Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Honest discussion:What gear do you really need for any job?

MarcG19
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Honest discussion:What gear do you really need for any job?

Unfortunately, mission dictates the gear. I don't think, especially these days, there's a one size fits all that's better than everything else for all missions. (that being said, some kits do very well for just about anything).

If it was sports or anything with fast action, it would be a D4 (or the Canon equivalents) and your choice of $2500+ f/2.8 tele-zooms, as well as possibly wide/mid range f/2.8 glass

If it was printing large, it would be a D800e

If it was something where small size/weight makes things much more pleasant and you don't have to track moving subjects (90+% of my photos), it would be an Oly EM-5 with a few of the primes.

Edited on Jan 31, 2013 at 04:12 AM · View previous versions

Jan 30, 2013 at 03:53 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Honest discussion:What gear do you really need for any job?

Personally I value reliability and durability over anything else which is why I have shot Nikon for 40 years. Nikon. But specifically, I'd say a D700 or D3s, a 24-70 and 70-200VR. There aren't too many situations that this combination won't get you through. In 40 years I have had one Nikkor fail and that was sticky blades on a 10 year old 17--55DX with over 70,000 clicks on it. That's what keeps you going and makes you money.

Jan 30, 2013 at 03:54 AM
pbraymond
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Honest discussion:What gear do you really need for any job?

I shoot all over the focal length map, so I would like to at least have something at or wider than 24mm, something 35ish, a mid tele say 85/105, than long say above 300.

Which is why when I travel to locales that are far away and infrequent, I tend to favor the 24-120.

Portraits / events 24-70 / 70-200 / 85 / 24

Just kicking around honing skills a selection of primes, mostly manual focus lenses

17-35 - when I need it, I need it :-)

That said, if I absolutely had to pare down from what I use now, I would pick an FX body plus 17-35/24-70/70-200 though it would be heavy to use all the time.

Jan 30, 2013 at 04:01 AM
popinvasion
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Honest discussion:What gear do you really need for any job?

Nice replies everyone, its educational for me to read the different perspectives. Thanks for that.

Jan 30, 2013 at 04:06 AM
static808
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Honest discussion:What gear do you really need for any job?

two FX bodies, one with a 24/1.4 and the other with a 70-200. a couple of flashes in case its really dark...

Jan 30, 2013 at 05:31 AM
Astragony
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Honest discussion:What gear do you really need for any job?

you could do just about everything with something like a d600, a 24-70 and a 70-200, a flash and a tripod.

Personally, I hate having unused gear, I sell everything I don't even feel like carrying and I do all my work with:

d600, 16-35vr, 50 1.8g, 85 1.8g, tripod and elinchrom quadra kit

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:54 AM
nick53097
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Honest discussion:What gear do you really need for any job?

D700, 24-70 and 85G

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:21 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Honest discussion:What gear do you really need for any job?

If you can control lighting, you don't even have to use any 2.8 or 1.4 glasses.

Jan 30, 2013 at 04:14 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Honest discussion:What gear do you really need for any job?

D4 and 24-70 (and I use the between capabilities); however, I like all my gear and each lens has its purpose,

So, beyond camera and lens, the most important thing you really need is a C stand and gaffers tape.

Jan 30, 2013 at 04:50 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Honest discussion:What gear do you really need for any job?

D700
24-70
70-200

A few SB800s
Strobe with battery power
Beauty dish
Stands etc.

Then some backups.

Jan 30, 2013 at 05:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rudyr
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Honest discussion:What gear do you really need for any job?

I'm almost to the point where the only big changes are going to be body upgrades over time. Lens wise I'm really happy.

D600 and the following 16-35 f/4 (wide), 50/1.8g (compact walk around), tokina 100 (macro), 28-300 (for when I'm lazy), and debating either 70-200 f/4 or the 70-300 as really the last lens I want/need.

Jan 30, 2013 at 06:16 PM
fgransee
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Honest discussion:What gear do you really need for any job?

So if this is about a person who just loves to take photos but does not really care about the gear, then I'd say buy a point-and-shoot camera and enjoy. The reasoning for higher quality gear is founded in a certain level of understanding about how optics and photography works in general. Your understanding may extend further than your budget and that would be then the limit.

Jan 30, 2013 at 06:38 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Honest discussion:What gear do you really need for any job?

Part of the reason there's so much gear in photography is that the needs and desires are so different. I'd be lost without my 70-200, 200-400, and 500 (and maybe the 800 in the future) but I never carry those to family occasions or pure "family" vacations... that's what the Nikon 1 is for.

