Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Tired Eyes ... AF lens recommendations.

wayne seltzer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Tired Eyes ... AF lens recommendations.

Contax N if you want to stay with your Canon or A99 like Philip mentions with focus peaking.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:03 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Tired Eyes ... AF lens recommendations.

Nex with evf is the answer for manual focusing.

Jan 29, 2013 at 01:18 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Tired Eyes ... AF lens recommendations.

xbarcelo wrote:
I'd do the opposite and buy an EVF ff, with which you'd have no trouble focusing by both having magnification and peakign. If you can live with APS-C, go NEX.

Xavier

+1, instead of going AF, get the focus aids you need to stay MF with an EVF-based system. Most of your glass will work on the A99 for example (Oly and EF lenses being the problems, also pre-AIS Nikon stuff lacks conversion kits).

Jan 29, 2013 at 01:29 AM
joanlvh
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Tired Eyes ... AF lens recommendations.

mpmendenhall and RustyBug, re your 21mm, f11 and 6ft focus, then p&s . This is always fascinating to me, how
"un wide" of a lens will work with this formula, Is it possible with a 35mm lens? thank you joanlvh

ps sorry if for changing the thread's subject.

Jan 29, 2013 at 01:45 AM
dbehrens
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Tired Eyes ... AF lens recommendations.

From 28-200mm with zooms its hard to beat the old 28-70 f/2.8L and the lightweight 70-200 f/4L IS. The old 28-70L shoots sharper than the 24-70 1st generation, it has lovely color rendition, is tack sharp wide open and is a third of the cost of the 24-70 f/2.8 Mark II. Although I enjoy my alts my 28-70 still earns its keep.
Dave

Jan 29, 2013 at 01:48 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Tired Eyes ... AF lens recommendations.

joanlvh wrote:
mpmendenhall and RustyBug, re your 21mm, f11 and 6ft focus, then p&s . This is always fascinating to me, how
"un wide" of a lens will work with this formula, Is it possible with a 35mm lens? thank you joanlvh

ps sorry if for changing the thread's subject.

f8 and hyperfocal works for the 35 for most uses, that's how I used to shoot the Super-Takumar 35/3.5 most of the time. I've even used it with 50mm lenses successfully.

That said, hyperfocal shooting will never produce critically sharp shots exactly where you need the focus, which is why it's more of a street technique than a landscape one. That said, with modern DSLR's I don't recommend AF in the first place, use LV, focus magnification and exact placement of the plane of focus to achieve focus accuracy no other system can offer.

Jan 29, 2013 at 02:28 AM
joanlvh
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Tired Eyes ... AF lens recommendations.

thanks, mawz

Jan 29, 2013 at 04:41 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Tired Eyes ... AF lens recommendations.

Kent, I would recommend to start with some zooms. The Contax N 24-85 would be a good place to start. I also had the Canon 70-200 f/4L IS. The lens was versatile and I liked it quite a bit and still some of my favourite shots are with that lens. That would cover a wide swath of focal lengths as long as you didn't need fast glass. I am intrigued by the new Canon 24 f/2.8 IS, the 28 f/2.8 IS, and especially the 35 f/2 IS. At 50mm the Contax N 50 f/1.4 gives you the autofocus version of the Zeiss 50 f/1.4 and is worth considering. I also think the 100 f/2 is a good bargain if not that exciting of a lens. The 135 f/2L also seems to be decent all around and is priced pretty reasonably. I was considering that lens until the Zeiss ZE 135 f/2 APO was announced. If I had a lot of money, I would be very interested in the Canon 200 f/1.8L, the 500 f/4.5 L, and the Contax N 85 f/1.4 but all of these seem to be beyond your budget too. For me those are the interesting lenses. So with your $3,500 budget my suggestion would be the Contax N 24-85, the Canon 70-400 f/4L IS, either the Canon 35 f/2 IS or the Contax N 50 f/1.4 (whichever focal length you prefer) and the Canon 135 f/2L.

