Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Venice beach skater with Canon 6D - suggested edits applied

benee
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Venice beach skater with Canon 6D - suggested edits applied

I dig the edit, but i miss the people in the bg...

Jan 31, 2013 at 02:03 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Venice beach skater with Canon 6D - suggested edits applied

Thanks benee

Jan 31, 2013 at 02:32 AM
bobbyv
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Venice beach skater with Canon 6D - suggested edits applied

Steve Wylie wrote:
The original version was troublesome for me. The blown sky was a major problem (I've had plenty of skies like that, too). But your edited version is a killer shot now. The sky is much, much better, and I like the removal of the other people. They didn't add anything to the composition.

My thoughts. Plus, in the second one there are edges on the ocean/horizon, from cloning out subjects in the bg. I like that image a lot.

Jan 31, 2013 at 03:53 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Venice beach skater with Canon 6D - suggested edits applied

bobbyv wrote:
My thoughts. Plus, in the second one there are edges on the ocean/horizon, from cloning out subjects in the bg. I like that image a lot.

Thanks....I was a bit sloppy with the clone tool. If/when I print i will do a much cleaner job.

Jan 31, 2013 at 04:11 AM
dbsdaddy
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Venice beach skater with Canon 6D - suggested edits applied

Hi. Thanks for sharing! A quick comment. To my eyes, it appears as though he has a "light" line (if it as black I would refer to it as a matte line) around him (hoodie, pinkie, etc.) Perhaps an artifact from a mask? I am old and my eyes could be tricking me...

Jan 31, 2013 at 04:12 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Venice beach skater with Canon 6D - suggested edits applied

dbsdaddy wrote:
Hi. Thanks for sharing! A quick comment. To my eyes, it appears as though he has a "light" line (if it as black I would refer to it as a matte line) around him (hoodie, pinkie, etc.) Perhaps an artifact from a mask? I am old and my eyes could be tricking me...

Good call. Again sloppy editing on my part. I did some dodging on him to give him some pop. I must have colored outside the lines a bit. I usually zoom in to 600% when I do that part of post but I had just returned from a long road trip to SoCal and was a bit tired.....excuses,excuses

Jan 31, 2013 at 04:31 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Venice beach skater with Canon 6D - suggested edits applied

I thought I saw this in the Canon board but could be wrong. I like the editing version as well. You got some great advice here.
IMO, I would have kept the 2 people on the left of the frame (from left to right)
Thanks for sharing,
Fred

Feb 01, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Venice beach skater with Canon 6D - suggested edits applied

Your right Fred it was posted there only because it was taken with a new 6d....I kind of like having the people in the shot as well

Feb 01, 2013 at 11:26 PM
davidimdpt
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Venice beach skater with Canon 6D - suggested edits applied

Hey Michael,
I also like the people in the background. They contribute to the feel and story of the picture. I noticed some haloing around the guys pinky. Otherwise a nice edit. Personally I would have added a more dramatic sky in the background. But then again, I like that kind of stuff!

Feb 01, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Michaelparris
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Venice beach skater with Canon 6D - suggested edits applied

davidimdpt wrote:
Hey Michael,
I also like the people in the background. They contribute to the feel and story of the picture. I noticed some haloing around the guys pinky. Otherwise a nice edit. Personally I would have added a more dramatic sky in the background. But then again, I like that kind of stuff!

That's actually not a bad idea..I have a file folder full of sky shots I will try a composite this weekend. Halo is probably from dodging I did to the body to pull some detail out. Thanks for the comments

Feb 02, 2013 at 01:07 AM
hobbiesarefun

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Venice beach skater with Canon 6D - suggested edits applied

As others said, definitely consider cropping out the tree on the left side, and I'll say I think I prefer the first version you show over the second. The second shows obvious haloing, otherwise meaning an obvious highlight pull process, to the point where it becomes distracting. I love the first shot the way it is, with blown out highlights and all.

Feb 02, 2013 at 05:11 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Venice beach skater with Canon 6D - suggested edits applied

hobbiesarefun wrote:
As others said, definitely consider cropping out the tree on the left side, and I'll say I think I prefer the first version you show over the second. The second shows obvious haloing, otherwise meaning an obvious highlight pull process, to the point where it becomes distracting. I love the first shot the way it is, with blown out highlights and all.

It means I'm sloppy at photoshop. It takes 5secs to zoom to 500% and for some reason it's not in my pattern of thinking when in post....

Feb 02, 2013 at 05:58 AM
Langran
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Venice beach skater with Canon 6D - suggested edits applied

I like the cloning for the tree and sign but think the other people add to it. It's a skate park. There are supposed to be people around. Also I prefer the sky in the original, not for any other reason than the edit shows haloing around him. Blowing highlights in the sky doesn't matter at all if the action is there which it is.

Feb 04, 2013 at 08:25 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Venice beach skater with Canon 6D - suggested edits applied

Thanks for the comments

Feb 04, 2013 at 03:13 PM
ChiShutter
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Venice beach skater with Canon 6D - suggested edits applied

The second version absolutely rocks! Nice shot.

Feb 05, 2013 at 05:46 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Venice beach skater with Canon 6D - suggested edits applied

Thanks for the kind words.....Nice work on your site

Feb 05, 2013 at 06:05 PM
Bosswei

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Venice beach skater with Canon 6D - suggested edits applied

I like it!

Feb 06, 2013 at 05:33 AM