I'm happy to advise anyone on what a minimalist "90%" kit is going to be for them based on what and how they want to shoot. But to the exact question phrased by the OP, I'm going to simply say there is no good answer. Any given answer works only for a subset of people and needs.

Jan 30, 2013 at 09:43 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Honest discussion:What gear do you really need for any job?

There's a significant bit missing in your scenario, IMO. You talk about a guy that makes money with his photos, but you don't say in which genre or how large the typical prints will be. A well rounded wedding photographer may not be able to do sports or wildlife or fashion very well. OTOH, a good sports shooter isn't likely to know the things necessary to make a successful wedding photographer.

I am not convinced that the average guy that is "a well rounded photog who could hit the basics of any field" could be the guy that doesn't care about the gear. There are very good reasons for the specialty items in photography. If you don't know what gear you need, and the techniques required to use it, in any given genre, I don't see how you could turn out good work.

So, without knowing the genre, I don't see how you could decide on a minimal kit, thus there doesn't seem to be an answer, just as you originally thought.

Kerry

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:31 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Honest discussion:What gear do you really need for any job?

If it's for my own pleasure, some camera and a lens. When I'm in a rut I limit myself to just a camera and one prime for a week or two. It's amazingly fun to go out thinking what shot can I get today using a D300 and a 10.5 fisheye or whatever.

But when you have work to do you have to deliver what the client wants. So I think the equipment needed depends in large part on your client's desires.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Tete
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Honest discussion:What gear do you really need for any job?

minimum I could probably do with is a D3200 and 50mm 1.8G - but if Im choosing I would like my current set up, a D700 and 50mm. Thats fine for most of my stuff.

---------------EDIT --------------------

I was confused I thought you meant what was the minimum I could use for daily shooting . for work that changes.

For most jobs at minimum I would like to have at least 1 speed light / stand / shoot thru umbrella / and reflector triggers Cybersyncs are fine or wired if only option.

D700 + 50mm and 28-70 2.8 Nikkor.

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:32 AM
DontShoot
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Honest discussion:What gear do you really need for any job?

popinvasion wrote:
Lets say you were ambivalent about gear. You did not read the forums, visits the rumor sites or hang out at the camera shop. Fun was not the gear. Fun was the shooting.

If that's the case then I'd probably still be shooting a D40 with 18-55 and be very happy with it. You only learn (and start to want) expensive gear when you read forums, hang around camera stores, etc.

Jan 31, 2013 at 01:09 AM
Tete
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Honest discussion:What gear do you really need for any job?

DontShoot wrote:
If that's the case then I'd probably still be shooting a D40 with 18-55 and be very happy with it. You only learn (and start to want) expensive gear when you read forums, hang around camera stores, etc.

this is the truth. only here do we need to crop 100% to print a 4x6

Jan 31, 2013 at 01:41 AM
Two23
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Honest discussion:What gear do you really need for any job?

Kerry Pierce wrote:
I am not convinced that the average guy that is "a well rounded photog who could hit the basics of any field" could be the guy that doesn't care about the gear. There are very good reasons for the specialty items in photography. If you don't know what gear you need, and the techniques required to use it, in any given genre, I don't see how you could turn out good work.

After over a quarter century of photography, some for pay, most for self expression, I've come to think the least important thing is the gear, generally speaking. The MOST important thing by far is the ability to recognize light and use it effectively. It comes down to that.

Kent in SD

Jan 31, 2013 at 02:47 AM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Honest discussion:What gear do you really need for any job?

Kerry Pierce wrote:

Two23 wrote:
After over a quarter century of photography, some for pay, most for self expression, I've come to think the least important thing is the gear, generally speaking. The MOST important thing by far is the ability to recognize light and use it effectively. It comes down to that.

Kent in SD

I have a similar background, starting in the early 70's as a partner in a wedding/portrait business, where we used both 35mm and MF cameras. We always used the MF for the formals and portraits, rather than the 35mm, and it wasn't because we liked lugging around both systems.

I certainly don't wish to diminish the importance of using the light properly. But, here's what I'm getting at, you aren't going to take great macros without a good macro lens and either a tripod or a high ISO camera that allows you to have SS to eliminate camera shake. You won't take good sports shots, especially indoors/low light, without the appropriate high ISO camera and long, fast, lenses. You need flash guns and you need to know how to use them. Etc, etc, and so on. There are very good reasons that N & C offer pro bodies and lenses and I don't think it's because all of the pros are just gearheads that love to spend money.

The gear is very important to many tasks, IMO. If that weren't true, there'd be no need for a DSLR at all. Everyone could use a pocket camera. If you disagree, that's cool, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

thanks
Kerry

Jan 31, 2013 at 03:04 AM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password