Jan 29, 2013 at 07:17 AM
johnahill
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Tired Eyes ... AF lens recommendations.

The Canon 40mm STM is surprisingly good, sharp into the corners at f5.6.
The focus is slower tha usm but i've found it to be very accurate.

Jan 29, 2013 at 08:43 AM
RickPerry
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Tired Eyes ... AF lens recommendations.

Rusty Bug,

I went through the same realization (tired eyes ) just about a year ago. It was more a case of - I was missing people shots - than not being able to focus in general - but basically my eyes , along with the rest of my body, are getting old.

So I sold my Canon system - 5DII along with Zeiss 35 f2, 50 1.4 and 100 Macro. It was hard to part with the ZE's - I really liked those lenses believe me! I then bought a slightly used (500 clicks) Sony A900 with Zeiss autofocus 16-35, 24 f2, 135 f1.8 along with some misc. Minolta - Sony glass.

I must say, I have no regrets at all - the A900 VF is fantastic, the build quality of the body is unsurpassed IMO, and the ZA glass is Zeiss all the way. Perhaps a tad off from the build and IQ of the ZE's but - contrast, color , micro contrast, pop and 3 D are all there.

I tried a Sony A65 EVF but really could not see much through the EVF in bright light so I stuck with the A900 view - an A99 does not interest me for that reason .

The VF in the A900 is so good I often use the manual focus on the Zeiss lenses unless things are in motion. However, the real reason to stick with the optical viewfinder (for me) is it gives me an unsurpassed view of the scene which lets me compose the picture - that is critical for my style of photography. (Please no arguments about EVF vs OVF - this is merely my experience.)

Meanwhile, I picked up a Fuji Xpro1 body and 2 Nikon Zeiss ZKv2 lenses with a Metabones adapter - 35 f2 and 50 1.4. I must admit the ZE, ZK lenses are really top end equipment - unsurpassed in IQ and build quality - I had missed them. The Fuji also has a 2 tier magnify which I use to focus - even my eyes have no trouble with that. However, it is a 2 step process that I use: focus wide open, stop down, then fire. Once again, not great for moving objects but certainly do-able.

Keep in mind this is just my experience - but I will say - I am very content with my systems right now. The potential image quality is a at least as good as I am a photographer, and I enjoy using the equipment.

Rick

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ISO1600
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Tired Eyes ... AF lens recommendations.

I no longer have the visual accuity I once had.
Canon AF is my solution.

If I had $3500 to play with for glass for a Canon system (which I do shoot- 6D), I think the following would be in order:

24-105/4L
50/1.2L
70-200/4L IS
the wide end is where things get iffy. At this point it'd be a stretch to find a 16-35L of either version to fit the remaining ~$1000, and most don't feel it's up to the task for a discerning shooter. The 17-40 is quite good, and very affordable. I just picked up a Tokina 17/3.5 AT-X AF for $300 and so far I'm very happy with it.

Jan 29, 2013 at 01:44 PM
alexandre
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Tired Eyes ... AF lens recommendations.

+1 for 50/1.8 and 100/2.8 macro.
Tamron 28-75/2.8 is amazing for the price too.
Never had a decent AF tele so that's it for me.

Jan 29, 2013 at 03:39 PM
teh_rebel
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Tired Eyes ... AF lens recommendations.

for 35mm, i highly recommend the sigma 35/1.4. awesome lens.

Jan 29, 2013 at 03:47 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Tired Eyes ... AF lens recommendations.

Man this guy is talking about playing with $3500 for glass.
Why are ya'll suggesting 50/1.8's and Tamron zooms?

haha

Jan 29, 2013 at 03:48 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Tired Eyes ... AF lens recommendations.

