

Depending on the type of photography you do, the 1ds2 may or may not be a right fit. I think it is a classic camera in the same vein as the 5d mkI.

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:55 PM
Jayem1
• • • •
p.2 #10 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

Ds II is much better if you don't care about better lcd and fps. I have shot it along with t2i which supposed to have the sensor very similar to 7d. the raw files are just not the same class. files by t2i falls apart quickly while ds2 files hold up very well. of course they are not in the same class to begin with. i think you will be happier with ds2.

Feb 12, 2013 at 06:17 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.2 #11 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

I had a 1Ds, and came from a 40D. I never had used LV, so I didn't miss it. I used the 1Ds for several years. Other than it being a dust magnet, I lived within the limitations. Low ISO is amazing! IQ is legendary. I got the Lenmar batteries from Amazon for $30 each, and had good luck with them.

With 1Ds2, as you know, all these things will apply. If it were me, only camera I would upgrade to would be a 5D3 or a 1Ds3 (you can find them cheaper than a 5D3)..

Feb 12, 2013 at 06:26 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.2 #12 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

Would have never thought to compare these two cameras. Sort of a apples and pineapples thing

In its day the 1DsII (along with the Nikon equivalent whose number I don't know) was the definitive camera. There wasn't anything better for its intended use. The 7D is one, maybe two technical generations newer and can do things that the 1DsII simply didn't have the tech for: like Liveview, a LCD you could use for something more than histo checking, and higher ISO. Still the 1DsII IQ was/is remarkable. The newer FF sensors certainly handle low light better and perhaps noise also. I'm not convinced they've really improved dynamic range and frankly am not sure the over all IQ is that much better at ISO 800 and less. There is something special about a properly exposed 1DsII image. With a bit of judicious work on a RAW file I could easily print to 16x24 without a hitch. The camera was never intended to give good JPEG.

The 7D in contrast (I owned one briefly before selling it to go on to 1DIII) was a junior 1DII with higher ISO, some newer features and a significantly lower price. AF was good, thru put okay, but I was never impressed with its IQ and this was comparing it to a 1DIIn. The 7D is good at what it was designed for, but there are a number of reasons why pro-grade cameras are dramatically more expensive than "prosummer" models.

Despite what some would seem to suggest, just because the 1Dx and 5DIII exist doesn't mean something older like the 1DsII isn't capable of extraordinary images. It will take some time to get use to its "tactile" interface, but if you learn to use it, you will love the quality of the work it can produce.

Robert

Feb 12, 2013 at 08:27 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.2 #13 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

I can't see myself selling my 1Ds2 anytime soon. I won't trust my 6D to harsh elements, but I totally trust the 1Ds2.

I've never been much of a pixel peeper using a camera's LCD so the size doesn't concern me. As long as I can see the RGB and overall histogram, that's all that really matters to me in that department.

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:29 AM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.2 #14 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

Waiting for Imagemaster to chime in any minute now lol.

Feb 15, 2013 at 02:36 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.2 #15 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

Image quality wise the 1DS2 is a great camera.

Its shortcomings are more on the features and convenience department.

First, the batteries are not that good. Test them to see how long they last with a full charge since they are known to deteriorate a LOT over time.

The lcd is obviously tiny and not that good plus it has no live view. The buttons and controls are typical old school canon (good) but some people don't like the fact that you need to press two buttons at once to change some settings (it seemed like a good idea at the time to prevent inadvertently changing camera settings)

Thats pretty much it.

Feb 15, 2013 at 04:25 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · 1Ds Mk II or 7D?

PetKal wrote:
1DsMkII is certainly a great camera (IQ and AF) with a few note-worthy limitations which might, or might not matter to you, such as:

(1) The LCD display is nearly useless.
(2) The frame rate is plain slow with sadly shallow buffer.
(3) ISO noise becomes a problem above 800, particularly if you crop enlarge a fair bit, and/or if you need to lift exposure in pp.

7D has much nicer display, faster frame rate/deeper buffer, better layout of controls and menus, much lighter to carry, longer battery life, higher detail capture capability, and somewhat cleaner files at high ISO.

For your application type perhaps
...Show more

I agree completely. I own the 5DIII, 5DII, 1DsII and the 7D. In Priority it is 5DIII For Manual focus lens; 1DsII for AF lens, 5DII for backup; 7D for wildlife.

Feb 15, 2013 at 04:41 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password