Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Kit Pricing

saneproduction
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Kit Pricing

Hi All,

I have been doing more and more photo work in addition to our main focus of video production. Once you are there and things are lit, it makes sense to shoot the photography as well.

In video we price everything line by line for time and materials. Camera package, lighting package, director of photography etc. Do you do the same thing for stills?

I am having a disagreement with a co-worker about charging for main and backup bodies in addtion to lenses etc. Do you guys charge for both bodies? if so, do you charge less for the second body (assuming they are the same model)? If you break up the pricing by kit rental and photographer's time, how much is a typical kit?

Ours is 5DIII, 5DII, 24-70II, 16-28, 14L, 24L II, 35L, 50L, 85L, 100 Makro Planar and 200 1.8L with TC 1.4 III, plus cards, batteries, tripoods etc. I think this kit should price out around $700/Day based on local rental rates.

Lighting is all done with HMI/Kino etc and is charged seperate.

Thanks!

Jan 29, 2013 at 05:39 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Kit Pricing

I don't itemize any gear, it's all buried in the "Creative Fee" line item, unless I had to go out and rent something I don't have.

My invoice itemizes creative fees, assistants (inc. stylists and MUA), rental expenses, any print/media purchases, and most importantly Usage-based license fees.

The itemization of gear seems to be an exclusively video convention. Oh, and I would never charge for backup gear, that's my responsibility to "get the shot."

My $0.02 worth
<Chas>

Jan 29, 2013 at 05:58 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #3 · Kit Pricing

Thanks for the advice!

Surprised I just got the 1 response.

Feb 03, 2013 at 05:50 AM
markd61
• •
p.1 #4 · Kit Pricing

+1 on CWebster's response.

My clients might tolerate a detailed invoice but would definitely raise their eyebrows at listing all the gear in your bag.

I am aware of photographers who rent their gear to the client but these days many see that as gouging. In addition I have heard statements from some buyers who declare they will not work with photographers who do that.

The assumption is that a craftsman supplies his tools and that is included in the hire. Special tools that may not be part of a customary tool kit could be rented and itemized. Backup is a form of insurance and a part of being a pro. That IS part of what one is buying.

The bottom line is that I calculate what my costs are and factor in what I need for a fair profit and quote accordingly. My costs are wide ranging (as are everyone's) from the gas and insurance for my car to the coffee I had at breakfast etc. My client is not interested in hearing the story of my life.

Feb 04, 2013 at 06:36 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password