ISO1600 wrote:

I suppose we're making an assumption that Kent wants a broad range of versatility and variety. $3500 doesn't go very far if you immediately jump for the "best"/costliest options: 24-70/2.8L II ($2300) + 135/2L ($1200) and you're done --- where's your fast normal, macro, telephoto, ultrawide? But $3500 can build a very broad and versatile setup if you stick to thriftier lenses that can be excellent for particular applications. Part of my own attraction to "alt" gear is having a broad variety of lenses that excel at a particular task, rather than a couple expensive "do-it-all" optics; that eclectic ethos is mirrored in my (and, I suspect, others) suggestions for an "alt-friendly" autofocus setup.

Jan 29, 2013 at 04:35 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Tired Eyes ... AF lens recommendations.

Michael,
Did you see my post above, listing my suggested setup?
Assuming he keeps his Alts, which i believe he said he most likely would....
He could build a quite nice EF setup for $3500.

Jan 29, 2013 at 04:43 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Tired Eyes ... AF lens recommendations.

ISO1600 wrote:
Michael,
Did you see my post above, listing my suggested setup?
Assuming he keeps his Alts, which i believe he said he most likely would....
He could build a quite nice EF setup for $3500.

Yes, you have a perfectly decent suggestion --- but I doubt it's the only valid suggestion of interest. I notice even you are suggesting a cheap Tokina lens to fill in the gaps. Given that the original poster said that he's "not much of a 50's shooter," a 50/1.8 might be a more appropriate way to fill out a little-used niche than a 50L, freeing up budget for other (possibly non-Canon-L) lenses. It's up to Kent to decide how to spend his money; you can make your suggestions, and other people can make theirs (possibly different and more weighted towards "alternative" options) without conflict.

Jan 29, 2013 at 05:00 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Tired Eyes ... AF lens recommendations.

johnahill wrote:
The Canon 40mm STM is surprisingly good, sharp into the corners at f5.6.
The focus is slower tha usm but i've found it to be very accurate.

+1 - very good lens, I use mine wide open all the time. Tiny, sharp and cheap ($150). Plus, for me, 40mm is the perfect walk around FL on FF.

On Canon 6D.....
http://brownphotography.smugmug.com/photos/i-Lb3kkjQ/0/XL/i-Lb3kkjQ-XL.jpg

Jan 29, 2013 at 05:16 PM
alexandre
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Tired Eyes ... AF lens recommendations.

ISO1600 wrote:

haha

My bad. I didn't read the OP properly.

Well, if I had $3500 to spend on EF lenses I'd buy:

24-105/4L - $1150
200/2.8L - $770
35/1.4L - $1320

$3240 total.

Jan 29, 2013 at 05:26 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Tired Eyes ... AF lens recommendations.

Step away for a few and come back to lots of thoughts ... good stuff guys.

One of the great things about the Alt forum, isn't simply the Alt Gear ... but the Alt mindsets that we all bring to the table with our willingness to have a variant approach to things.

+1 @ the wide gets iffy for discerning ... this was the basis for my original entry into Alt's (Oly 24/2.8)
+1 @ retaining select MF glass (although I'd likely downsize some) to coordinate with AF.
$3500 was arbitrary ... just to suggest "investment glass" is in the realm, just not a TON of it.

As to macro ... I think my MF is fine for that, it is rarely a "quick" endeavor anyway.
As to my "fast" glass, probably a 35mm rather than a 50mm.
Tamron 28-75/2.8 is already one I own now as it came "bundled" with my Leica 90/2.8 & SLR/C. I typically pull out my C/Y 35-70 for this range when I've got plenty of time, the Tammy comes out for snaps (rare for me).

On the tele, I get torn between the 70-200/4 vs. the 200/2.8. I figure the super-tele would need to be the 400/5.6 rather than my current 120-600/5.6 ... although, 600 on a NEX does sound interesting.

Anyway, this isn't an immediate change ... just figuring that over the course of the next year or so I'll start migrating this way a bit more. Definitely in the brainstorming / planning stages for a transition. Scope creep will likely stretch things a bit, but I figured $3,500 would keep you guys from suggesting something like a 200/1.8.

Jan 29, 2013 at 06:12 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password